Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 11:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes S-Class Review (W223)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

Could you please elaborate on this? I am not sure what "damaged" tyre means and how it relates to the rim diameter.
So, the overall diameter of the wheels is going to be the same (limited by the wheel well). Now you could have larger rims and narrow (low profile) tyres or slightly shorter diameter rims and wider (high profile) tyres. In India where roads are not so great, high profile tyres would be more comfortable and abuse friendly.

Narrow (low profile) tyres get easily damaged on bad roads filled up with potholes. They are more suited for western countries where the roads are much better quality - there it aids better handling.
Rahul_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:16   #17
BHPian

Really enjoyed reading the comprehensive post. The S-class is one heck of a beauty, both inside and out. The Germans love technology on their cars and it shows in all their models in the most intuitive and engaging manners. Cheers
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I feel so unqualified to comment on this thread on account I am not even in a sniffing distance of target customer base but I feel W221 with its bulky rear and strange metal bands going across tail lamps was the best looking S class of this century yet.
After that it kept getting better (of course!) but also much more common and in current avatar does not stand out as much as it did, say back in 2007-8.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:10   #19
BHPian

A fantastic review of a fantastic car. It's got dazzling looks and unbelievable features. The blocked part of the grille (for the radar) somehow looks out of place.
Thanks once again.
Old 29th September 2021, 18:29   #20
BHPian

What an excellent review! I'm waiting for the CKD models to be introduced so either replace my W222 or Panamera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I still prefer the styling (inside & out) of the W222 though. IMHO, Mercedes did a "W140" with the W222 and it'll go on to become a much revered model.
This was my thought exactly. Logic says replace my W222 with the W223, but the W222 is such a gorgeous car which exudes an image of power, that I'm half considering replacing the Panamera with the W223, and keeping the W222.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post

I lost respect for Mercedes ever since they introduced the light up emblem. Seems like they too understand that it is the badge people are actually paying for.

At the rate with which so-called premium features are trickling down into the 15-30 lakhs segment, it is becoming harder and harder to justify the prices of these vehicles.

It would be interesting to see how these premium brands continue to justify the prices they charge when vehicles costing less than 25% provide 95% of the features. Guess they will spend more on advertising; just like Rolex.
I think you answered the question yourself. Everyone can get by with a Samsung A72 90% of time. But there are those who buy the S21 Ultra ( guilty me). Similarly, the people buying this car aren’t looking at the value proposition of features v price. They are buying it because they want an S Class, even if it happens to feature retro style oscillating fans in future.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review Akshay and GTO for your impressions. You must have had a good time with the car though there could be some limitations to how much of the car's potential could be explored in the driving conditions in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Mercedes, please give the CKD 18-inch rims and not 19s as rumoured. Just not practical for India. I blew a tyre of the W223 inside Lonavla on what wasn't even a pothole! Just a rough road patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
20" rims are silly and impractical in India. We ended up with a damaged tyre in Lonavala.
Quite a serious thought to be noted regarding the tyres. In sports mode, the suspension is really stiff and hardly offers cushioning even at lower speeds. This is a recipe for tyre blow outs considering the mammoth weight of the car and the thin side profile of the tyres. Even on 2-3cm kerb stones on the road the suspension is jarring in sports mode. Comfort makes it much better. Hence I feel 18 inchers would be the most practical option along with careful use of the driving modes. Sports does make highway handling better, but its not good on roads with expansion joints and the like in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkumar View Post
The blocked part of the grille (for the radar) somehow looks out of place.
Normally for the other vehicles in the brand the radar is located behind the star logo in the middle of the grille. But since in the S Class the star is not present in the grille and only as a pop up emblem, this would cause such a design limitation so that the radar can function without interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
I miss in these days of just having a screen there is some of the craftsmanship that can come with physical dials,

users used to get headaches. Last thing you want from your instrument panel, is it to be headache inducing, especially in your line of sight while driving.
The physical dials are definitely going to be missed. But compared to the 222 without the 3D display, the 223 can provide you virtual dials with a sense of depth which actually looks good to me. However the depth in this mode is not too much. The max 3D depth is perceivable when you select the map to be displayed in the center of the dials which is really where anyone can notice the depth. This could take some time to get used to and might have potential issues. But for the other display categories, it is only noticeable for those with a keen eye or someone who has been made aware of it.

Quote:
At the rate with which so-called premium features are trickling down into the 15-30 lakhs segment, it is becoming harder and harder to justify the prices of these vehicles. I am, of course, not one of those people for whom money is no object, so my opinion might not be qualified but rationally speaking, the value proposition is quite terrible unless the salutes the badge gets and the doors it opens is what you specifically want.

I am surprised at how quickly panoramic sunroofs, LCD dash clusters and surround cameras made their way into the 15-30 lakhs segment and even lower if we include the MG Astor and XUV 700.
Lower NVH - check (no engine noise)
More Torque/ faster acceleration - check
Better handling - check (lower CoG)
I would like to differ here. Of course, you get a 360 degree camera in a 10L rupee car in our market. But if you experience the feature in either car, you will know where all the extra money goes. In simple, though on paper both cars come with this feature, you cannot just compare the product that is implemented. That can be the same for almost every feature that you want to compare. In the same way, the XUV700 provides the same twin display dash that was on the previous generation S Class. But compare them side by side and you will notice the difference easily.

When it comes to performance on the road, given our conditions the expensive cars come with their own limitations and that makes you feel its not worth the price. But bring a mass market car and a premium car to ideal world conditions, or a country thats close to ideal such as Germany, and you will notice the difference again. Forget mass market cars. Even between a C, E and an S class there is a huge difference in the real world experience even though they might have similar features on paper.

Hence, it is not all about the badge that people end up paying so much of money to buy an S-Class. There is a lot more to it. The EQS would take it a few notches higher and that is the real show-stopper IMO.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 00:35   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks for the quick review. Really liking this format.

I lost respect for Mercedes ever since they introduced the light up emblem. Seems like they too understand that it is the badge people are actually paying for.

At the rate with which so-called premium features are trickling down into the 15-30 lakhs segment, it is becoming harder and harder to justify the prices of these vehicles. I am, of course, not one of those people for whom money is no object, so my opinion might not be qualified but rationally speaking, the value proposition is quite terrible unless the salutes the badge gets and the doors it opens is what you specifically want.

I am surprised at how quickly panoramic sunroofs, LCD dash clusters and surround cameras made their way into the 15-30 lakhs segment and even lower if we include the MG Astor and XUV 700. Yes, the premium brands still excel at coach building and the quality of materials and craftsmanship is better but not 5x.

You're correct but I guess for people for whom money is not an object, these automobiles are more of a status symbol and social standing, not to mention that in many businesses you can't hide your income so better spend it instead of paying huge amounts in taxes. Right?
Old 1st October 2021, 14:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Class CKD to be launched on 7th October.
Old 1st October 2021, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Both the rear seats have footrests that pop up and when fully reclined (with the passenger seat moved in front, mind you) are super plush.
My local MB dealership had the W223 on display and I didn't miss out on the chance to check out the gizmo laden limousine. My observations:-
  • For reasons best known to MB, the electrically operated footrest is reserved for the 'boss seat'; (for the uninitiated, the seat behind the front passenger). This disparity in rear-seat comfort for twin occupants is perplexing, to say the least.
  • I found the 4D audio feature, wherein the embedded speakers within seats sync with the audio to deliver bass output, to be a bit gimmicky, but others might find it immersive; horses for courses!
  • The haptic buttons, which have replaced the physical ones, are modern but not as functional. Especially so on the steering wheel where muscle memory is more attuned to the clickity-clack of rotary knobs and dials.
  • The rear doors open really wide and it will be a struggle for the seated passengers to retrieve them on their own, but most occupants will probably have a chauffeur to assist them, so there's that!
  • The central infotainment screen is absolutely gorgeous but the rear-seat screens are not comparable in either size or resolution. Furthermore, you do get a browser in this latest-gen MBUX module but there is no provision to use the in-car eSIM data to browse the internet. You'll have to create your own WiFi hotspot for the same!
  • The number of massage modes in all the seats of the S-Class is outrageous and will give an upscale spa, a run for their money.
  • Despite being a CBU, the Indian-spec misses out on augmented-reality navigation, a really novel feature in conjunction with the digital lights which it has!

I yearn for the day when MB and other luxury car manufacturers will allow all their models, especially those above the 1 Crore bracket, to be completely configurable (as is the norm in the West). That will solve the problem of being stuck with unnecessarily low profile rims which are aesthetic but hazardous on our treacherous roads, amongst other less useful accoutrements.
Actuator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 16:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

After the jumping wiper, the rear wheel steering is the most addictive thing to watch. An S Class popped up in my friendly workshop last month so caught them shifting the car into a tight space.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd October 2021 at 21:34.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:13   #27
BHPian

Great review and insights.

Last evening I took a short test drive of the S400d (CBU). And like mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the AMG side skirts are too low and scrape even short speed bumps (once which my low slung Audi S5 Sportback clears). Things are better with the raised suspension setting which help clear medium sized ones (which the S5 scrapes), however it does take a lot more than a couple of seconds to raise, which is quite annoying especially when the car will scrape almost every speed breaker!

As reviewed, the car is fantastic otherwise, would go to the extent of saying, the CKD would be money well spent (if you are chauffeured around).

The driving experience was very good, I dare say even better than the 730ld (I have used my dad’s over a dozen times clocking around 2000 km both in city and Highway).

The 20” rims do thump into potholes deeper than 2 inches with a bit of a shudder, unacceptable for this segment. I suspect that things will be better with the 19” alloys.

The rear wheel steer is unbelievably impressive at low speeds. I helped me make what seemed like impossible 3 point turn, and my Bro in Law had no problems dealing with a narrow passage which would just about work for me a regular user of the passage in a Q7, while he is new to both big cars and the passage. Unfortunately the traffic didn’t allow me to test the car at higher speeds.

However as someone who drives regularly, I cannot be raising the suspension every time I encounter a speed bump and I hope lack of AMG skirts in the SKD / CKD car fixes the problem. I am sure it will be no harm for Mercedes to offer a made to order variant with some driver friendly equipment like rear wheel steer, massage and ventilated front seats for a few lakh more. I would sign up for one right away.
316kmph is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuator View Post
For reasons best known to MB, the electrically operated footrest is reserved for the 'boss seat'; (for the uninitiated, the seat behind the front passenger). This disparity in rear-seat comfort for twin occupants is perplexing, to say the least.

I yearn for the day when MB and other luxury car manufacturers will allow all their models, especially those above the 1 Crore bracket, to be completely configurable (as is the norm in the West). That will solve the problem of being stuck with unnecessarily low profile rims which are aesthetic but hazardous on our treacherous roads, amongst other less useful accoutrements.
I'd assume the footrest issue is because for to be even remotely practically useable, the front seat would need to be pushed far in front, which is not possible to do for the driver's seat.

And Mercedes India does at times allow you to customise and order a CBU depending on their allocations, and even if not they always source rims of other specs, all one needs to do is ask. I've done this on both my S Class and C Class, and had in the past done it for me E Class as well.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 14:34   #29
BHPian

So nice to stumble on this thread. Given how chip shortage is panning out, no two S class are alike. I picked a North American version of S580 this August (No stock for S500). I'm impressed and happy to see that Indian market gets nice features like Digital Lights (They are not same as multi-beam lights, the labelling on lights explicitly mentions this). Multi-beam is standard on all S-class and digital lights is an upgrade. USA has not approved this light technology and is not even an option in US market. MBUX will display options for digital lights config if equipped on the car.

Features like energizing coach that monitors your health parameters via watch do not work on Mercedes (I imported genuine Mercedes-Benz Garmin Venu watch from Germany - There is no oauth linking available between Mercedes Me and Garmin - I will keep you all posted if I'm lucky to have a resolution). The software team is really slow with updates.
Also, new on this car is advanced tolling system that removes the need for toll transponders, and backend service is provided by Payviam

Some features/quirks I learned in these last 2 months:
1. Android auto - Only Google maps will show navigation directions on HUD
2. Carplay - Only Apple maps will show navigation directions on HUD
3. Keep a handy list of direct commands, you won't have to say "Hey Mercedes" for trivial things like mute/unmute music, change tracks
4. User can be authenticated via Voice (Voice training needed, standard feature - Say "Load my profile", Camera (Perhaps 3D dash needed) and fingerprint (standard on all S class)
5. Enable "Dynamic Contour Seats" on chosen seats to allow each seat to manipulate seats contours to hold you in place when steering moves. This will reduce body roll. Next year models might have curve assist available that would compensate for lean by adjusting shocks with the 48V system. This is available with the road scan package. Not an option in 2021.
6. Interior assistant that can open sunroof with a gesture is a standard feature at hardware level. When you personalize the car, this feature will disappear if your car code does not mention interior assistant available. I bought the same car that I test drove. After applying the mercedes me profile, the feature has not worked since, and the dealer said it was not part of package. Perhaps Xentry software hacking needed
7. Burmester 3D sound is nice, and if you haven't fiddled with the customize settings - which is easy to miss setting, you are not experiencing "nicer". That's the only option available to configure bass for normal to "punch". The calibration is an audiophile's dream
8. Ionization under air quality menu is not a gimmick. It does help with dust allergy
9. Perfume Flacon (optional) unlocks (unscrews) itself in 5 seconds when glove box is opened. Never test perfume action with glove box open. It won't work.
10. A weird quirk which could have led to crash in my case - I had a car in a parallel lane that changed lane abruptly and started tailgating me too closely, S class activated hazard lights, applying brakes for emergency stopping, tightens seat belts and activates the pink noise.
11. Microsleep detection is an awesome feature. I had dozed off and it identified the situation. Very reliable. You can fake sleepiness to simulate this warning.
12. Lane assist does not require applying torque at steering wheel. It is capacitive touch, so you can just place your hands on the wheel. No need to adjust steering
13. If you block the stereo camera that monitors your eyes, the parallax display will revert to 2D mode. You might also get a warning to adjust steering position and recalibrate.
14. Rear view mirror does not adjust automatically for the seat config menu when driver height is entered.
15. When rear cross traffic alert activates and applies emergency brake, the entire car will halt with a jolt. You might be forced to believe that you hit something. This is a weird quirk.
16. When the door handles retract, it won't hurt any human if finger or body part is stuck in the door handle cavity. It won't take effort to free up the stuck part. Once removed, the door handle will retract normally.
17. There is no car wash mode unless you have the 2022 version with road scan, curve and 48V system
18. You could do speeds of 75mph in eco mode with just electric motor and engine off (It's not hybrid, more like ISG types) while going downhill. This arrangement in eco mode is different from a typically coasting scenario where engine braking and a gear holds the speed while sipping less fuel. Battery power typically lasts for a minute.

I do agree with 20" tyre configs, the thumps and tyre noises over them. I'm personally looking for a downsize to 19".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think you answered the question yourself. Everyone can get by with a Samsung A72 90% of time. But there are those who buy the S21 Ultra ( guilty me). Similarly, the people buying this car aren’t looking at the value proposition of features v price. They are buying it because they want an S Class, even if it happens to feature retro style oscillating fans in future.
The key here is that value proposition varies from person-to-person. After years I fulfilled my dream to own a flagship, and every equipment is worth it and justifies the price tag. Most of the equipments do not even get a proper PR/visibility, so merc's price is not justified for the uninitiated. Seats itself run into packages worth 20 lakh of upgrade depending on how it's kitted (translation from USD). The point is S class offers features that makes it luxurious like suspension upgrades, steering upgrades, heat and seat cooling - For ALL, useful massagers - For ALL, intuitive controls, safety firsts and most importantly the material and technology used. Having owned several brands and 14+ cars over two decades, I can say Mercedes pricing is spot on with the competition (Lets us not factor in import tariffs). I do not like lot of bling and a technology lover. I have no complaints with S class pricing for the value proposition. There is never a guilt in owning a S class due to its leadership in safety and value proposition. If equation is just A-to-B, then S class is over kill.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd December 2021 at 06:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
devsoftech is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
If equation is just A-to-B, then S class is over kill.
Funnily enough, most of the S-Class owners, actually use their cars for an A-B type of a commute. At least that's the impression a commoners like me gets !

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 2nd December 2021 at 17:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks