Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 11:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite AMT Review

At that price range, it's bound to be a bestseller. The competitive pricing is a strong selling point, and the product has already established its reputation as a reliable choice.
raptor_diwan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 11:42   #17
BHPian

A good value proposition.

Seems like they are luring Swift AMT buyers
Magnite AMT : (ex-showroom)
XL – Rs 7,44,000 (Swift VXi AMT 7.50)
XV – Rs 8,21,000 (Swift ZXi AMT 8.18)
XV Premium – Rs 8,89,500 (Swift ZXi+ AMT 8.89)

With Magnite, one will gain 4-star Safety, bigger cabin, higher GC, ESC.
And will lose out on power and driveability with this being 200kg heavier (and Fuel economy too).

On a unrelated note, not everyone can like Exter. If you happen to follow Exter and get a fleeting look from rear, you'll spend next 1 hour in shock as to how Hyundai made such an ugly duckling. Compared to that, Magnite surely is a head-turner IMHO.

But the biggest question is Nissan's survival in India, which would happen only by launching new models.
electro-monk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 12:40   #18
BHPian

I had a short ride on the Magnite once with 5 people squeezed in. I found the engine to be gruff. There was bit of huff-n-puff from the engine before the torque really kicked in everytime you shifted gears or stepped on the gas.

How does the AMT fare in that aspect?
Old 11th October 2023, 13:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I had a short ride on the Magnite once with 5 people squeezed in. I found the engine to be gruff. There was bit of huff-n-puff from the engine before the torque really kicked in everytime you shifted gears or stepped on the gas.

How does the AMT fare in that aspect?
Which variant did you drive, Turbo or Non-Turbo?

I have driven the Magnite Turbo CVT variant and found it to be extremely capable power wise on a full load. It is a CVT so you have to coax it a bit in the lower end to hit the Turbo band, and once Turbo kicks in, there is no dearth of power.

The AMT is being offered on the Non-Turbo variants and is squarely aimed at folks who want a practical automatic and don't mind an AMT automatic (the segment this is priced at only has AMT for the automatic option anyways)
Engine is underpowered as compared to the Turbo variants. While sufficient for city and plain surface rides, on a full load you will have to push a bit if riding on ghats/inclines. Turbo variants should be the choice if power is of need.
SutilSapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 14:58   #20
BHPian

This strikes a nice VFM proposition. But who's buying them? Nissan isn't going to survive with just one model. I miss the days of the k9k and the wide portfolio of Renault-Nissan
venukrithish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:24   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutilSapien View Post
The fact that they've been able to price a CSUV with an AMT at the price point of a Swift, WagonR etc is surprising.
Certainly well-priced, I must say! Total value for money and let's not forget, this is a 4-star GNCAP crash-tested car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
At that price range, it's bound to be a bestseller. The competitive pricing is a strong selling point, and the product has already established its reputation as a reliable choice.
1. Won't be a best-seller due to a multitude of reasons related to Nissan. Although, I hope it brings a nice small bump to the current sales level of 2200 - 2500 Magnites a month. Nissan is a 1-car company currently. More sales will lead to a healthier company which is better for us customers (more the competition, the better things get for us). Nissan will also be launching more products in the coming years, starting with the X-Trail.

2. Wouldn't agree on reliable choice as it's no Maruti to own. Renault & Nissan have cut costs all around to get a competitive price for the Magnite & Kiger. With time, that cost cutting shows. Customers have been complaining of niggles & issues here & there.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2023 at 10:25.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:28   #22
BHPian

Good review!
My wife drives a Magnite Turbo Petrol CVT version. There are a few things that I would like to mention based on the experience with the car for the last one year.

First things first, the value it provides for the money, it is really great VFM car. I really can't see why people buy a Punch at a higher price than the Magnite. If it is for that 1 star extra safety, I can't agree as Maruti / Hyundai have cars with 1 or 2 stars that sells more than Tata. A-S-S as well is not better comparing Tata and Nissan. Punch, as such has too many options to choose and if you are looking for a decent package for such a small car one has to shell out more than 10L on road- and its a similar 3 pot petrol AMT. I did multiple test drives of the Punch and had felt the engine is harsh and the ride is no better either.

