Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 19:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi

Prologue: On my recent trip, I got a deep ding on my XL6's rear right door. While I parked quite away from the Dzire, the Indigo parked quite close to my car. After some time, the security siren went off. When I came outside, I saw the rear door of Manza tightly pressed against my car and that had triggered the siren. By the time I rushed down, the erring car was gone, leaving a nasty paint transfer and ding on my door.

I was not ready to get the door painted for this and lose my original paint and finish for such a minor dent. But it also kept bugging me for some strange reason. May be the prophecy of friendly mod Crazy Driver was coming true, and I was falling in love with the XL6.

I started looking for PDR tools online, and saw a Youtube video where Mr. Mitra was shown doing the PDR on a car. I contacted him, and he was kind enough to invite me today, despite being first day of the new year.

Services offered: Paintless Dent Removal(PDR)

He does PDR using:
-Suction
-Gum/ Glue system
-Special tools to reach the most difficult areas
-Magnetic puller(does awesome finish)
-Silicon hammer and punch to push down when metal has positive dent.

Advantages of PDR :
-Original paint retention. No matter how good aftermarket workshops become, they can never match factory finish. Period!
-Quick and minimal downtime

What I like:
-Friendly nature of Mr. Mitra
-Adequate parking space
-Professionalism exhibited, I was satisfied when the dent was 99% gone, but even then Mr. Mitra worked for an hour and made sure the entire dent was gone. I didn't get any point to object against as far as the work done was concerned.

What I dislike:
-Nothing.

Some pics:

The place where my car got its dent:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20201227_155528.jpg

The dent. It doesn't look so dramatic in pics, but it was a deep ding. Not your regular one. In pics, it doesn't look even 10% of what it actually was:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_175902.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_175915.jpg

Normally the PDR guys have a striped lamp to monitor the dent. Mr. Mitra had a setup which served the purpose equally well:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_175934.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_175950.jpg

The PDR Tools he used on my car, he had a lot of them stowed away:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_180004.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_180021.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_180033.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_180105.jpg

Mr. Mitra toiling on my car himself:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182146.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182159.jpg

A video of him pulling out the dent:

Finishing with the Magnetic tool, this was epic, removed every spec of waviness around the dent:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182244.jpg

Levelling out the peaks gently:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182216.jpg

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182230.jpg
Finally the dent was entirely gone, as the lines have become perfectly parallel:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182302.jpg

He also had a paint pen, which gave awesome results in case there is some paint damage. He showed me the results on a Creta and the scratch was barely recognizable, despite me trying hard:

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-20210101_182316.jpg

A word about Mr. Mitra:Gem of a person. Enthusiast of the highest order. His main business is something else, but he does all these things out of hobby. He also had an electric car, which caught fire last year during diwali perhaps. He has also turbo'd his Qualis himself. It's just a prototype and will get all new parts once the car passes its trials. Absolutely amazed to see his enthusiasm.

How much did I pay: I paid Rs. 1000 for almost 2 hours of his labour.

Labour rates: Final call is his, once he inspects the dent personally.

Who should visit him: Anyone who knows the value of "Original Paint".

Address: 3rd Street, Anantpur, Ranchi

Mobile: 82980 05533

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi

This is awesome and can only be done by someone who is truly passionate about cars.

Is there any such person or service center in NCR which fellow TBHP members are aware of ?
SinghBHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP View Post
This is awesome and can only be done by someone who is truly passionate about cars.

Is there any such person or service center in NCR which fellow TBHP members are aware of ?

Yes please, need someone like this desperately for Gurgaon/NCR. Tight mall parkings are a nightmare and given the literacy levels, door dings WILL happen. :(
Crazy_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 13:16   #4
BHPian

Wonderful professional service. Wondering if someone in Kolkata provides similar services.

I have got 2 similar dents on the back door of my Crysta and bought this DIY dent removal kit https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. However after watching several videos on Youtube I came to understand that post popping out a dent there is a possibility this popped surface would end up being higher or uneven as compared to the surrounding and requires careful leveling, something which I see in above case is also being done by applying a hammer and changing point of force application gradually.

So looking for a local professional who can do all of it with guarantee.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 14:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Wonderful professional service. Wondering if someone in Kolkata provides similar services.

So looking for a local professional who can do all of it with guarantee.
It's the same case with me as well. I too am looking for professional PDR service in Kolkata.

I have got 2 similar dings in my car, on the C pillars, both sides. Probably due to some fruit falling off a tree.

In case you come across a professional PDR service available in Kolkata, kindly post the contact details on the forum.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 20:09   #6
BHPian

I am praying that Mr. Mitra comes to Calcutta ! Need a dent removed, and am not likely to go to Ranchi for that alone !!
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 21:10   #7
BHPian

I was looking for some one like this to do it on my car. But unfortunately couldnt find anyone and finally got all the accesories myself and did a DIY. It is a time consuming process and takes lot of iterations. Almost like an artwork. Once pulled out, there will always be high spots. I used the rubber handle of the ball peen hammer with the blunt tip chisels / tools. For around 1/3rd price of the quoted repair cost, I did all the work myself and the tools still stay with me as a bonus. The problem with Paintless Dent repair is with microcracks on the paint layer because of all the fatigue from pulling and hammering down. I applied a very fine layer of clear coat over worked area and then buffed it off.

What is that magnetic leveling tool? How is it working? Does it have any specific name?
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 08:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice work on the dent Shashi, but I would suggest you to not care so much for dents and dimples. I do understand you love your cars (all of us do), but having a Maruti and seeing to it that it is dimple free is an impossible task.

I take utmost care to avoid getting them, but after a random stop at some public spots, you see dimples somehow. Just someone leaning on the weak pathetic sheet metal of MSIL cars can leave marks.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Just superb, I don’t have words to describe and praise the level of expertise he has, he made the panel look seamless.

I have exact similar kind of dent, almost at the same spot and i feel from a exact similar kind of incident, as far as remember i got the dent during my Munnar trip, when a group of guys parked their car parallel to my car, took utmost care to park as far away from other cars still got the dent. The dent is very small, as i came to know about the dent during routine wash and wax at 3M.

It would be of great help if someone can recommend such an expert available in Hyderabad.

My friend who owns a KIA Seltos(just a month old) got similar kind of dent when we were on our Goa trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) | Mr. Mitra @ Ranchi-4c9e44c510ea4ead983081d10eed0302.jpeg  

any23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks