Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:23   #61
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT

I have had the next gen Hector for 2 months now and the overall experience has been an absolute pleasure. I havent faced any of the issues reported by an earlier post in this forum. Negatives pointing at font size, fuel lid size are just unbelievable. MG hectors speaker system has been rated the best in class when compared to other cars in this segment and above. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...d-systems.html (Cars with really good OEM sound systems) It just feels too good when listening to music. I havent faced any issues with the infotainment system except for the fact that jio saavn takes a few seconds to load when compared to other screens but that maybe expected as its pulling the content/thumbnails from the internet. But if you are using android auto or usb its a breeze.
Ironman82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 00:47   #62
BHPian

[PART 1 of 2]

Hi guys !

First of all, my apologies for not replying to your queries and concerns with proof. I totally agree that if I was in your shoes, I would also be sceptical about someone who has posted their first post here, and given out such a bad review of a new car, and then didn't turn up to defend their claims.

This is going to be a lengthy post, so brace up.

A little about my cars first. I have a BMW GT Sport Diesel (2016), Innova Cysta ZX Diesel (2019), Seltos GTX Diesel (2020), XUV 700 AX7L Petrol (2021) and the MG Hector Plus Petrol (2023).

One of the questions someone asked was - how did I get the car so quickly. Basically, we were looking for something in the range of 20-30 L. We tried Compass (didn't like it), Superb (OKish), Octavia (Okish), Seltos (Amazing, but 1 month waiting time), Harrier/Safari (pretty basic), Had a horrible prior experience with Maruti, so didn't want to even consider, Innova Hycross (wanted petrol hybrid, but loooong waiting). So, we went to the MG showroom, saw the car, liked what we saw, took a very small test drive (more on this below), and booked a SILVER car on 23rd Jan (wrong dates in the original post - sorry !). Got a delivery time of 1 month. Were told that a WHITE color car was standing with them - the customer's loan was not being passed by the bank - so if the loan is not passed by tomorrow (24th Jan), we can offer that car to you. On 24th, got the call early morning that the other guy's loan is not going through, so if you want the car, it's yours. We abandoned our wait for the silver color, and went to the showroom on 24th Jan, and got delivery by evening after completing formalities.

Since we wanted the car before 31st March, we had also booked a silver Seltos just in case our original Silver Hector Plus was delayed beyond 31st March. Cancelled the Seltos booking eventually.

Another question being raised was - Why didn't I notice these things during the test drive. The answer is - I was given an unregistered vehicle for a test drive. It was not a TD vehicle, but a vehicle which must have been sold to someone else later. Since it was not a TD vehicle, agency guys wanted to have as less KMs on the odo as possible, so took a TD of about 2 Km - and you can very well imagine how much you a gauge in a TD of 2 Km.

On the morning of 24th, before delivery, I did a thorough PDI, the Odometer reading was something around 25-30 km. So, my car was not a TD vehicle or a used vehicle. It was brand new in all aspects.

On this being a "hit job" - I am not into Automobiles as my profession. I have no affiliations or hard feelings about MG. I have absolutely no skin in the game for me to try and tarnish their brand.

I clicked the videos/pics on 19th, but typing this today on 23rd night. The current reading on the Odometer is 2,653 Km.

Some more observations since the last post :

1. The Audio system is BONKERS !! I drive the car almost daily, but always have other people with me, so can't really turn up the audio. 4-5 days ago, I had a chance to do about 100km alone, and got absolutely blown away by the deep lows and crystal highs of the audio system. I tip my hat to the audio team. Recommendation to all - Listen to any and all songs from the album Paper Trail by TI. It's from 2010ish, but still as awesome as it was back then.

2. Auto turn indicators are a nice touch, but for us Chandigarhians, they are a bit of an issue since we have to traverse Roundabouts, and the car just keeps on giving random left/right signals all the time while you are navigating the roundabout - indications which are not the correct direction where I'm going to go.

3. Fuel efficiency is pathetic. I'm getting 7-8kmpl on a 50-50 mixture of city and highway driving with a reasonably light foot - never crossing 90-95 in the last 1,000 km.

4. I have noticed that the screen takes a lot of time to turn on when the car has been parked for more than 2-3 hours. BUT if you start it in less than 2-3 hours, 50% of times it turns on quickly (2-3 seconds), but the rest 50% is again the long wait.

5. 50% of times when I turn on the AC, I hear a 0.5 second phusshhhh sound from under the car - like pressure being released. Don't know why.

6. About 20% times when the car is accelerating, around the 60-70 kmph mark, there is a clanking sound from under the car with a small jerk. Don't know the reason, but it certainly is not the sound of some rocks hitting the car floor.

As proof, I have uploaded a few videos of the car to Youtube (didn't know where else to upload). Links below : (Please click on the links since Youtube seems to have converted some videos into shorts, and their thumbnail isn't showing here. There are a total of 6 videos)

Ventilation -

Fuel Lid -

Traction Control -

Screen start time - 40 second delay before I can use the screen ( 00:12 to 00:51 in the video) -

Fonts -

Screen Off - Buttons issue -

Photos of my car are below :
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.44.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.45.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.47-1.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.47.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.48.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.49.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.50.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-whatsapp-image-20230324-00.41.52.jpeg  

Dcsastudent is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 00:51   #63
BHPian

[PART 2 of 2]

I tried, but I could not make a good enough video of the gear shift delay, and the rear camera delay thing - it did not happen while I was making the video. It happens for sure, so will try again to make the video.

I understand that the issues I'm facing might be isolated and other owners might not be facing these issues, but that certainly does not make my review a "hit job" on the reputation of MG. As I said, I have nothing to gain from bad mouthing the car. I was once in your shoes - with the XUV 700. My car - despite being the first AX7L of Chandigarh region - didn't have even 1 issue with it - and the whole world was going crazy at the numerous faults in their cars. They were bad mouthing the brand, while I was defending it.

I highlighted all these issues to MG on their twitter (agency and service guys were clueless), so MG people are coming to my place on sunday to check out the issues. Will update what happens.

After this post, I am always ready to answer any questions, but if there are still doubts, the mods can nominate 1 person who can come and check out my car at my home in Chandigarh. This is the maximum proof I can give.

I hope my review will be seen in a better light in view of the proof I have provided. Cheers !
Dcsastudent is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 07:04   #64
BHPian

Did you try switching on the AC and then changing it to interior? I dont switch on the AC until the engine is on and mine is always set to internal circulation and doesnt switch until I press the external option. If its still not working, reach out the service center as your issue definitely seems like a one off. I dont think anyone has reported any of the other issues or if they consider it as an issue.
Old 25th March 2023, 10:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman82 View Post
Did you try switching on the AC and then changing it to interior? I dont switch on the AC until the engine is on and mine is always set to internal circulation and doesnt switch until I press the external option. If its still not working, reach out the service center as your issue definitely seems like a one off. I dont think anyone has reported any of the other issues or if they consider it as an issue.
Tried every single thing :

1. Turning on the AC
2. Changing all modes
3. Leaving the AC off when turning off the car
4. Leaving the blower on while turning off the car

MG guys are coming to my place tomorrow to check out the car. Will update what they say.
Dcsastudent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 09:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcsastudent View Post
MG guys are coming to my place tomorrow to check out the car. Will update what they say.
First off, thank you for taking the time out to document the issues. I believe the issues like the font being confusing are not fixable but others might be. Also, it might be better to get written confirmation from MG over the issues so they cannot wash their hands off of your case. Taking copies of the job card is also an option.

Secondly, could you please update what the MG people said? Since the issues are so pronounced in your case, the insights might help some non member reading the forum who might be facing them as well.
Doonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 12:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
First off, thank you for taking the time out to document the issues. I believe the issues like the font being confusing are not fixable but others might be. Also, it might be better to get written confirmation from MG over the issues so they cannot wash their hands off of your case. Taking copies of the job card is also an option.

Secondly, could you please update what the MG people said? Since the issues are so pronounced in your case, the insights might help some non member reading the forum who might be facing them as well.
Hey! I will try to document, just so that issues are attended to in detail. I've suffered extensively on the hands of Hyundai, when in 2015ish, we were sold a customer returned 2nd hand i20 as BRAND NEW, and then within the warrranty period, the turbo got replaced, the windshield got replaced thrice and there were many other niggles.

I have not been able to take my Hector to MG SC since it was the end of FY, and anyone in a business will understand how hectic that is. It is in my agenda to take the car there in the next few days and get things sorted out. Will update.
Dcsastudent is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 00:04   #68

I have Hector 2023 SAVVY PRO AT ADAS for 20 days now. My other current cars are 2015 BMW X5, 2008 Accord & Altis. My opinion so far:

1. EXTERIOR: Decent upgrade though if MG didn't want to invest in designing new tail lights, old Hector Plus tail lights with a very slim joining bar would have been much more contemporary. These tail lights are very garish. Chrome elements in front grill are too many and too big though style is nice. And tyres width needed to be at least 225.

2. INTERIORS: A great job. A good combination of soft and hard finishes. Hard finishes are not cheap looking or rough in feel. Brushed aluminium trim is very modern though poorly fitted at many prominent places. Mood light is a bad joke as it's too bright at night with no intensity adjustment. Can't be switched on at all. Even switch lights are too bright at night and have no intensity adjustments. My 15 years old Accord has them. ECO button has no light (only a leaf icon by the D mode icon in instrument panel) so very difficult to check if it is switched on when vehicle is in neutral. Built-in sunshades in rear doors is a cheap feature and is missed in a vehicle with such great feature list.

3. INSTRUMENT PANEL: Good looking. However, too many features are hidden in menus. At least trip meter and warnings should be permanently visible. And inexplicably - no clock. Navigation mirroring simply doesn't work and always showing trying to correct. TPM info is completely unreliable. Panel brightness sometimes resets to max when car is switched off for a few hours. Night brightness setting affects day setting also. So one is always adjusting it - first time I have felt need to do so over my 8 cars in last 25 years.

INFOTAINMENT SCREEN - impressively large. 360⁰ camera resolution very decent and effective. But too much backlight bleed makes it very bright at night and causes poor contrast. Panel needs an immediate upgrade. Still quite slow and touches are error prone. Whole system hangs frequently and requires restarts. Default music should be Saavan - not USB (or give a choice) & Saavan should load in background the moment car is switched on as it takes too much time to start. Should have at least 10 GB ROM (doesn't cost anything nowadays) for own music storage (with playlist recognition) as pendrive blocks data port permanently and intrudes in space. A big, permanent clock and A/c controls on top are sorely missed by all occupants.

PERFORMANCE: Competent. Engine, gearbox and suspension are better than what I had expected reading various reviews. Just don't expect it to perform like a driver's car.

FUEL EFFICIENCY: Horror. Checked it by filling tank to brim thrice. Just getting 6 km / ltr, driving mixed in city + highway. No wonder HECTOR is the only current car in my knowledge that doesn't show average in instrument panel. MG knows what to hide.

SPEAKERS: Best in class. Though MG should specify wattage in brochure/manual.

APP: Very ambitious in scope though 30% features don't work at all and another 30% give wrong information - e.g: it shows a fuel efficiency of 8 to 16 km/ltr which is absolutely false. MG server is frequently down. Overall a disaster currently but can very easily be improved.

USER MANUAL: Again a very poor job. A mish-mash of old and new Hector , full of wrong and missing information. English is poor frequently. And no one from dealer to MG support knows that like all vehicles, Hector will be damaged somewhat if it is not broken in - ie, driven with restrain for 1st 2000 km, as mentioned in the manual. This short changes customer massively.

BHARAT VI PHASE 2 confirmation. I had taken delivery in March 2023 and had paid 50k extra for RDE version. But MG has still refused to certify that this vehicle is RDE compliant even after numerous emails. Very strange.
Mike1010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 16:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1010 View Post
I have Hector 2023 SAVVY PRO AT ADAS for 20 days now.

2. INTERIORS: A great job. A good combination of soft and hard finishes. Hard finishes are not cheap looking or rough in feel. Brushed aluminium trim is very modern though poorly fitted at many prominent places. Mood light is a bad joke as it's too bright at night with no intensity adjustment. Can't be switched on at all. Even switch lights are too bright at night and have no intensity adjustments. My 15 years old Accord has them. ECO button has no light (only a leaf icon by the D mode icon in instrument panel) so very difficult to check if it is switched on when vehicle is in neutral. Built-in sunshades in rear doors is a cheap feature and is missed in a vehicle with such great feature list.

Hi Mike,

I did a detailed PDI of the car and a few issues stood out and I wanted to check if you noticed these:

1. Slight bulge in the roof liner on the Left side rear (pic attached) - I examined a few other hectors and did not find this. I have asked them to rectify but they are hesitant to tinker with the roof liner. Any suggestions? I hate having that thought in my head!
2. Poor fit on the Centre console brushed aluminum pieces where the gear lever meets the infotainment screen. (pic attached) - this fit issue I saw with all hectors I could find in the lot/ showroom. I guess I will have to live with it.
3. Scratch on the fuel lid (very small but nonetheless visible and deep), they have addressed with a new part apparently
4. I did start the car and switch on all features - the Auto Hold light did not come on after pressing (parking brake did) ... is it only on a incline or in motion this comes on?
5. Car had covered 43kms.
6. Finally, if you can highlight best deals (on price, loan financing, accessories received, freebies) it will be useful.

Thanks in advance! cheers
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-image0-1.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift Review | 1.5L Petrol CVT-image1-1.jpeg  

krish69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 17:06   #70

Hi,

Didn't check roof liner. Central console trim is misaligned at four places.

I have never used Auto Hold so can't say.

New model so no dealer was offering any discount in March.

Vehicle have tons of issues - many are rectifiable through software update / tuning, some would require small hardware change, like trim. But quite a few (like bad infotainment screen quality) we will have to live with.

Can other users please update on the fuel efficiency? I am just getting 6 km/litre in normal city driving. Driving me nuts.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th April 2023 at 17:38. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2023, 23:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Can other users please update on the fuel efficiency? I am just getting 6 km/litre in normal city driving. Driving me nuts.
The fuel efficiency is horrible, and considering the car outputs just a puny 140ish BHP, it is a case of daylight robbery!

In comparison, my XUV700 petrol - which I drive like an absolute madman - using all the ~200BHPs every single time all the time - and I still get 9.5 to 10kmpl in the city.

I would have been happy if the power figures for the Hector Plus were near the XUV, but for 60BHP less, I'm getting a mileage of 7 to 8 kmpl !
Dcsastudent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 09:01   #72

Is it true that XUV software - infotainment and otherwise, is even worse than new Hector? Though it will take some doing !!
Old 15th April 2023, 16:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that XUV software - infotainment and otherwise, is even worse than new Hector? Though it will take some doing !!
It is a hit or miss, I will say. For me (luckily), it works efficiently, but many people are facing issues.

Alexa in the XUV is a major plus, can get to do a lot of stuff through it.

AC controls on the XUV are physical buttons (albeit without a control screen for temp and fan speed - which are displayed on the main screen up top), but still the physical button are MUCH better than Hector's on screen controls.

The audio system in the Hector Plus is miles ahead of the XUV. One of the best sounding systems I've heard.
Old 24th April 2023, 22:03   #74

AC through main screen probably means better intergration with software which allows them to remotely set temp etc through app. But still, they could easily dedicate a permanent 18 mm wide strip on top of that huge LCD for AC and clock.
Old 25th April 2023, 07:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
AC through main screen probably means better intergration with software which allows them to remotely set temp etc through app. But still, they could easily dedicate a permanent 18 mm wide strip on top of that huge LCD for AC and clock.
That's not correct. The Seltos and XUV700 both have App-controlled AC settings - despite having physical AC buttons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks