Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 16:44   #1
BHPian

1978 Westfalia Camper

My Dad found this Campervan in Goa a few months ago, We had been looking for a VW Camper for over 3 years so we decided to get this one and sell our '74 Microbus.
This Bus is a very original 1978 Westfalia, The wooden camper interior is in very good condition. All the upholstery is original, This bus was originally LHD but has been converted to RHD. The engine is the original 1.8L aircooled flat-4. The Bus had not been driven/started for about 7 years but our mechanic in Goa just got it running, It is currently at his garage. We will be returning to Goa in about a month to drive it back to Mumbai after the mechanic has got it ready.
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Westfalia Camper-img_0285.jpg  

1978 Westfalia Camper-img_0337.jpg  

1978 Westfalia Camper-img_0339.jpg  

1978 Westfalia Camper-img_0341.jpg  

1978 Westfalia Camper-img_0343.jpg  

Last edited by RandomUsername : 29th April 2011 at 16:52.
RandomUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 19:19   #2
BANNED

Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
My Dad found this Campervan in Goa a few months ago, We had been looking for a VW Camper for over 3 years so we decided to get this one and sell our '74 Microbus.
This Bus is a very original 1978 Westfalia, The wooden camper interior is in very good condition. All the upholstery is original, This bus was originally LHD but has been converted to RHD. The engine is the original 1.8L aircooled flat-4. The Bus had not been driven/started for about 7 years but our mechanic in Goa just got it running, It is currently at his garage. We will be returning to Goa in about a month to drive it back to Mumbai after the mechanic has got it ready.
Congratulations a lot.

Though i have already congratulated your Dad over phone, it is immense pleasure knowing that you got hold of a very Original Camper.

All the best
Old 29th April 2011, 20:40   #3
BHPian

Congratulations!
Thats a beautiful looking Campervan!
One more to add to the collection!
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:38   #4
BHPian

WOW !! Congratulations on acquiring such a good condition camper.

Are you planning to have any restorations / modifications done? From the looks of it, the van looks to be in great shape. but given the fact it belongs to Goa, maybe it might need some tinkering here and there.

What are your plans?
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:36   #5
BHPian

We will be getting some minor bodywork done(there is a little bit of rust in some places) after getting it to Mumbai. Our Mechanic in Goa will be doing all the mechanical work before we drive it to Mumbai.
We don't currently have any plans to do a proper restoration. or any modifications.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
We will be getting some minor bodywork done(there is a little bit of rust in some places) after getting it to Mumbai. Our Mechanic in Goa will be doing all the mechanical work before we drive it to Mumbai.
We don't currently have any plans to do a proper restoration. or any modifications.
wow,this is a great find,i too think you need not go for major restoration as the vehicle seems to be very healthy,so how many camper vans you know to be still alive and road worthy.congrats again
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, glad to see the bus being ressurected. I had seen it many years back in Goa, should have some pics somewhere too. Happy motoring!
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
wow,this is a great find,i too think you need not go for major restoration as the vehicle seems to be very healthy,so how many camper vans you know to be still alive and road worthy.congrats again
I know of only 4 Bay-Window Westfalia's in India, Including your white '68(?). It seems to be the only road worthy Bay-Window Westfalia right now, Until this one is ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations, glad to see the bus being ressurected. I had seen it many years back in Goa, should have some pics somewhere too. Happy motoring!
Thanks Karl!
I had seen a picture of this bus somewhere on Team-Bhp before!
Old 4th May 2011, 01:33   #9
BHPian

Really pleased Dad managed to buy the westie,we regularly used to drive
round there to take a look at it just sitting there, year after year and not moving,and was always surprised that it never seemed to deteriorate ,and always looked a good solid bus. Sorry were going to miss you on your trip to Goa,but hopefully catch you again next time, Well done on securing the best original Westie i have seen in India
Old 4th May 2011, 10:31   #10
BHPian

Congratulations RandomUserName!! Very nice Westie you got yourself.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I know of only 4 Bay-Window Westfalia's in India, Including your white '68(?). It seems to be the only road worthy Bay-Window Westfalia right now, Until this one is ready!

Thanks Karl!
I had seen a picture of this bus somewhere on Team-Bhp before!
Thank Mate, even i have the same number of four present, but think yours doesn't need much efforts to hit the road,all the best for the work, and wish to see her rolling, and one more exciting yet common thing amongst us is that our dads are equal enthusiasts too, i want to congratulate your dad for his success of struggle to have this piece of love,kindly convey my best wishes to him,Keep revving.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

My heartiest congratulations to the Shirkes dad mum et all. I don't see any other family truly enjoying the camper more than them. Guys do let me know when out on your next picnic cheers
Old 10th May 2011, 11:51   #13
BHPian

i changed the pop top canvas of my bus and is available locally ,for a very good price and quality, i you ned one ,let me know i will forward you the contact number of the fellow
Old 14th May 2011, 10:43   #14
BHPian

I'm not sure if we need the canvas, We have not yet tried raising the Pop-Top, I know the canvas is available from Vintage Essentials.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if we need the canvas, We have not yet tried raising the Pop-Top, I know the canvas is available from Vintage Essentials.
yes you are correct for the source,they too have in stock the canvas for the T25 campers,i recently purchased a coco jute mat set from them,and believe me they look great,real worth buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks