Team-BHP - Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Sembra una vespa! - story of a Wasp to Vespa (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/104167-sembra-una-vespa-story-wasp-vespa.html)

Vespa is both Latin and Italian for wasp—derived from the vehicle's body shape: the thicker rear part connected to the front part by a narrow waist, and the steering rod resembled antennae. The name also refers to the high-pitched noise of the two-stroke engine hence the thread named "Wasp to Vespa" which is open for discussion/comments/opinions.

Now coming to trivia part, courtesy wikipeida:

In 1944, Piaggio engineers Renzo Spolti and Vittorio Casini designed a motorcycle with bodywork fully enclosing the drivetrain and forming a tall splash guard at the front. In addition to the bodywork, the design included handlebar-mounted controls, forced air cooling, wheels of small diameter, and a tall central section that had to be straddled. Officially known as the MP5 ("Moto Piaggio no. 5"), the prototype was nicknamed "Paperino".

Enrico Piaggio was displeased with the MP5, especially the tall central section. He contracted aeronautical engineer Corradino D'Ascanio, to redesign the scooter. D'Ascanio, who had earlier been consulted by Ferdinando Innocenti about scooter design and manufacture, made it immediately known that he hated motorcycles, believing them to be bulky, dirty, and unreliable.

D'Ascanio's MP6 prototype had its engine mounted beside the rear wheel. The wheel was driven directly from the transmission, eliminating the drive chain and the oil and dirt associated with it. The prototype had a unit spar frame with stress-bearing steel outer panels.

These changes allowed the MP6 to have a step-through design without a centre section like that of the MP5 Paperino. The MP6 design also included a single sided front suspension, interchangeable front and rear wheels mounted on stub axles, and a spare wheel. Other features of the MP6 were similar to those on the Paperino, including the handlebar-mounted controls and the enclosed bodywork with the tall front splash guard.

Upon seeing the MP6 for the first time Enrico Piaggio exclaimed: "Sembra una vespa!" ("It resembles a wasp!") Piaggio effectively named his new scooter on the spot. Here ends the trivia and my narration begins..

Long time that I've burnt midnight oil working on these little wonders and I am delighted to do as many as possible. I am glad I've got some fuel to fire up my passion for vespa/scooters!

First of all thanks to this gentleman (he is equally passionate about automobiles and a fellow team Bhpian) who believed in me and bestow this responsibility which I am confident will come up with flying colors.

Stripping up will begin from tomorrow, complete body inspection by us (me and body shop guy) then will be able to chalk out the further schedule, scooter is in running condition by far is well maintained & close to original which is a very good sign and this will add up to the outcome of the restoration as planned.

Will post pictures, details of progress taking place in phase manner.

Here is the Wasp when landed in Hyderabad. I guess this was a daily runner and the prev owner had maintained it well and by not modifying it to newer versions, there are few mods done on handle bar to accommodate some conveniences but by far the scooter is good. Shocked to see the scooter starting in single kick :Shockked:, transport guys damaged the seat and the main frame is broken, they might have put some heavy load on to this poor chap, no issues I have an original brought spare for my sparrow with me.

Though my idea but I appreciate the current owner packing the speedometer, tail lamp, etc very carefully and perfectly and kept it in the tool box, they also reached scratch less clap:

Beautiful scooter, it seems to be repainted but that can be expected. and also would like to know that monogram under the headlight is that a original?

Nice scooter Bala bhai and its even nice to hear that you are restoring it for a fellow BHPian. I am sure this will definitely turn out to be a looker. Hoping to see the WIP pics soon. Keep us updated.

Hey bala bhai

Thanks for starting the thread for the vespa that arrived ... it looks in awesome condition even without restoration, hats off :Cheering: to the owner for maintaining her so well. I am just wondering what she is going to turn out to with your magic touch.

would surely be following this thread closely

Wish you all the best for this project mate :thumbs up

Take care and keep smiling always

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

This is indeed a wonderful Vespa.Im glad it has landed in the right hands for restoration.Frankly it should be a feather in the cap to Bala,who is restoring it for a fellow Team Bhpian from a different city.This shows the true Team Bhpianism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desideep (Post 2422379)
Beautiful scooter, it seems to be repainted but that can be expected. and also would like to know that monogram under the headlight is that a original?

Thanks Desideep it's indeed a beautiful scooter and it's not been fiddled much, I wouldn't say the monogram is very original but period for sure hence will be salvaged, to that matter the parts which can be reused and are in good condition will be salvaged on any of my vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsag12 (Post 2422634)
Nice scooter Bala bhai and its even nice to hear that you are restoring it for a fellow BHPian. I am sure this will definitely turn out to be a looker. Hoping to see the WIP pics soon. Keep us updated.

I am also equally happy that someone choose me to do his scooter and that is all because of Team BHP, I thank this lovely forum where like minded souls meet up with their passions to become one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushil_n79 (Post 2422748)
Hey bala bhai

Thanks for starting the thread for the vespa that arrived ... it looks in awesome condition even without restoration, hats off :Cheering: to the owner for maintaining her so well. I am just wondering what she is going to turn out to with your magic touch.

would surely be following this thread closely

Wish you all the best for this project mate :thumbs up

Take care and keep smiling always

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Hey thanks for the appreciation Sushil, you and I will be witnessing first before anyone else because your scooter is also getting clubbed in the process so I will see you often. There is nothing called 'my magic touch', all I believe quality speaks for itself, I want the best way possible and not being routine that could be the reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram (Post 2422800)
This is indeed a wonderful Vespa.Im glad it has landed in the right hands for restoration.Frankly it should be a feather in the cap to Bala,who is restoring it for a fellow Team Bhpian from a different city.This shows the true Team Bhpianism.

Yes Ram sir, first sight of her made me go merry, very neat and well preserved scooter, a few things added up will make her stunning and will do it for sure, coming to adding a feather to my cap I don't know but I feel sharing is caring and I am doing nothing extra Ram ji, I know this denter, painter who do exceptional work and other things I can manage so I don't think I am doing something extraordinary.

Hey Bala,

Nice to see the scooter coming to you for restoration! I have no doubt that it will look stunning once done! Your passion for Vespa is unparalleled! The only thing that concerns me is what are your plans for the front number plate? I hate it when numbers are painted on the body of a vehicle, a very common site in Karnataka and Maharashtra. :Frustrati The front number plates that are used in Hyderabad are the best.

Here is wishing you all the very best for the project and this one is special as one Team BHPian is helping another Team BHPian from another city!! Hats off!! clap:

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Thanks Rahul bhai for the kind words, Vespa has a special place in my heart apart from jeeps because that's the first vehicle I love, learnt and want to live with it, get me 100 vespa I will restore (*conditions apply :uncontrol) not because of time or commercial aspect but availability of parts.

I don't hate writing numbers on the body but hate those huge sizes, shabby writings, I will come up with some idea to work it out, Rahul bhai there should be some suspense, surprise in the story right, so watchout lol:

I wanted to start off with the project but For now was not able to go because of my other client's jeep which is due for delivery, once done I will be totally free to concentrate on this little wonder and I hope will be able to do by this Monday. Thanks everyone for the support and confidence on me, I will sure come up or exceed your expectations.

I am looking for retro accessories and was told somewhere in Delhi now-a-days we are getting all the stuff reproduced is it true if so I would love to buy few stuff i.e, rubber parts, chrome carriers which are mounted on the front of the scooters, chrome mirrors, wheel caps is it true and if so any lead on that would be helpful. I got the white rubber parts from a source who brought in Delhi as he said.

Today the dismantling of the scooter begun, looking at the body it seems very healthy, however couldn't trace the original shade which I was assuming I will try again when the paint is removed which will start in a day or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanu (Post 2427559)
Today the dismantling of the scooter begun, looking at the body it seems very healthy, however couldn't trace the original shade which I was assuming I will try again when the paint is removed which will start in a day or two.

when i did my vespa.i found a website which shows all the vespa original shades and codes and when u slide the cursor on the shades a scooter on the page turns to that shade,this gives a very close idea of how will the vespa look whn painted with that code,very helpful and original shades give a period look too, let me know if you dont have that website,all the best again

A very healthy body indeed!! This will cut down the restoration time a lot. Another suggestion that I have is to coat the under body of the scooter and the inside of the front mudguard with black pitch (tar) before the paint work begins. This is the same stuff that can be seen under the bonnet of the Fiat 1100. This will protect the body from rust. My painter had done this to my 1982 Bajaj Super when I got it painted in April 2004.

Rahul Waghmare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inderpalgill (Post 2429762)
when i did my vespa.i found a website which shows all the vespa original shades and codes and when u slide the cursor on the shades a scooter on the page turns to that shade,this gives a very close idea of how will the vespa look whn painted with that code,very helpful and original shades give a period look too, let me know if you dont have that website,all the best again

So kind of you Inderpal ji, I would love to see that website, I am due to get another vespa for my own and already I have another 50/90cc which I need to do in sometime hence I will be glad to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider (Post 2431169)
A very healthy body indeed!! This will cut down the restoration time a lot. Another suggestion that I have is to coat the under body of the scooter and the inside of the front mudguard with black pitch (tar) before the paint work begins. This is the same stuff that can be seen under the bonnet of the Fiat 1100. This will protect the body from rust. My painter had done this to my 1982 Bajaj Super when I got it painted in April 2004.

Rahul Waghmare.

Absolutely Rahul bhai! a good body will not only cut down the restoration time but also would give the satisfaction that it is healthy, my painter does paint in and out with the same quality hence I don't need to apply rubber pitch however this time using WURTH/RAPTOR undercoat for durability.

Thanks for the timely idea Rahul bhai, now things have changed and tech developed to supreme quality undercoats substances, you are right in 2004 there were not many options, when I did my 1965 vespa I was offered MRF rubber pitch but went with the paint & it withstood all these years with no complaints and this time also she (vespa) had the same concept, hope next restoration will do it as I am doing for MEQ.

Thanks all for coming up with nice & valuable inputs, keep them flowing, I appreciate your time.

Hi folks, was busy in my other project which FINALLY got finished but still need to attend them (after effects) is expected.

Now I have all the time for the lovely MEQ baby, this scooter has all the quality to become stunner and I have all the qualified workmanship to get her to that stage, meanwhile sourced vital parts, original petrol tank, gear knob, center stand sourced out today and they are ready in a flash once the scooter is painted.

Body has reached the denter and the work has begun, I have to appreciate the body shop guy for his expertise in old scooters he is also quite excited to do a neat work after a long time. I love the silky finish once the hammering/denting is done the entire body becomes so smooth that you feel like silk.

Pictorial information will follow soon.