Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-47.html)

Hi, I need to know what is the Idling RPM for my Hyundai i20 Elite Petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itssmano (Post 3882240)

Isn't this mentioned in the owners manual of your car?

Check the last pages that give out the technical specifications of the car.

Quote:

Hi itssmano,
You can observe the tachometer of the car. When you start the car from cold, it will idle at high rpm. As the engine warms up, the rpm will stabilize and you can read the idling rpm then. Normally for this size of the engine, idling rpm will be around 600 to 800.

If you want to know the expected value, better to ask the SA or a technician at HASS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3882305)
Isn't this mentioned in the owners manual of your car?

Check the last pages that give out the technical specifications of the car.

Hi a4anurag,
I am under the impression that the idling rpm is not specified in the owner's manual. At least with my cars (M800, Santro Zing and SX4), it has not been specified. Did you find this in any of your car manuals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat (Post 3882319)
Did you find this in any of your car manuals?

Faintly remember but shall check and update.

Shouldn't it be there, actually? :)

Quote:

Firstly, you should realize the fact that idling RPM ain't a fixed value. It is a variable which is under the control of ECU. It varies depending on the temperature, workload (swings up a bit with AC), inputs from MAF sensor, etc.

Most of the engines idle at 600-900 RPM once the engine warms up to the optimum temperature. You need not be worried about it until it falls in that healthy range.

I don't think it will be mentioned in the user of the fuel injected cars or bikes, since it is not user adjustable; the A.S.S. guys will know it from their workshop manual.

In cars and bikes with carburetors, it is user adjustable and will be mentioned.

Hi all,
It is not mentioned in the user manual as I read through. The car was at a perfect idling rpm before the 1500 KM assessment, the Service guys have probably modified it after which I find it to be high. I have observed it varied condition but feel it is not right. I seek to set it right.

As far as I remember Honda doesn't specify a run in period for the City in its manual (correct me if I'm wrong). I read some 'general' run in articles online that said go easy on it till 2000rpm. Till around 1200km on the odo, I followed the instructions religiously. Then read and watched some videos on youtube that suggested the exact opposite, and to rev the engine good in all gears smoothly, both up and down the gears. It also said that if it's not done in the initial km, the engine will never perform at its full potential in the future even if you try it later.
TL;DR I started revving care free to 6000 rpm from the next day onwards and enjoying the ride :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 556040)
Key to proper run in is continuous variation of Speed/Engine RPM. Please vary engine RPM from 1500-2500 RPM for first 1000 KM. then after the oil change increase the RPM range to 3000 till about 1500 KM and then increase to 3500 RPM till about 2000. After 2000 you can rip.

Caution - Accelerate Gradually to redline only after the engine has attained warm up temperature (Temperature dial should have moved up half way).

Cars with AMT/AGS (mine is a Diesel) - the above rpm's cannot be achieved in the Automatic mode. On the recent highway trip as a part of my running in, the Automatic is more keen to settle in to 5th gear at 1500 rpm and stay at that.

Please switch to M mode to run-in your car.

Ok.. SO gonna start a debate once again. Please provide your inputs.

If the proper running in requires the Engine oil to be changed after say 1000 Kms, then why most of the manufacturers recommend first oil change at 10000 Kms?
On the one hand we are saying that the people who have built the engines have better knowledge about what has to be done and on the other hand we are trying to do something different. If the manufacturers are saying that oil change is required only after first 10000 then obviously in their R&D the small particulates developed in the initial run in don't really impact the performance in the longer runs.
Is there another angle to it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun (Post 3986651)
Ok.. SO gonna start a debate once again. Please provide your inputs.

If the proper running in requires the Engine oil to be changed after say 1000 Kms, then why most of the manufacturers recommend first oil change at 10000 Kms?
On the one hand we are saying that the people who have built the engines have better knowledge about what has to be done and on the other hand we are trying to do something different. If the manufacturers are saying that oil change is required only after first 10000 then obviously in their R&D the small particulates developed in the initial run in don't really impact the performance in the longer runs.
Is there another angle to it?

Quite a valid point there... arguably. I ran my Scross at under 1500 RPM for at least 5000 kilometres and then went up to 2000 RPM till 7000 kilometers and eventually used to push it to 2500 RPM before the third free service at 10000 kilometers.

After the oil change at 10000 kilometre the character of the car has completely changed. It is kind of free revving and goes up to 3000 RPM effortlessly in a few seconds. It is showing characteristics with are described by people who have got the their cars remapped.

Coming back to your point I think it definitely helps to get the oil changed more frequently if one can afford it. Even more true for a new engine. I am saying this on the basis of dramatic change in the character of the engine that I have seen after the oil change. Acceleration is smooth like better and lightning fast now compared to what it used to be before the oil change. This experience is when everything remained same fuel, routes, air pressure, etc.

What else could explain the sudden change right after the service in which the engine oil was changed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by @viral (Post 3986775)
Quite a valid point there... arguably. I ran my Scross at under 1500 RPM for at least 5000 kilometres and then went up to 2000 RPM till 7000 kilometers and eventually used to push it to 2500 RPM before the third free service at 10000 kilometers.

After the oil change at 10000 kilometre the character of the car has completely changed. It is kind of free revving and goes up to 3000 RPM effortlessly in a few seconds. It is showing characteristics with are described by people who have got the their cars remapped.

Coming back to your point I think it definitely helps to get the oil changed more frequently if one can afford it. Even more true for a new engine. I am saying this on the basis of dramatic change in the character of the engine that I have seen after the oil change. Acceleration is smooth like better and lightning fast now compared to what it used to be before the oil change. This experience is when everything remained same fuel, routes, air pressure, etc.

What else could explain the sudden change right after the service in which the engine oil was changed?

Wow.. you are a patient man. 😊😊
But patience is required to get the optimum performance out of the car isn't it? Though isn't waiting 10000K till you can revv the motor to maximum capacity is taking precaution too far?? If i take my case i have usage of less than a 1000KMS a month.. it would take me about an year till i can revv the motor?

Are there any shortcuts to run in? May be running while idling everytime before starting for couple of minutes(we do this on even two wheelers in winters in dehradun).

Suggestions pls.. my next car will be a petrol(first). I plan to make few long road trips after few months of purchase..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun (Post 3986891)
Wow.. you are a patient man. ����
But patience is required to get the optimum performance out of the car isn't it? Though isn't waiting 10000K till you can revv the motor to maximum capacity is taking precaution too far?? If i take my case i have usage of less than a 1000KMS a month.. it would take me about an year till i can revv the motor?

Are there any shortcuts to run in? May be running while idling everytime before starting for couple of minutes(we do this on even two wheelers in winters in dehradun).

Suggestions pls.. my next car will be a petrol(first). I plan to make few long road trips after few months of purchase..

Thanks. Happy with the way it turned out for my car. Just be gentle to the engine dont molest it initially :). I went for long drives and pushed it in ghats and straight roads during the first 5000 kms but the pushing was occasional. Also kept varying the speeds and consciously avoided long runs at constant speeds.

To avoid particulates, as you mentioned, get the engine oil changed. I did not change it till 10k kms but wont hesitate to change it if I get a feeling that the engine is losing its pep.

Well..restricting till 1500rpm for 5000kms is a very conservative approach I would say, maybe suitable for people with high daily usage, so that the running in comes to an end sooner. In my case my monthly usage is less than 1000kms and I cant really wait for 1 year to revv the engine. So I followed the manufacturer recommended guidelines for my Petrol Elite I20 i.e., 2000rpm max for the 1st 1000kms. Actually did 1200+kms as per the above with very occasionally going over 60kmph, maybe to overtake a vehicle and then coming back to normal.

On a lighter note I had to endure the frustration of Maruti 800s and nanos overtaking me. Sometimes even the smaller pickup trucks and 2 wheelers.:Frustrati

@viral
How much max speed did you touch during the 1st 5000kms?

Please suggest how to run in on highways. I have trips planned during the run in period from Meerut to Muzaffar Nagar which is a well made 4 lane highways. So I want to know how to drive on this highway so that the engine opens up.