Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 12:48   #136
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,346
Thanked: 24,791 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Came here to post just that, guys! Read about the XUV300 AMT and wanted to advise any potential owners to STAY AWAY! Not only is Mahindra's track-record with AMT reliability very poor, but I've also found their AMTs to be poorly tuned. This was surprising as they did a great job with the XUV500's torque-converter AT.

Besides, an AMT just doesn't suit a premium product like the XUV300. AMTs should remain restricted to cheap hatchbacks.
During the media drive of the XUV3OO, Mahindra asked us for feedback and also about an Automatic variant.

We mentioned to them that the package is really good but you are missing an Auto box.

We told them for such a premium package and such a strong engine the worse thing to do would be to offer an AMT over a proper AT box. We said the engine is strong and deserves a capable AT just like the XUV Aisin box.

Looks like they were already decided on an AMt and there was no going back.

It will be a shame to cripple such a nice overall package with an AMT.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 15:18   #137
BHPian
 
prakash_ajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 679
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looks like they were already decided on an AMt and there was no going back.

It will be a shame to cripple such a nice overall package with an AMT.
IMO, their only chance was if they priced the 300 on par with their competitors, rich features notwithstanding. If they opt for an AT now, that will simply take the prices way beyond what an average customer can digest in a compact SUV.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 15:40   #138
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
IMO, their only chance was if they priced the 300 on par with their competitors, rich features notwithstanding. If they opt for an AT now, that will simply take the prices way beyond what an average customer can digest in a compact SUV.
Or they can do an Hyundai and not offer true top end Auto. A proper Auto I mean
aniyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 16:54   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
During the media drive of the XUV3OO, Mahindra asked us for feedback and also about an Automatic variant.

We mentioned to them that the package is really good but you are missing an Auto box.

We told them for such a premium package and such a strong engine the worse thing to do would be to offer an AMT over a proper AT box. We said the engine is strong and deserves a capable AT just like the XUV Aisin box.

Looks like they were already decided on an AMt and there was no going back.

It will be a shame to cripple such a nice overall package with an AMT.
I think they will get better than AMT in bigger variant.
On a side note, whenever I see this car (whatever variant) I fee this should not have been restricted under 4 meters.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 18:04   #140
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,346
Thanked: 24,791 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
IMO, their only chance was if they priced the 300 on par with their competitors, rich features notwithstanding. If they opt for an AT now, that will simply take the prices way beyond what an average customer can digest in a compact SUV.
Ford offered a 1.5L petrol with DCT and now a 1.5L 3 cylinder with Torque converter. It is competitively priced so why couldn't Mahindra?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 19:40   #141
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 606
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Came here to post just that, guys! Read about the XUV300 AMT and wanted to advise any potential owners to STAY AWAY!
Thank you GTO for the timely post. Your initial post on the handling issue made me knock off XUV300 only to reconsider it post the official review. I was waiting for the AT/AMT for XUV300 and this seals it for me.

Guess your suggestion does not apply to Nexon AMT which is one of my other shortlist apart from Vento TSI and Rapid TDI AT.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 15:55   #142
Newbie
 
SpideyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 16
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ford offered a 1.5L petrol with DCT and now a 1.5L 3 cylinder with Torque converter. It is competitively priced so why couldn't Mahindra?
I think Hyundai is the one to blame here, they have no serious competition with Creta and priced it out of the park and still got away with it pretty well. Now Mahindra followed the same road, promoted a few bells and whistles like auto dual zone ac, heated mirrors etc which IMHO are not really important or worthy and portrayed the 300 as a competitive car to Creta. At least that is what they trained their sales team as I've heard this from two dealers. Looks like it's working for them so far.

There was a great opportunity of pricing it lower and providing a proper AT but Mahindra instead decided to get greedy and not to add value to it's brand. We all know the story what happens to greedy folks. Hope Mahindra realizes this soon.
SpideyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:51   #143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kochi
Posts: 89
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

The XUV300 is one of the better polished Mahindra cars out there. Its truly a premium car for the price. It looks so good, that if Mahindra had not reduced the length and launched it against the Creta, it would have been a better success.
This car deserves a proper Automatic gearbox, even the Marrazo needs one. They could have developed a single one for both the cars as they had the same engines. This car feels more like a Hyundai than a Mahindra, so I do expect similar levels of refinement. I don't think a Mahindra AMT can offer a smooth drive.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 14:23   #144
BHPian
 
RM Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 410
Thanked: 858 Times
Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

XUV300 Diesel AMT | Review | Autocar India & MotorOctane



RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 1074 14th April 2019 10:42
Mahindra XUV300 Electric to get 350 - 400 km range JS Kwt The Indian Car Scene 10 21st February 2019 13:35
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 300 29th January 2019 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks