Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2012, 09:34   #16
BHPian

Re: From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
wow. congratulations Sri.. really looking forward to see the restored one So you'd change the interior & engine, but retain the looks & shape, right?
Thanks Laki, the plan is to retain and restore as close to the original as possible !
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow! Congratulations! Beetles are really crawling out of the woodwork now arent they.
I guess they are and you would know, Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
congratulations on laying your hand on one. please document the restoration process and share on the forum.
are you going to retain this color scheme? is it one of the original color schemes available that time?
I am not sure it is the original scheme!!! I will try to use a period color for the model year.
Old 15th January 2012, 18:45   #17
BHPian

@ Kasli: Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely seek help and assistance from all the experts and yourself of course!

@ GTO: Thanks. I have already started shooting a lot of pictures. I agree, Pavan is a good friend and I am in touch with him.

@ Vinay: Thanks and I will seek their assistance.

@ mayankjha1806: I will attempt to post regularly. It is that I just don’t want the “pressure of updating” overtake the “actual restoration” leading to errors and compromises.

@ Pavan: Great! Good to know that the car looks in good shape. Yes Pankaj is a good friend and has offered to help out. Infact, both of us saw the car together, started the engine, made an offer and bought the car!

That is some exhaustive information about my car! I am a Novice when it comes to this. However, my car does carry two plates, the Identification Plate and the Production Plate. This may give more clarity about the car and I invite you to interpret it. What I am sure is that it has a 1300 Dual Port Engine and two air filters! (Please ask Manu to save it for me!). The Front suspension does not have McPherson Struts, does sport a padded dashboard and steering, crescent shaped air vents behind rear windows (push-out), 4 set of slots on the engine lid and it appears to take a flat glass for the front. The ID badge says “Made in Germany”, Type 11 / AB 1. Number “144” is written from bottom-up on the left hand side. The production tag says “46-4-1322” which I am interpreting as the chassis was made on 18th November 1971. Also, the "06" written across refers to the color as Pastel White(?).

@ Ajay99: Thanks for inputs, keep it coming! Let’s hope we can decipher over time!

@ Manish: Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-id-plate.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-production-plate.jpg  

Old 15th January 2012, 19:49   #18
BHPian

[ The Super Beetle windshield is CURVED , whereas this windshield is like ordinary Beetle.

Satya indeed had told me about the twin port engine, yes, i read it, 1972's came with 1200 / 1300/ 1500 / 1302 (1300cc-Twin Port) engines.

Very surprised regarding the torsion bar front suspension. Then it is not a 1972 German.

If there is some anamolies noticed, i am sorry, then i am afraid, someone needs to document this model better than TheSamba.com

As per my findings this model is indeed a 113, if its a 111, it must have an Automatic Transmission(model 1972 holds the tyre upright) which sadly it is not, or might be an gearbox transplant some point of time. And also the engine, as AT 1972 came only with 1200cc engines.[/quote]

Few corrections without any offence...

All Super beetle DO NOT have curved windshields. The Super beetle or Type 113 came from 1972. The popular ones were 1303 (Curved Windshield + 1300 cc) and 1303S (Curved Windsheld + 1600cc) came with a Curved Windshield.

Then there were others like 1303 L and 1303 A which also came with a Curved Windshield but with an engine of 1300cc. Finally 1303 LS also came with a 1600cc and Curved Windshield.

Then there are 1302, 1302L, 1302 S and 1303 LSwhich are also Super beetles but without the curved windshied.

Also I tend to agree with Ajay since it is 1972 it is definately a German one. Production in Mexico and Brazil really kicked off only post 1976 once beetles stopped production in Wolfsburg factory.

Finally mine is Type 111 but it does not have an Automatic Transmission but it is Made in Germany.....maybe the previous owner removed the Auto Transmission and replaced it with Manual
Old 15th January 2012, 20:07   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
[ The Super Beetle windshield is CURVED , whereas this windshield is like ordinary Beetle.

Satya indeed had told me about the twin port engine, yes, i read it, 1972's came with 1200 / 1300/ 1500 / 1302 (1300cc-Twin Port) engines.

Very surprised regarding the torsion bar front suspension. Then it is not a 1972 German.

If there is some anamolies noticed, i am sorry, then i am afraid, someone needs to document this model better than TheSamba.com

As per my findings this model is indeed a 113, if its a 111, it must have an Automatic Transmission(model 1972 holds the tyre upright) which sadly it is not, or might be an gearbox transplant some point of time. And also the engine, as AT 1972 came only with 1200cc engines.

All Super beetle DO NOT have curved windshields. The Super beetle or Type 113 came from 1972. The popular ones were 1303 (Curved Windshield + 1300 cc) and 1303S (Curved Windsheld + 1600cc) came with a Curved Windshield.

Then there were others like 1303 L and 1303 A which also came with a Curved Windshield but with an engine of 1300cc. Finally 1303 LS also came with a 1600cc and Curved Windshield.

Then there are 1302, 1302L, 1302 S and 1303 LSwhich are also Super beetles but without the curved windshied.

Also I tend to agree with Ajay since it is 1972 it is definately a German one. Production in Mexico and Brazil really kicked off only post 1976 once beetles stopped production in Wolfsburg factory.

Finally mine is Type 111 but it does not have an Automatic Transmission but it is Made in Germany.....maybe the previous owner removed the Auto Transmission and replaced it with Manual
[/quote]

Sid, maybe this car is not a 72. As per the data plates and Satya's words, Its a 1971, so we are back to square one.

Lets not speculate more on the model.

I did not get the funda of Flat windscreen Super Beetle's

The below link should give us a better information about Super-Beetle's

SuperBeetles.Com

Also, the Chassis number posted by Satya starts with 112 -23***** This series refers to Normal Beetle made during November 1971. But 11(2) refers to 1972...

But again, if its a 1971,the steering wheel is wrong . Phew... so much to add to the existing confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-page12.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-page64.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th January 2012 at 20:19.
Old 15th January 2012, 20:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya View Post
I am a Novice when it comes to this. However, my car does carry two plates, the Identification Plate and the Production Plate. This may give more clarity about the car and I invite you to interpret it. What I am sure is that it has a 1300 Dual Port Engine and two air filters! (Please ask Manu to save it for me!). The Front suspension does not have McPherson Struts, does sport a padded dashboard and steering, crescent shaped air vents behind rear windows (push-out), 4 set of slots on the engine lid and it appears to take a flat glass for the front. The ID badge says “Made in Germany”, Type 11 / AB 1. Number “144” is written from bottom-up on the left hand side. The production tag says “46-4-1322” which I am interpreting as the chassis was made on 18th November 1971. Also, the "06" written across refers to the color as Pastel White(?).
Howdy Srivathsa, and congrats first of all. Secondly, do carry out a small exercise before sleuthing more - cross-check the chassis number on the larger of the two plates that you've posted with the chassis number stamped on the transmission tunnel (under the rear seat, either just aft or fore of the check-cover for the tranny coupling; can't remember that exactly now, think it's fore) because it's unlikely that somebody would have bothered to alter that too (incase the boot ID plate has been changed or tampered with, am not saying that it has been, just asking you to make sure). The two should tally, or let the gurus know what you find. Plus, there would have originally been a VIN plate on the top edge of the dashboard too (towards the w-screen from inside, on the driver's side); the number on that, if it's still there, should be the same too. Once you establish that the chassis # is checking out similarly across the three, then establish the rest of your car's specs. However, going by the plate you've posted, it's a 1972.

Being a novice myself, I can't tell you much more either, so let's see what the experts and gurus can educate us with.
Old 15th January 2012, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Sid, maybe this car is not a 72. As per the data plates and Satya's words, Its a 1971, so we are back to square one.

Lets not speculate more on the model.

The below link should give us a better information about Super-Beetle's

SuperBeetles.Com

Also, the Chassis number posted by Satya starts with 112 -23***** This series refers to Normal Beetle made during November 1971.[/quote]

I was under the impression that cars produced between 1 Aug 71 to 31 July 72 was regarded and sold as 1972 Model. Correct me if I am wrong. I have read somewhere that the 1971-1972 Super Beetles(1302) used the same flat front glass as the Standard Beetle. The curved front windshield was first introduced to the 1973 Super Beetle* (1303). This glass was used in both the Super Beetle sedan and convertible until the end of production. This new style glass was used to comply with US safety standards with regards to the distance from the occupants and the front glass.
Old 15th January 2012, 21:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you need to take a look at the beetle of our esteemed Beetle Collector Mr. Inderpal Singh. His is a super beetle but does not have a Curved Windshield. It is are 1302 S mode (1600 cc). The ones which end with 3 (instead of 2) are the only ones with Curved Windshields. Trust the issue that Super Beetles do come with Flat Windscreen is now resolved. Similarly there are couple of Super Beetles in Bombay which are 1302 (1300 cc engines) but do not have Curved Windscreen.

Quote:

Also, the Chassis number posted by Satya starts with 112 -23***** This series refers to Normal Beetle made during November 1971.
Satya's beetle is definitely a 1972 one as per his Chassis no.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th January 2012 at 16:04. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 15th January 2012, 21:46   #23
BHPian

The car is a 1972 Delux Beetle and not a Super Beetle.

As shown in these grabs from VW manuals, the 113/Super was introduced in 1971 with a flat windshield and acquired a curved windshield in 1973.

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-manuals.jpg

The windshield is not the best way to identify a Super.
The best way to differentiate between a flat screen Super Beetle (1971-72) and a regular beetle is to check for mac-pherson struts up front.

If one is unable to peek under the car, it's best to subject the car to a pregnancy test!
Explained below :

VW had to redesign the front end of the Super Beetle platform head and the body, bonnet and front fenders to accomodate the strut suspension, and also increase the available boot space.

This led to the Super Beetle havin a distinct 'bulgy' look around the front bonnet and fenders. VW purists were unhappy with such a major change in the appearance of a 30+ year old design. The Super Beetle was nick-named 'Fat Chick' or 'Pregnant Lady' because of this.

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-pregnant.jpg

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-120front20view.jpg

Vatsa's car looks to be a size Zero and is hence a Regular Delux Bug.

Quote:
I was under the impression that cars produced between 1 Aug 71 to 31 July 72 was regarded and sold as 1972 Model.
Yes. The VW model year started in August of the previous year. So Aug 71 - July 72 would be a 1972 car with a 1122 series chassis number.
Since your car was made in Nov 1971 and imported and registered in India before the end of 1971, the RC book mentioned the registration year as 1971.
This is not a problem, but you need to take care when ordering parts. Select parts for a 1972 and not a 1971.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
incase the boot ID plate has been changed or tampered with, am not saying that it has been, just asking you to make sure
Car is legit. Chassis numbers match across the body tag, tunnel & the book. The AB series engine number is also correct for a 1972 DP 1300cc.
Agree that checking the numbers should be a pre-requisite before purchasing or assessing the value of a car.
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 21:55   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post

As shown in these grabs from VW manuals, the 113/Super was introduced in 1971 with a flat windshield and acquired a curved windshield in 1973.

Attachment 872034

The best way to differentiate between a flat screen Super Beetle (1971-72) and a regular beetle is to check for mac-pherson struts up front.

If one is unable to peek under the car, it's best to subject the car to a pregnancy test!
Explained below :

VW had to redesign the front end of the Super Beetle platform head and the body, bonnet and front fenders to accomodate the strut suspension, and also increase the available boot space.

This led to the Super Beetle havin a distinct 'bulgy' look around the front bonnet and fenders. VW purists were unhappy with such a major change in the appearance of a 30+ year old design. The Super Beetle was nick-named 'Fat Chick' or 'Pregnant Lady' because of this.

Attachment 872035

Attachment 872036

Yes. The VW model year started in August of the previous year. So Aug 71 - July 72 would be a 1972 car with a 1122 series chassis number.
Since your car was made in Nov 1971 and imported and registered in India before the end of 1971, the RC book mentioned the registration year as 1971.
This is not a problem, but you need to take care when ordering parts. Select parts for a 1972 and not a 1971.

Car is legit. Chassis numbers match across the body tag, tunnel & the book. The AB series engine number is also correct for a 1972 DP 1300cc.
Agree that checking the numbers should be a pre-requisite before purchasing or assessing the value of a car.
So Pankaj, what i assessed was right

But can you explain the upright spare wheel pankaj.!

I read it at many places, the 72 113 sedan had MacPherson struts.

So this should be a 111 AT which has had a gearbox transplant sometime, somewhere..
Old 15th January 2012, 22:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 872034

Explained below :

Attachment 872035

Attachment 872036

Thanks Chief, you made it easy for me !!! You have clarified many things which I need not do now ! As we have discussed at length, my car is definitely not a Super but sure does have some features not common to all Beetles! First time I have heard about 'Pregnant Lady' and it is so true and factual.

@ Prabal: Thanks for some great observations. Yes the stamped number on the hump matches with the plate ! Nothing has been changed or substituted and I acknowledge (also with Pankaj) that this is very important.

@ 67Bug - Not an expert myself either Sir, but I was saying that all Super Beetles need not necessarily have curved windshields and there is some thing intrigue about the period between 1971 - 1973 about Beetles in general.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Bullet Boy, In addition to what you already mention above, the key difference between a regular bug and a super bug is to have a look at the placement of the spare tyre...if the tyre is lying upright in the boot it is a regular beetle and if it is lying flat it is a Super Beetle. The changes were done to incorporate the Mc-Pherson Strut Suspensions. The Curved Windscreen hit the market for the 1st time in 1973 although the 74 versions were popular (which is what I have just bought). Unfortunately the "Pregnant Lady" shape did not go too well with hardcore enthusiasts and come 75 VW moved to the orginal shape although with the curved windshield the visibility was improved by almost 42%
Old 16th January 2012, 11:59   #27
BANNED

Lets stop hijacking this thread

My initial observations have been rendered True, Thanks Pankaj for ratifying the same.

Its now upto Satya to give more life to this thread by posting his restoration process.

We are eagerly waiting for it.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Lets stop hijacking this thread

My initial observations have been rendered True, Thanks Pankaj for ratifying the same.

Its now upto Satya to give more life to this thread by posting his restoration process.

We are eagerly waiting for it.
Hope you are now convinced that all super beetles need not have "Curved Winshields" and also all Type 111 models need not have automatic Transmissions.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:14   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Hope you are now convinced that all super beetles need not have "Curved Winshields" and also all Type 111 models need not have automatic Transmissions.

Siddharth, i still did not get your funda about Flat windscreen Super Beetles

And FYI, All 1972 Type 111 are Handomatics (Automatics)

Anyways, not the right place to discuss the above topic.

Satya, can we have some better engine pics and the RIGHT thing do do right now is Order for the Birth Certificate from the VW Museum. That gives the perfect info regarding your particular car.

See the below certificate of my Beetle and Bus, the specifications and my car are Bang on with most of the informations.

Special thanks to Kasli for gifting these to me
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-293631_283113841715245_100000498933587_1227612_1029595898_n.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-292756_265588013467828_100000498933587_1145883_7237037_n.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th January 2012 at 17:19.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Siddharth, i still did not get your funda about Flat windscreen Super Beetles
C'mon Pavan you can do better than this. Pictures speak thousand words, so please find attached picture of 1973 "Super Beetle with Flat Windscreen"...hope your funda's are a bit more clear. Call me if still stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-photo196.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks