Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-53.html)

Recently brought home Honda City ZX CVT iVTEC and obviously what better thread would be to find how to run in your engine. So I went through the thread.
While the general consensus is to keep the RPM low during first 1,000 KM (mentioned 1,500 - 2,000) and then gradually increase with time/ kilometers, there are still some of you who think run in generally not required for modern day engines. Some quoted the recommendation from owners manual (I can recall one from Honda Civic, earlier in the thread), but some could not find any running in info in their cars owner manual.

I am personally endorsed to the view that engines should be run in properly by gradually increasing the rev limits, I still decided to see what Honda City user manual says about it.

To my disappointment, it does not specifically say anything about how to break-in your engine, As a side note, it mentions:
Quote:

During the first 1,000 km of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain.

Avoid hard braking for the first 300 km.
Extract from Honda City ZX CVT iVTEC 2019 Owners Manual - When Driving CVT
ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car-honda-city-driving-instructions-owners-manual.jpeg

So. the manual does not specify any rev limits or speeds to run in. It just says do not push the pedal to metal for first 1k km.

Does running in really not required for Honda's 1.5 L Petrol?

Is running in a new engine a thing of the past now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaturgaurav (Post 4754781)
Is running in a new engine a thing of the past now?

By and large, yes! Great is it not? Not sure why you are disappointed by the advise in the owner manual. its very clear, i think but I can translate for you:

Just go a little easy on the throttle for the first 1000 km, do not worry about it too much.

Enjoy your new car! I think that is great, none of this watch your rev counter crap all the time!

I have said it many times, when in doubt best to consult the manufacturer manual before consulting the internet!

Enjoy your car, do not worry too much about running in the engine. The manual says so.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 4754793)
By and large, yes! Great is it not? Not sure why you are disappointed by the advise in the owner manual. its very clear, i think but I can translate for you:

Just go a little easy on the throttle for the first 1000 km, do not worry about it too much.

Enjoy your new car! I think that is great, none of this watch your rev counter crap all the time!

I have said it many times, when in doubt best to consult the manufacturer manual before consulting the internet!

Enjoy your car, do not worry too much about running in the engine. The manual says so.

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen. I am not really disappointed, expected to have more details. But lesser the better. As it is your translation seems perfect. Watching rev counter all the time is indeed a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaturgaurav (Post 4755272)
Thanks Jeroen. I am not really disappointed, expected to have more details. But lesser the better. As it is your translation seems perfect. Watching rev counter all the time is indeed a pain.

It is not really only the engine. Also when it comes to tires and brakes it makes sense to take it a little easy for the first few hundred Kilometers.

Enjoy!

Jeroen

The C8 Corvette's Digital cluster changes its redline indicators, once the vehicle's run-in period (i.e., 500 miles) is over.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtVrpQ1yvA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiel (Post 4769002)
The C8 Corvette's Digital cluster changes its redline indicators, once the vehicle's run-in period (i.e., 500 miles) is over.

Came here to post exactly this! Man, trust the Americans. This is so cool, so innovative, so useful clap:. On a slightly related note, see how the BMW ///M cars change the max revs based on engine temperature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqOZtP8KWs

A very interesting video that came in one of the whatsapp groups, which explains running in for engines, it is rather long but well worth the information shared. Do note the video is speaking from a rebuild perspective, but the gist holds good for factory built engine also. In short not really a good idea to baby a new engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ruk...ature=youtu.be

As we all know, highways are bad for a new car, especially during break-in/running in.

However, if the highway run was inevitable, what advice do I need to keep in mind when running the car in? Variate the RPMs, NOT keep the speed constant, don't cross 2/3rds of the engine RPM (petrol engine, 6500RPM redline), what else?

Any advice appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen (Post 4915287)

Any advice appreciated.

Could you check your owners manual and let us know what it says?
Thank
Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 4916717)
Could you check your owners manual and let us know what it says?
Thank
Jeroen

Don't have the car yet. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen (Post 4915287)
As we all know, highways are bad for a new car, especially during break-in/running in.

Not really. What you have to do is avoid driving at a constant speed for long durations. First check your manual to see if it mentions any running in period. If it does, make a note of the maximum allowable speed/rpm for each gear.

Then ensure to drive without exceeding those speeds, and vary your speed every 30 minutes. If you were doing seventy for a while, cut back to 55 for a while, then take it up to 65 and so on. Have a 10 minute halt every 60 minutes or so, so that you will downshift/upshift through all the gears, use your imagination! Don't be in a hurry to finish the trip quickly.

My car had a run in period of 1 month / 1000 km before first service. The month was nearly up and I had done only 500 km, so I did a highway trip to complete the distance. I did just what I described.

Try to avoid a full load on the car if possible. If your manual doesn't mention any running in period, it won't be necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 4916908)
Not really. What you have to do is avoid driving at a constant speed for long durations. First check your manual to see if it mentions any running in period. If it does, make a note of the maximum allowable speed/rpm for each gear.

Then ensure to drive without exceeding those speeds, and vary your speed every 30 minutes. If you were doing seventy for a while, cut back to 55 for a while, then take it up to 65 and so on. Have a 10 minute halt every 60 minutes or so, so that you will downshift/upshift through all the gears, use your imagination! Don't be in a hurry to finish the trip quickly.

My car had a run in period of 1 month / 1000 km before first service. The month was nearly up and I had done only 500 km, so I did a highway trip to complete the distance. I did just what I described.

Try to avoid a full load on the car if possible. If your manual doesn't mention any running in period, it won't be necessary.

Thank you Gansan! I'll be the proud owner of a Vento MT TSI soon, was just gathering some of the information I need to break it in properly. Load will be managed (just two folks total), and I'll do exactly as you described.

Thanks again!

Attaching EcoSport's Breaking in hint from the manual. Just mentions clutch and tire running in. Guess engine is good to go from day 1 since their warranty also is longer

Quote:

Originally Posted by WizSatish (Post 4951740)
Attaching EcoSport's Breaking in hint from the manual. Just mentions clutch and tire running in. Guess engine is good to go from day 1 since their warranty also is longer

Yes- this is the only nugget of information in the owners manual that I could find on the Ecosport running in. So far I have covered only 500 odd kms within the city, and therefore, there has been an automatic varying of RPMs in every drive. Have tried to keep revs within 2000rpm at most times, to ensure that there is no high revving yet the turbo is engaged consistently - even though the manual does not mention any engine related restrictions at all.

Planning to do a short highway blast very soon to enjoy the EcoSport's legendary expressway capabilities.

Gotta love this engine since there is sufficient and smooth power delivery from as low as 1400-1500 RPM and a proper strong shove from 1750rpm. No need to wait for 2000rpm for the diesel torque to make itself felt.clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4964540)
Yes- this is the only nugget of information in the owners manual that I could find on the Ecosport running in. So far I have covered only 500 odd kms within the city, and therefore, there has been an automatic varying of RPMs in every drive. Have tried to keep revs within 2000rpm at most times, to ensure that there is no high revving yet the turbo is engaged consistently - even though the manual does not mention any engine related restrictions at all.

Planning to do a short highway blast very soon to enjoy the EcoSport's legendary expressway capabilities.

Gotta love this engine since there is sufficient and smooth power delivery from as low as 1400-1500 RPM and a proper strong shove from 1750rpm. No need to wait for 2000rpm for the diesel torque to make itself felt.clap:

I've just completed 1200km on the odo. Did a 400km highway run myself. Really tough to control the urge to push the new baby on the Chennai-Bangalore highway:D. Within the city though, 1500-2000RPM is enough for smooth shifting experience.

Waiting for the 2500km service check to enjoy the engine more :Cheering: