Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 15:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Mercedes C-Class Review

Looking forward for the 220D and 300D review. It's going to be Mercedes Diesel vs BMW Petrol with Audi trying to squeeze in between with its sole 2.0TSi.
The Mercedes Diesel specs are too good on paper, hope they do perform on road as well. With lot of buyers preferring Petrol power and Mercedes new pricing model will be interesting to see how market responds. Also with 3/3GL/340i BMW has been able to target buyers from different segments, Mercedes will have to price this well.

Last edited by PrideRed : 9th May 2022 at 15:21.
PrideRed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 16:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review! The drivetrain with ISG is explained very well.

I feel things are getting too risky for a buyer. Companies are willing to throw every available technology into the car just to achieve lower emissions. Cost benefit analysis is completely missing. I think the transition period between now and going full EV is going to be painful for buyers. Neither EV reliability can be trusted nor all this black magic they are adding to ICE can be taken for granted.

There are lot of changes under the hood due to this ISG. I don't know about this C class but in general this so called mild hybrid 48 V ISG removes belt and belt driven accessories and uses new type of compressors and pumps etc. It's all good when everything works. When it comes to German brands, first and second generation of anything new will usually be problematic.

Just when we Indians are barely getting to afford these premium German brands, the companies, in step with their local sentiments, are going mental with emissions. Do we really need a 1.5L petrol with all this complexity at 70L price range of onroad price. Plus you almost always to buy extended warranty and expensive insurance cover when the car is packed with so much that is just waiting to go wrong.

My suggestion is to hold on to pure ICE cars and switch to EVs when the technology is mature. These half-baked complex cars with 1.5L engine is not worth your hard earned money. Buy a BMW 330i - seedhi baat no bakwas
androdev is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 16:56   #18
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2022 at 18:51.
umohan98 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2022, 17:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Wonder why will MB India not have enough C300 for media drive
The C200 and 300D were both there for test drives. However, given the very short review window, they were pre - allocated and each journalist team got either one or the other. Hopefully, as is often the case, we can get a 300D sometime later and add the review of that specific engine to this thread. Both Akshay and I were quite impressed with the driving dynamics of the new C and were quite keen to experience its performance with a properly powerful engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Mercedes has lost the NCR market for sure - petrol dominates here and giving the option of only 1.5L mediocre engine will make people flock into the BMW showrooms.
Agree in principle that NCR buyers are going to miss having a more powerful petrol and some buyers may flock to the BMW for that reason - the 330i petrol engine definitely sets the performance benchmark in this segment.

However, I suspect there will still be enough takers constituting the predominantly chauffeur driven, who would still pick the C for its enhanced comfort, luxurious interiors combined with improved fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Also it's a let down in terms of dimensions. While the wheelbase has increased by 25mm to 2,865mm the 330Li dominates with a wheelbase of 2,961 mm.
Agree with CEF Beasts in the statement below. The more apt comparison would be C Class vs regular 3 series. Of course, this is subject to where Mercedes chooses to price the C Class and if its uncomfortably close to the Li petrol variant then these lines may indeed blur a bit in buyers' decision making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
3 GL slots in between the 3 and 5 so comparing the wheelbase of the W206 C with the 3 GL is not right. Compared to the regular 3 the new C has a 14mm longer wheelbase.
Quote:
Engine spec-wise the C200 even with the 1.5L petrol looks powerful enough on paper, but for a premium sedan (60L OTR atleast) getting a 1.5L is a big No whatever the specs may be on the paper.
Indeed, while initial turbo lag is masked really well and the car takes off smoothly and briskly, its when you push the petrol powered C that you realise there is no escaping the downsized capacity and you can feel the engine straining just a bit. This is a really mature car in every respect and we're confident that the more powerful engines should provide a fairly rewarding driving experience.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 17:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
3 GL slots in between the 3 and 5 so comparing the wheelbase of the W206 C with the 3 GL is not right. Compared to the regular 3 the new C has a 14mm longer wheelbase.
Precisely my point. Mercedes is not launching the LWB variant in India as confirmed by Overdrive and hence this C class will also have to compete with the 330Li.

Mercedes really needs to price this very attractively and also offer good service packages. We are likely to either see good discounts (not great though given the short supply these days ) or Mercedes re-thinking about their plans - getting the 2.0L engine back and/or introducing the LWB version.

https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...sion-in-india/
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:27   #21
BHPian

I am surprised how so many are complaining here about the mere "1.4L" engine in a premium car like Mercedes.

It's a turbo charged engine, not naturally aspirated engine as everyone knows. So effectively, it's equivalent to a 1.5 x 1.4L = 2.2L legacy NA engine. Very respectable 0-100 time of 7.3. It's something like BMW 323i or 328i (never launched in India probably). It may have reliability issues due to more moving parts (MHEV)?

Remember when people complained about when possible turbo reliability issues when Germam started moving from NA to turbo engines? Last checked, except for Audi R8, none of big 3 Germans offer any NA engines today and they sell in millions still. Turbo in my 12 year old Audi still runs great!

C200 has a great base engine, great FE. It will be better in every measurable yardstick compared to previous generation C200. Audi 40 TFSI also has around same power.

Reminds me of the disdain some pick up truck owners will have for a "mere" 4-cylinder engine in a truck. As of today, the Chevy etc all have base turbo four engines in pick-up today and they beat their six-cylinder NA counterparts.

Lastly, Mercedes has always been selling low power base engines in C class and a Merc has never been cheap (duh!).

Their 2010 C180, with 2.2L diesel had "mere" 128HP.

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercede...cy-120hp-44276

Not everyone needs under 6s 0-100 in their car, other yardsticks do matter. I think it will be a success.

Here is a link about downsizing in trucks from mighty V8s to tiny V6 and how V6 (turbo) wins in every respect. It's a technological improvement in every sense.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th May 2022 at 21:26. Reason: Minor formatting / spacing edits for improved readability.
OffRoadFun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 22:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
I am surprised how so many are complaining here about...
Do you hear anyone complaining about AMG A45 S having only a 2.0L engine?

Is Mercedes-Benz putting 1.5L engine to delight me? No, they are doing it to meet some crazy emission regulations. Are they putting 48 V technology in 200d for fuel economy? No, they are doing it for all cars as a transition path to full EV platform.

If they cared so much about environment, put the EV development on steroids and spare the customer all these high maintenance gimmicks. This car has all the components of an ICE and EV that a customer needs to pay for and maintain without benefiting to the fullest from either technology.

I will buy the best ICE car, the best hybrid car or the best EV car for my money. This car is the best of nothing.
androdev is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Is Mercedes-Benz putting 1.5L engine to delight me? No, they are doing it to meet some crazy emission regulations. Are they putting 48 V technology in 200d for fuel economy? No, they are doing it for all cars as a transition path to full EV platform.

If they cared so much about environment, put the EV development on steroids and spare the customer all these high maintenance gimmicks. This car has all the components of an ICE and EV that a customer needs to pay for and maintain without benefiting to the fullest from either technology.

I will buy the best ICE car, the best hybrid car or the best EV car for my money. This car is the best of nothing.
What I do know is the car in discussion C200 (W206) is better than outgoing C200 (W205) in every measurable yardstick, be it acceleration of fuel economy. Here is why:
https://www.auto-data.net/bg/compare...=37064&carId3=

Whether they are doing this for environment or not is something I can't comment on though I believe almost every automaker knows by now EVs platform has to be completely different than ICE/MHEV and they have their EQ, but that's off-topic.

But again, people looking for upgrade, looking for C-class will buy this car in India (and abroad) is what I mentioned based on its virtues as seen in the link.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2022 at 07:08. Reason: Don't get personal
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 08:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

EU regulations have become so strict about CO2 emissions that manufacturers can no longer sell pure ICE cars in most cases. This mild-hybrid is the cheat code to be emission compliant. Most EU cars will be shipped with this nonsense contraption. It carries very high reliability risks and cost burden without any apparent benefit to the end user. Grab those pure ICE cars before it's too late or wait for a decent EV.

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-48battery.png

Reminds you of something, doesn't it? At least, DSG is a lot of fun when it works.

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-dsg.png

Last edited by androdev : 10th May 2022 at 08:49.
androdev is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

In conversation with Martin Schwenk, MD and CEO Mercedes-Benz India, talks of the new C-Class, its positioning, waiting periods and more.

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:48   #26
BHPian

Great review. Whenever there is a new design element associated with Mercedes, they do a fantastic job with each new iterations be it exteriors or the interiors. A true luxury brand in my opinion and very unlike the BMW with large gawky grills et al. Having said that, if I am held at a gun point and forced to buy the Bimmer, I'll walk away with 330i because - 1.5L engine and I am in NCR.
Old 10th May 2022, 12:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India has launched the new W206 C-class.

Prices start from Rs 55 lakh for the C 200 and goes up to Rs 61 lakh for the C 300d.

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-20220510_124916.jpg

Deliveries to start this month.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th May 2022 at 13:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:02   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The C200 and 300D were both there for test drives. However, given the very short review window, they were pre - allocated and each journalist team got either one or the other. Hopefully, as is often the case, we can get a 300D sometime later and add the review of that specific engine to this thread. Both Akshay and I were quite impressed with the driving dynamics of the new C and were quite keen to experience its performance with a properly powerful engine.
How silly of MB! Instead of splurging on the travel & event expenses to relatively remote Mussoorie, they should have ensured all journos get the chance to test drive both variants.

For example, Skoda would have been roasted for doing this. It's akin to saying imagine your impressions of the other variant. It only has a different engine, suspension setup & interiors
itwasntme is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:16   #29
BHPian

Nice and Crisp Review.

Pricing is spot on. Comparing to all other cars sold in India and outside, MB is one manufacturer who keeps minimal difference in costs.

A C 200 costs about 36 lakhs in US ex Showroom. In India the starting price is 55 lakhs after our super high govt taxes on automobiles.

Comparing the same to Toyota, Hyundai and Honda who have major market in US, the pricing is very reasonable.
VALLURIS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mercedes-Benz India has launched the new W206 C-class.

Prices start from Rs 55 lakh for the C 200 and goes up to Rs 61 lakh for the C 300d.

Attachment 2306434

Deliveries to start this month.
Pricing is ridiculously high.

I would rather buy an A4 along with a VW Virtus 1.5 than having to buy this dud 1.5 Ltr C class aka “Baby Benz”.

An Octavia looks like a steal deal here.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed