Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 16:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
The car is a 2009 August model run 65,000 km. It was written of because the cost of repairing exceeded the IDV. The IDV was Rs. 4.2 lakh. Insurance company agreed to pay Rs. 3.8 lakh which I accepted.
Rohit, thats a freaky accident and glad that you came out of it fine. But, it nonetheless shakes up anyone

3.8 Lakhs for a 4.2L IDV is pretty good.

Just curious, if this incident hadn't happen, how much would it have been sold for?
Old 20th February 2013, 16:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just curious, if this incident hadn't happen, how much would it have been sold for?
Around 4.2-4.5 lakhs. So I did not lose a lot of money. That said, I do thank someone up there every day.
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:16   #63
BHPian

An excellent initiative by Nissan to stress the importance of Seat Belts.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/chenn...w/18772620.cms

Quote:
Motorists take away safety lessons from adventure
Mar 3, 2013, 06.22AM IST TNN

CHENNAI: It was an adventure of a new kind for many who sat strapped to seats inside a car that rolled over on a raised platform in Royapettah . They stiffened and thrust their hands onto the roof as the car turned 360 degrees . But they came away unhurt , vowing that they would never drive without wearing the seatbelt.

The roll-over simulator ,set up by car maker Nissan , gave people an experience of being inside a car when it rolls over , and taught them how seat belts should not be taken for granted . "You don't have to thrust your hands onto the roof because the seat belt will hold you to the seat ," said Shivam , from behind the wheels of a car to his co-passengers when it started tilting.

It was a fun trip plus learning for many visitors who went through the two-day safe drive programme organized by the car-maker at a popular mall . The simulators - a rollover simulator for seat belts and a low-speed crash simulator for air bags - usually used at R&D centres of car manufacturers were on display for people to try out. They simulate a situation that can be experienced only during a crash.

"It was a fantastic experience ," said K Kevin , a final year engineering student who tried out the crash stimulator . "I have been driving my car regularly , but this is the first time I have seen an air bag in action . And the good thing is that I didn't have to crash to feel it" . Demonstrators Shivam and Anupama said they have lost count of the number of times they tried the simulator.

"The first time it was frightening , but I got used to it after three or four rounds ," said Shivam who kept ushering in sets of passengers who were emboldened by the experience of the previous batch . "We use these simulators in our research and development centre for tests, but this is the first time we have brought them out for the public as part of our Safety Driving Forum activities ," said Anupama .

Nissan Motor India managing director Takayuki Ishida said the simulators were created with an initial investment of 7 crore to educate drivers , passengers and road users . "The idea is to reduce accidents ," he said . Similar awareness drives were held in Delhi and Mumbai recently . Thecompany has a tie-up with an NGO to educate taxi drivers to drive safely in Mumbai . It will be extended to Chennai soon , he said .
Binzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 10:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

I'm travelling in Chennai right now and I'm appalled to see 8 out of 10 drivers aren't wearing seatbelts, including the driver of the cab I'm in !
Old 8th March 2013, 11:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

Chandigarh and around is better off in this case 95% of the drivers wear seat belts here.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 11:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I'm travelling in Chennai right now and I'm appalled to see 8 out of 10 drivers aren't wearing seatbelts, including the driver of the cab I'm in !
Thats because seat belts are not yet mandatory here. Helmets are though and you still see people travelling without wearing one. So when there is no rule, I dont think anyone will wear it, least of all cab drivers, who largely ignore all the road rules!!!
Old 8th March 2013, 11:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Around 4.2-4.5 lakhs. So I did not lose a lot of money. That said, I do thank someone up there every day.
Lucifer, IIRC, you already had a couple of serious accidents with this car, right? It's good that you gotten rid of the car. But, it has been your savior too. Drive safe and be careful too!

Quote:
I'm surprised that you saw 2 out of 10, wearing seatbelts. I very rarely see people wearing seatbelts in Chennai, and the state government isn't interested to enforce it either.

Enforcing this one rule alone in East Coast Road, could save a lot of lives. But who cares?
Old 8th March 2013, 14:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I feel the seatbelt going across my neck rather than my shoulder in my Fiesta. This is not the case in the Figo though.

Is it a design flaw? Or is it nothing to worry about? There is no height adjuster for seat belts on the Fiesta Classic.

The first 2 pictures show the current position. The third pic is what I would like it to be. Sorry, the pics got rotated as I loaded them from my mobile phone.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130308_144501.png
Views: 3675
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130308_144524.png
Views: 3686
Size:  191.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130308_144553.png
Views: 3807
Size:  313.6 KB

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th March 2013 at 14:49.
Old 8th March 2013, 14:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Why drivers. Most of my friends here in Bangalore refuse to wear their seat belt if they are in he passenger seat. I just say to them I don't want your life on my hands in case of an accident, so to humour me they generally wear it. But their first statement to me is the law says only the driver must wear a seatbelt. The government needs to get proactive and make it mandatory for anybody in the vehicle to be belted. Can't see that happening though
Old 8th March 2013, 15:15   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Thats because seat belts are not yet mandatory here. Helmets are though and you still see people travelling without wearing one. So when there is no rule, I dont think anyone will wear it, least of all cab drivers, who largely ignore all the road rules!!!
Quote:
Indian Motor Vehicles Act Makes Wearing of Seat Belts Mandatory in Metros including Chennai. So that is the rule if people are not using the seat belt out there it is because the Local Police / Govt. is not enforcing the Law.

TOI Link to mentioning this:
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...eat-passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

I feel the seatbelt going across my neck rather than my shoulder in my Fiesta. This is not the case in the Figo though.