Now coming to Magnite, some of my observations below.
Driver seating position and the pedals are super comfortable to drive in the city. NVH is not as good as my Vento but certainly much better than a WagonR and is comparable to Tata's Punch.

I cannot comment on the engine and gearbox in this thread as this is a NA Petrol with AMT thread. Just would make it a point that, at the same price range, the 3 cylinder Turbo Petrol is miles ahead of the Punch's NA 3 Pot.

The ride comfort is not as bad as what Omkar claims in the review. It is certainly stiffer and not plush. But not bad either. I normally keep the tyre pressure at 32 PSI and not more than that.

Windings roads are not at all a problem. I can say that because I tested this on the 70 hair pin bends to Kolli Hills. Nowhere it reduces your confidence in the corners.

Omkar had stated already all the other positives of Handling, Steering, Braking and Ground Clearance. Coming to the niggles, one has to take breaks in long rides as travelers will feel the fatigue after 3+ hrs of drive. It could be because of stiff suspension and the tyres. But this is how I felt. Some owners reported brake noise. Probably its just a CVT phenomenon. Paint quality is not as good as my Vento. Wipers started making noise within a year. Wireless charging has gone kaput in the first year and waiting for the part to be replaced under warranty.

Overall, I would say, Nissan Magnite is one of the most underrated cars as the negatives are very less compared to the positives for the price you pay.
Crank is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 15:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Magnite AMT introductory pricing extended till Nov 30

Nissan has extended the introductory price offer on all bookings of the Magnite AMT till November 30, 2023.

Nissan Magnite AMT Review-nissan-magnite-ezshift.jpg

The Magnite AMT was launched at the end of last month at an introductory price of Rs 6.50 lakh. The SUV is available in five variants: XE, XL, XV, Kuro Special Edition and XV Premium.

The Magnite AMT is powered by a 1.0-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine that makes 71 BHP and 96 Nm. The engine is mated with a 5-speed automated manual transmission.

The Magnite EZ-Shift gearbox offers automatic and manual driving modes. It features anti-stall and kick-down as well as a creep function that lets you drive the car at low speed by releasing the brake pedal without having to use the accelerator. It also comes with Vehicle Dynamic Control as standard, along with Hill Start Assist.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th November 2023 at 15:08.
Old 29th November 2023, 18:07   #24

[quote=Omkar;5640587][center]

Nissan Magnite AMT Review

#Omkar, Thanks the detailed review of the #NissanMagnite AMT. Magnite has over the last 2-3 years since its launch had several build quality & engineering issues like steering retractor not responsive; failures in suspension or bearings or Bush alignment; vibrations, rattling & loose parts; Dashboard / door / suspension noises and gaps in fittings; low grade / quality parts & components. Have some of these build quality & engineering issues been resolved, or the build quality & engineering issues still persists. Shall appreciate your views
pskrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 08:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

I believe the Magnite as a product is definitely VFM but somewhere the Nissan brand has stopped resonating with people. With Ford exit, there is always doubt about future of Nissan and it may be just matter of time before they decide to pull the plug. That's the only reason I can think of keeping people away.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 11:15   #26

I close acquaintance of mine has Magnite Turbo, which on slightly rough roads, rattles like hell - from here, from there and God knows from where. Although on highways, the car drives really well. But the rattles and some fit & finesse issues are really off putting. It really mars the driving experience.
Old 2nd January 2024, 13:24   #27
BHPian

I am still wondering why the delayed launch. Nevertheless I was looking at a secondary car for my wife / local runs. This appeared to be a good choice. The XE Version. It has all the basics covered however the sluggish engine is a let down but even if I choose to look beyond that the fuel efficiency / the dealer responses are equally or more worse. So that is where I paused!
Old 25th February 2024, 01:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for a car in my hometown in Kerala to be used for city errands by my mom. I needed something economical and the only requirement was that it should be a petrol automatic and minimum 4* safety rating.

Driving pleasure was not really a concern as it would be driven by a chauffeur. Initially I was looking at used cars and had almost finalised an Altroz for 7.xx Lacs. But my brother rightly pointed out that a low slung hatchback or sedan won't really be comfortable for my mom to get in and out of the car. And he suggested me to have a look at the Magnite instead as the base variant is quite economical.

I had driven the CVT version of the Magnite last year and I remembered that it costed around 12 Lacs, which was way above my intended budget. But when I did some online research, I realised that Nissan had launched the AMT and the base variant ex-showroom price was 6.6 Lakhs! The car lacked many features but was relatively spacious, had a decent ride, good safety, looked alright and was apt for our requirements. Yes, the engine was way too underpowered and I dreaded the AMT transmission, but since I'm based out of India anyway, I'll be rarely driving this car and so it did not matter.

So on 15th Jan 2024, I called up the Nissan showroom in Cochin and booked a base variant Magnite XE with EZ Shift (AMT). Booking amount was 11k. We had booked the car in black.

I had planned a trip to Kerala on 3rd Feb, so I had requested for delivery on the same day. On 29th Jan, the sales advisor called me to inform that they have not received any black cars, but brown and red is available. Though I wanted red, my family preferred brown and we asked him to proceed with brown.

I wired him the balance payment on the same day via bank transfer. Till the delivery date, all formalities of the car booking and registration were done though phone and WhatsApp. I nor my family ever visited the showroom. I have to admit, the dealership handled the process very well and everything was smooth!

On the due date, I went straight to the Nissan dealership from the airport. Picked up the car, drove to the tyre shop and changed the steelies to alloys. The next day, fitted some essential accessories as listed below.

Accessories :

Done at dealership:
- Wireless charger
- Front and rear bumper cladding
- Shark fin antenna
- Led fog lights
- ORVM painting in black
- Car body cover

Done outside dealership:
- Alloy wheels
- Blaupunkt headunit (Series 900 DAB) with speakers
- Reverse camera
- Central locking
- LED headlights
- Horn (Roots Windtone)
- Armrest

On Road Price - 7.69 Lacs
Accessories - 1.02 Lacs
Total - 8.71 Lacs

As expected, the car is not at all a tarmac scorcher. If you try to push it hard, it's just noise and no go. Best is to drive it sedately. Let the AMT do it's work slowly and be patient. Apart from the engine noise, the NVH is very decent and the ride is comfortable. Whenever I try to be critical of the car, I always remember the price of the vehicle. The other AMT car in this price range is the Wagon R base variant. And surely I feel the Magnite is a better choice.

Overall, for 8.71 Lacs, I feel I have purchased a very VFM vehicle with all the basic essentials and other necessary features installed aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite AMT Review-20240204_081336.jpg  

Nissan Magnite AMT Review-20240204_154804.jpg  

Nissan Magnite AMT Review-20240206_120907.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 08:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Done outside dealership:
- Alloy wheels
- Blaupunkt headunit (Series 900 DAB) with speakers
- Reverse camera
- Central locking
- LED headlights
- Horn (Roots Windtone)
- Armrest
Could you please tell at which shop (and location) these accessories were fitted?
Old 29th March 2024, 22:27   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
The cheapest AMT, The Alto K10 VXI AGS costs Rs.5,61,000 ex-showroom, and with the base model Wagon-R 1.0 AMT costing Rs.6,54,500 ex-showroom, The Magnite AMT with its 4-star safety rating, space and SUV like appearance should sell in good numbers, but with only one car in its portfolio, it's definitely high time that Nissan look at bringing in a few other options, how long can it survive with the Magnite. It's already three years in the market and without any major updates as such too.
AMT model should give an upswing- good move.

Why dont they bring in a corresponding Triber model? This brings sister Renault 1500 monthly sales! Would retooling not make business sense?

Regarding the prescribed panacea of 'bringing other models' its important to note only SUVs will sell that too a minimum delta of 1000 monthly nos should be the bare ask. Now do you really think that's possible with X Trail, a premium model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks