Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-38.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by satyamkaushik (Post 3031229)
I recently did a long highway drive (300kms) on the Yamuna Expressway with my new Skoda Rapid TDI.

The car has just done 930 kms till now.
People who have driven on the yamuna express way must be knowing, how difficult it is to control you self and not to speed up.

Would this cause any damage to the engine ?
Is there something that I need to do now ?
An oil change or something ?
The odo is currently at 1450kms.

A feeling of deja vu! I did the exact same thing on our brand new Ikon 1.6 Sxi in 2003 on the Mumbai Pune expressway when it had done maybe 200km. Clearly remember the speedo being at the end of the dial! There was a reluctance to rev past 3500 rpm and then a burning smell post which the engine completely freed up.

We just sold her last week. 1.5 lac km without the slightest bit of engine trouble ever.

Sometimes, I think all this running-in business is extremely hyped up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 3199144)

A feeling of deja vu! I did the exact same thing on our brand new Ikon 1.6 Sxi in 2003 on the Mumbai Pune expressway when it had done maybe 200km. Clearly remember the speedo being at the end of the dial! There was a reluctance to rev past 3500 rpm and then a burning smell post which the engine completely freed up.

We just sold her last week. 1.5 lac km without the slightest bit of engine trouble ever.

Sometimes, I think all this running-in business is extremely hyped up.

Hi Himan,
Unlike yours my rapid started giving the glow plug warning and the exhaust system warning later.
Got the whole wiring of the car changed at around 8000 kms and then later of got the sensor for the exhaust system changed at around 10000 Kms.

Each time Skoda took about 2 weeks to deliver my car back, giving me a reason that the parts have been replaced under warranty which requires a permission from main Skoda customer care and they then send the service centre the parts.

Thats the story till now.
My car give me a fuel economy of 14 kmpl with mixed usage in city and on the highway.

Taking a new car up and down the ghat roads helps in quicker run-in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 3333055)
Taking a new car up and down the ghat roads helps in quicker run-in?

Depends on how the car is driven on the ghats!

Longer revving the engine and lugging the engine on a higher gears are BAD for the car during run-in especially.

Try keeping the car in it is power band - here I mean not to race and power slide but keep it on the move so that it doesn't beg for mercy.

Anurag.

Check the manual. Most cars/engines don't need running in any more!
Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3334255)
Check the manual. Most cars/engines don't need running in any more!
Jeroen

No idea about the other manufacturers but my garage had two new additions i.e Maruti Swift ZDi and Ertiga ZDi.

Both the manuals says run in period is 960 kms.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3334272)
No idea about the other manufacturers but my garage had two new additions i.e Maruti Swift ZDi and Ertiga ZDi.

Both the manuals says run in period is 960 kms.

Anurag.

Great! there you go, I'm sure the manual will say something on how to drive during those 960km. Just stick to it and all will be well. Strange number by the way, 960km? You'd think they would round it up to 1000km or so.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3334239)
Depends on how the car is driven on the ghats!

I saw the rpm reach 2200-2500 during downhill coasting, hence was wary about it!

The manual for the 1.4 tdci stated 'avoid driving briskly' during the earlier 1000 km or so.

The 1.5 tdci doesn't mention anything about it(running in)!

This article mostly mentions about the initial driving styles for helping the engine to run in but I wanted to know during the initial run-in when the engine is new, does the extensive use of the air conditioner puts any load on the engine? And when we're bedding in the engine, IMHO it should not be put under load. As far as I know the A/C compressor uses a lot of engine power hence stressing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinity0114 (Post 3337499)
This article mostly mentions about the initial driving styles for helping the engine to run in but I wanted to know during the initial run-in when the engine is new, does the extensive use of the air conditioner puts any load on the engine? And when we're bedding in the engine, IMHO it should not be put under load. As far as I know the A/C compressor uses a lot of engine power hence stressing it.

We can use the A/C during run-in but I feel it must not be kept ON always and the most IMPORTANT part is the A/C or for that matter any loaf on the engine must be put after the engine had reached its optimum operating temperature.

Since my car is in the run-in period, for every drive I do, I use 50% A/C at 24 degree celsius. I don't keep it ON full time.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3334289)
Strange number by the way, 960km? You'd think they would round it up to 1000km or so.

Well a technical writer who wrote the manual for India may have seen 600 Miles for a manual made for the same vehicle in a country that counts in miles then multiplied by 1.608 to get 964.8 and negatively rounded off to 960. Or maybe just multiplied by 1.6 and got the exact no.

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinity0114 (Post 3337499)

The 'loading of the engine' due to the A/C is typically a few HP, maybe 3-5, so it is really only a few percent of the total (max) output of your engine. I wouldn't worry about it, you can leave it on if you want to. If engines need to run in, most manufacturers recommend going easy on the RPM's. Also, if possible, try and vary the loading of the engine. E.g. running in an engine on a straight 1000km run on a motorway at a steady 100kmh is not advisable. Varying rural with some motorway cruising is the ideal state!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Rao (Post 3337848)
Well a technical writer who wrote the manual for India may have seen 600 Miles for a manual made for the same vehicle in a country that counts in miles then multiplied by 1.608 to get 964.8 and negatively rounded off to 960. Or maybe just multiplied by 1.6 and got the exact no.

Good one, hadn't thought of that, you're probably right.

Jeroen

Any suggestion of running in of XUV? I would be picking up my car in a month.

I also would be driving my car for about 5000 Km during first month. I intend to drive the car for not more than 300km/day till 1500km.

BTW car is for personal use and some trips are lined up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaureanBull (Post 3342962)
Any suggestion of running in of XUV? I would be picking up my car in a month.

I also would be driving my car for about 5000 Km during first month. I intend to drive the car for not more than 300km/day till 1500km.

BTW car is for personal use and some trips are lined up.

Congrats in advance for the XUV 5OO.

Regarding the run-in, it is similar for all cars, keep the RPM varying continuously and don't cross 2000 rpm till the first 1000 kms, post that till 2500 kms you can touch 2500 rpm.

Just remember to be light on all the 3 pedals till 1000 kms minimum.

As you say, there are road trips planned, I would suggest you to keep in half an hour breaks between long distances and not do the whole trip in one shot.

Anurag.

It's only 5th day of my new XUV500 and only 250 Kms, so far I have been going light on engine with constant eye on rpm. I am maintaining in range of 1800 to 2200 (Manual says so) with going to 1500 when I shift up but bring to 1800 and occasionally to 2500 high, I hope I am not putting stress on engine at 1500 low or 2500 high.
I speed up slowly but in delhi just when you reach a 2K rpm on suitable speed either its a traffic signal or a traffic block, then shift down again.
Will this varying rpm range help in run-in in anyway?
As I shifted directly from honda city there has been 5-6 times I didn't press throttle enough during pick-up so it lugged for a flash second only couple of times. Would that have harmed engine?
Opinions please!