Is it a design flaw? Or is it nothing to worry about? There is no height adjuster for seat belts on the Fiesta Classic.

The first 2 pictures show the current position. The third pic is what I would like it to be. Sorry, the pics got rotated as I loaded them from my mobile phone.
Is the seat height adjustable. The Seatbelt must NOT come across the NECK. It is a marginal situation in your case and it is not exactly on the Neck nor is it in a comfortable position either. It must also NOT be across the lower chest but over the shoulder, just a bit away from position in first two snaps. Most "MODERN" cars come with Height Adjustable Seatbelts - As per global articles.

Seat Belt Adjustment devices are available off the market as also the comfort covers but neither is recommended as the behaviour of these devices in crash conditions are not known / tested. The soft cover that goes over the belt may be the only solution though that too is not recommended as it may compromise the quick movement of the belt in critical situations.

Adjusting the Seat Height or the Adjustible Seat belt is supposed to ensure that the belt passes over the shoulder rather than the neck. But if these too are not possible then one could also try say sitting over a towel to increase our height and hence make the belt go further to the side.

Last solution would be sell of the vehicle and get a more modern one. - couldn't resist that dig...

But seriously seatbelts being adjustable is something that should be made compulsory but then one does face the problem in some vehicle rearseats as well if one is on the shorter side. - My MIL faces this in the Aria mid row seats.

By the way I think we should advocate that rear seatbelts also be made compulsory.

Last edited by ACM : 8th March 2013 at 15:17.
Old 8th March 2013, 15:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some car's do not have adjustable seat belts so this discomfort you're facing is not unusual.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:45   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Never before as a driver and first time as a co-passenger, the experience of an accident that involved toppling. Seat Belts - Thank you for saving us without a bruise on our body.

This was an year before in Dec 2011 when I was the co-passenger at the driver's seat was my friend.

We were driving to my hometown Belur that afternoon when this accident happened around 4:30pm.

My friend who usually hasn't clocked much miles on a highway was at the wheel and we were barely 8 kms from our destination.

Most of you who have driven on the Hassan-Belur road would be aware of the fact regarding medians installed on various curves that for many new drivers comes as a surprise.

Since this is my usual route over weekends, I kept directing my friend on speedbreakers, nature of curves and speeds to maintain on certain stretches of this road when it was about time we were reaching this sharp left hander (with a median in the center).

Before approaching this curve, I asked my friend to slow down and slot into 4th and release the clutch (It was a Petrol Swift) which he promptly did.

The Mistake:: Wrong Steering maneuver

He started to take on the curve quite well but I could notice that he was slowly inching closer to the median on his right. At one point he suddenly panicked upon hearing the dry leaves crackle thinking his wheels were brushing against the median while I just asked him to slowly maneuver the car a bit towards the left.

His Reaction: Total Panic

Twisted the steering wheel rapidly to move left that resulted in the car to move diagonal to the road. We were doing about 65kmph and my friend completely panicked seeing that the car was now going to get off the road in the next 2 seconds and slammed the brakes. The wheels locked, with steering still in turned position, the car started to slide and turn towards the opposite direction of our forward movement and just then the rear right of the car collided against a rigid concrete block (the one they use to erect road signage) and flipped over resting with the belly looking at the sky.

The Skid marks clearly hint at the manner in which the car was getting off the road.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-10122011422.jpg

The car resting in the final position after toppling. Notice the concrete block next to it due to which the car flipped over. In the absence of it, the car may have merely rested in normal position without flipping over.

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-10122011424.jpg

As seen from the rear

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-10122011425.jpg

The impact suffered due to hitting the concrete block resulting in flipping over

ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-10122011433.jpg

That's me, holding the car documents calling the Insurance folks asking them if I can get the vehicle towed to the ASC and take relevant pictures.

There was absolutely no physical (Internal or external) injury to both of us and we immediately came out of the car. Luckily the front power window was rolled down after crossing Hassan for some fresh Air that helped us come out through it.

There is nothing else but one safety device that saved us: SEAT BELTS!!
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-10122011430.jpg  

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th March 2013 at 15:51.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 16:27   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Is the seat height adjustable.

Adjusting the Seat Height or the Adjustible Seat belt is supposed to ensure that the belt passes over the shoulder rather than the neck. But if these too are not possible then one could also try say sitting over a towel to increase our height and hence make the belt go further to the side.
Yes, the seat is height adjustable. But I put it at the lowest position as I find that most comfortable, with decent under-thigh support, compared to higher settings. Shorter drivers may move it upwards though.

Surprisingly the Figo, which is derived from the Fiesta, does not seem to have this issue.

Edit: @paragsachania-- that was a very scary episode. You guys were lucky to get out without major bruises. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th March 2013 at 16:32.
Old 8th March 2013, 16:32   #74
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the seat is height adjustable. But I put it at the lowest position as I find that most comfortable, with decent under-thigh support, compared to higher settings. Shorter drivers may move it upwards though.

Surprisingly the Figo, which is derived from the Fiesta, does not seem to have this issue.
Try raising the seat and keeping an appropriately folded turkish napkin under the legs near the front of the seat. Might help with under leg support as well as solve the seatbelt issue.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 23:10   #75
Team-BHP Support

A guy whom I randomly knew, passed away today, driving his i 20. The physical condition hint at the Car usage without seat-belt.

Steering breaks the chest & head-injury, enough to hint of a whip-lash.

He was married around a year back & has no kids.

My heart goes out to his family.

Please wear seat-belts & most importantly, drive/ride very safe & very responsibly (defensively) This would go a long way in insisting an incident free drive/ride for years.

Law of Murphy will catch, but you would be better prepared.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2013 at 23:11.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks