Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 13:30   #16

Re: Tata Tiago CNG Review

I drove the petrol tiago and the iCNG version this week (26th January), I had earlier inquired for the CNG version but they said they don't give test drives for CNG vehicles. Initially, I took a test drive of the petrol version which I ended pretty quickly. That's how bad the car was to drive. Perhaps the test drive vehicle was pretty old and rash driven a lot so the condition wasn't that good.

Disappointed I was about to leave for home when I noticed an iCNG tiago being parked in front of the showroom. I asked the sales guy if I can start the car and get a feel of the vibrations and that I wont drive it. After starting the car, the sales guy joined in and said this is in fact a test drive car so we can take a drive. (this is TREO TATA, Safdarjung, Delhi)

Points noted: the CNG car being a new one had considerably lesser vibrations than the petrol version, having said that if the petrol has a level 10 vibration the CNG has level 8 vibration. The steering wheel, gear nob and even the seat was vibrating, the vibrations are even more noticeable when the car is stationary. Accelerating the car makes the engine scream and gasping for air(or gas in this case ).

Conclusion: The NVH levels are very disappointing, considering the same engine is in the Punch, the Punch is a lot more refined and less audible. A car with so much vibration and engine noise is not ideal for an office ride everyday. I feel it will add to the stress after a long day at work and Delhi traffic. I had high hopes from the tigor and was really considering it for my next purchase, but I have striked it off my list.
derick is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Whenever they launch it with the automatic, that will be a real game changer. I’ve always maintained that a factory fit CNG automatic is the ideal car of daily urban usage. Especially with relevant sub 10L electrics being a decade away. A Tiago CNG automatic at 9.5L with a assured resale makes a lot more sense than a Nexon EV at 18L.
I second that.. An automatic with a CNG is the need of the hour. Those who spend hours in bumper to bumper traffic will appreciate the ease of driving and enjoy the FE of a CNG with this option. I doubt that, it will be a torque converter or CVT though.
rahul_dg123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 15:47   #18
BHPian

I am sharing the below comments basis my usage of Hyundai Santro Sports Edition in CNG mode. Though I could never get myself up to buy a CNG, the finance ministry was hellbent on it (as she was the primary driver of car). Happy wife is happy life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

• No boot space at all due to the CNG tank. Get a carrier for those long journeys!
My wife uses CNG for city use only and the zero boot means even bread, milk, vegetables need to be kept under the seat. In our case, we hardly have the back seat occupied, this works for us. For others it may not work.

Quote:

• Reduced power output is evident on the highway. CNG mode has lesser top-end performance
This is very evident on all CNG cars especially when overtaking in highways. If I hit brake, car takes its own sweat time get back to speed where even floor to metal won't work. Hence a primary city use case makes sense for CNG.

Quote:

• Many Indian cities & towns don’t have CNG pumps. Queue for CNG can be long in metro cities
We use it in Noida and queues are usually long if one tries to fill during the day. If you try non-peak hours, queues are manageable. Recently a new CNG pump opened near my place and now its walk in, fill and drive out.

Quote:

• Firmer suspension & higher tyre psi rating means you feel more of the bad roads / potholes
• Higher maintenance costs & upkeep (overall) in comparison with regular petrol variant
• AMT / AT unavailable with the CNG kit, although we expect it to be introduced in due time
• Removing & putting back the spare tyre is a tricky affair due to the CNG tank location
• Some deleted features = no alloy wheels and parking sensors
• All passengers need to get out of the vehicle while refilling CNG
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
In short, most of the above points are short comings of a CNG car design itself and the Car manufacturers understanding of the user base. After sales is a big if now with all companies throwing in surprises every now and then. Even my Santro had to visit service station 5 times within the first 1000KM's as check engine light won't go away.
sunnsood is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 16:17   #19
BHPian

A question regd the CNG tank: Tata Tiago CNG Review

Hello all,

As usual, amazing and detailed review!! However I was just thinking about this lack of boot space question. Hopefully the more knowledgeable members can answer

Can the CNG tank be integrated into the spare wheel space of the car?? With most cars having tubeless tyres, the need for stopping and changing the tyre immediately is minimised to a great extent. Plus every town or village which is even reasonably near the highway (National and State) would have a tyre shop now. So the compromise here would be the lack of a spare tyre. But at least minimal boot space would be provided in return.

So is this feasible / possible?
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 16:19   #20
BHPian

Great review and pardon me if I missed about petrol tank capacity ? Surely when need of power is there for shorter duration ,petrol could be used.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 18:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as usual. Good to know the integration has been great by TATA.

Any idea what's the boot space in case of Tigor as it had a larger one(400L?) compared to Tiago(242L). If one wants some boot-space along with CNG maybe Tigor is a better option?
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 19:35   #22
BHPian

When WagonR LPG was launched in 2007 or 2008, the LPG tank was in the position of spare wheel. Why cant the OEMs design such an arrangement for CNG? Is there any technical limitations? Such an arrangement would have saved the precious little boot space.
ontheroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 20:10   #23
BHPian

I see lots of comments talking about boot space or the lack of it.
Following two videos should help you:

Tiago:

Tigor
DriveOnceMore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 21:43   #24
Team-BHP Support

Re: A question regd the CNG tank: Tata Tiago CNG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_dg123 View Post
I have one question- why don't Indian car makers use a Type 4 CNG cylinder which weighs much less (around 1/3rd) than the current generation and may positively help in increasing the CNG FE further.
Price. A quick search showed that the cylinder alone costs Rs 55,000 (source). I think that defeats the purpose of being cost-effective.

Maybe if the manufacturers see a rising demand for CNG vehicles among private buyers, they'd probably offer the Type 4 cylinder sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Great review and pardon me if I missed about petrol tank capacity ? Surely when need of power is there for shorter duration ,petrol could be used.
The petrol tank capacity is the same as the regular petrol car - 35 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
Can the CNG tank be integrated into the spare wheel space of the car?? With most cars having tubeless tyres, the need for stopping and changing the tyre immediately is minimised to a great extent. Plus every town or village which is even reasonably near the highway (National and State) would have a tyre shop now. So the compromise here would be the lack of a spare tyre. But at least minimal boot space would be provided in return.
I don't think that's possible. The CNG tanks are cylindrical for a reason. CNG is stored at high pressure - ~200 bar (much higher than LPG). The sphere is the most ideal shape to contain high-pressure gases as it distributes the force uniformly. However, a spherical container would be impractical to place in a car. The cylindrical shape is essentially an elongated sphere and is more practical.

Last edited by Omkar : 27th January 2022 at 21:46.
Omkar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 07:41   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• Many Indian cities & towns don’t have CNG pumps. Queue for CNG can be long in metro cities
• All passengers need to get out of the vehicle while refilling CNG
Excellent and a well-detailed review Omkar. One positive thing is Tata has joined this CNG race at the right time and can definitely address the negatives to become a good competitor.

Even the Wagon R's boot looks cramped and ugly. There is no parcel tray as well.

The above "cons" are generalized ones and not particular for Tata alone.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:46   #26

Re: A question regd the CNG tank: Tata Tiago CNG Review

Quote:
Price. A quick search showed that the cylinder alone costs Rs 55,000 (source). I think that defeats the purpose of being cost-effective.

Maybe if the manufacturers see a rising demand for CNG vehicles among private buyers, they'd probably offer the Type 4 cylinder sometime in the future.
I agree. The retail prices of Type 4 cylinder are on a higher side, but if the big 3 CNG automakers decide to use them, the sheer volumes can bring the prices down soon. Moreover the increased FE should be able to offset the extra cost (Type cylinder cost vs current cylinder cost) in just few months (assuming the CNG owners have a decent monthly running.
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:33   #27
BHPian

What happens when you are rear-ended by HCV? Does that puts occupants life in danger because of the CNG kit at the rear.
Old 9th August 2022, 12:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tigor iCNG XM variant launched at Rs. 7.40 lakh

Tata Motors now offers the Tigor iCNG in XM trim. It is priced at Rs 7,39,900 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Tata Tiago CNG Review-image-1-15.jpg

Tata introduced the Tigor with a factory-fitted CNG option in January this year. At launch, the car was offered in XZ and XZ+ trims. The XM variant is the new entry-level trim in the Tigor iCNG lineup. It comes equipped with features such as a Harman infotainment system with 4-speakers, power windows, central locking and rear parking sensors.

Tata Tiago CNG Review-image-2-13.jpg

The Tigor iCNG is powered by a 1.2-litre petrol engine that produces 72 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 95 Nm @ 3,500 rpm when running on CNG. It is paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

The Tigor iCNG is available in four colour options: Opal White, Daytona Grey, Arizona Blue and Deep Red.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th August 2022 at 12:43.
TusharK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:31   #29
BHPian

Tata Tiago NRG iCNG Announced :

• Tiago NRG iCNG is India's First Toughroader CNG with a high ground clearance of 177 mm and retuned suspension.

• Available in four attractive colours - Foresta Green, Fire Red, Polar White, and Cloudy Grey.

• Two Variants Tiago XT NRG iCNG
₹ 7,39,900 lakh & Tiago NRG iCNG ₹ 7,79,900 lakh ex-showroom price.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago CNG Review-4ba4e2101c144eb4a7daa59a6e76f57e.jpeg  

Tata Tiago CNG Review-e3a04965641447b4929679bc524409f5.jpeg  

Tata Tiago CNG Review-5e42a7e0fd5a4a548557c915045674ec.jpeg  

Old 24th January 2024, 16:14   #30
BHPian

I think TATA has done the biggest release of the year so quietly without any hype or hoopla.

TATA announces opening of booking for India's first CNG with an Auto Box. AMT might not be ideal, but it is a great start!

[url=https://x.com/TataMotors_Cars/status/1750093413368906037?s=20[/URL]

Great Going TATA
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago CNG Review-tata_cng.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks