Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 22:09   #1
BHPian

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle

I have always wanted to own a Classic Beetle and it took over three years to find a one! It is a 1972 LHD with Sunroof, etc., etc. More pictures and information to follow. Experts and enthusiasts, please view, comment, advise and assist in the restoration process.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-2-rear-view.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-3-rear-deck-lid.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-4-r-side-view.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-5-sun-roof.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-6-dash-view.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-7-engine-view.jpg  

Attached Images

Srivathsa_Satya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 22:14   #2

Re: From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle

wow. congratulations Sri.. really looking forward to see the restored one So you'd change the interior & engine, but retain the looks & shape, right?
Old 13th January 2012, 22:27   #3
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2012 at 14:38.
imperial.s.a is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th January 2012, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya
I have always wanted to own a Classic Beetle and it took over three years to find a one! It is a 1972 LHD with Sunroof, etc., etc. More pictures and information to follow. Experts and enthusiasts, please view, comment, advise and assist in the restoration process.
Wow! Congratulations! Beetles are really crawling out of the woodwork now arent they.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:49   #5
BHPian

congratulations on laying your hand on one. please document the restoration process and share on the forum.
are you going to retain this color scheme? is it one of the original color schemes available that time?
Old 14th January 2012, 13:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya
Get hold of a manual . Find a similar car of any beetle enthusiast which is stock .take loads of pics . See what's missing on your car . Source here first or import . Contact people like indepalji , pavan , anoop thakoor and last but not least jalopy shop in bangalore who is of great great help , . Pretty clean car on the basis of body line

Cheers and all the best . Just enjoy
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 14:40   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the bug! It's going to be an awesome restoration experience, be sure to capture each & every stage of the process on camera. They'll make for a nice album at the end of it.

Since you are in Bangalore, I suggest heading over to Pavan Kadam's place. Don't think anyone knows Beetles as well as he does.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

even Mr Ian Oberoi of Jayamahal (9845028355), and Mr Arjun Unnikrishnan of Indiranagar ( 9945008972) , have been vw beetle veterans who can be of great help in helping you restore your car.
Old 14th January 2012, 16:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, the wait to see the final outcome is killing me.

In the pictures posted, the car looks in terrible state, but i am sure with passion it could be restored to glory. Please post pictures as soon as there is some progress to report . Usually how long such a restoration process can take? (Weeks/Months)?
Old 14th January 2012, 16:48   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Get hold of a manual . Find a similar car of any beetle enthusiast which is stock .take loads of pics . See what's missing on your car . Source here first or import . Contact people like indepalji , pavan , anoop thakoor and last but not least jalopy shop in bangalore who is of great great help , . Pretty clean car on the basis of body line

Cheers and all the best . Just enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the bug! It's going to be an awesome restoration experience, be sure to capture each & every stage of the process on camera. They'll make for a nice album at the end of it.

Since you are in Bangalore, I suggest heading over to Pavan Kadam's place. Don't think anyone knows Beetles as well as he does.
I am flattered by these replies, Thank you guys.

Srivatsa has started his restoration, so i guess we will leave it at that right now, i have offered to have a look at the car 2 weeks ago, maybe my time will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Seriously, the wait to see the final outcome is killing me.

In the pictures posted, the car looks in terrible state, but i am sure with passion it could be restored to glory. Please post pictures as soon as there is some progress to report . Usually how long such a restoration process can take? (Weeks/Months)?
The car looks complete and in a good shape to begin with, i always witness worse cars than this during my restorations

Spares are easy to get nowadays, Thanks to people like Pankaj, restoring any VW becomes even the more easy.It all depends on one's ability to spend too.

Considering the photos posted above, one can restore this car in span of 3 to 4 months, Not more than that. Infact my team has restored few similar cars in just 20 days.

Looking forward to the restoration pics.

All the best Satya.
Old 14th January 2012, 18:18   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya View Post
Well satya, i forgot to mention technical details of your particular car

Mostly the 1972 VW's were produced in Mexico/Brazil, your particular car is made on US safety specification. Lot of influences can be seen from various models of VW,

This model is actually called 1972 Volkswagen Sedan 113.

Had vents opening on the bonnet like the 69 Beetle. and an electric fan for de-misting.

This particular model comes with an unique Door locking and unlocking lever on the door pad, and a stalk near the window sill too like the 67.

These models came with High-back seats in the front with 2 point seat-belts, infact even the rear passengers get the benefit of having Seat-belts (mainly due to US standards)

A fibre padded dash is one more unique thing that can be noticed, Just remove them, you get the original design metal dash behind.

A 42 litre fuel tank with remote fuel flap opener

The sun-roof was an optional equipment in the 113 Sedans

Front suspension came with McPherson Struts.

Mostly the 1972 came with 1200cc engines ( I need to read a bit more about this, maybe Bullet_Boy - Pankaj can help me with this)

Also an interesting fact, these models came with 2 air-filters on either side, fixed on the firewall, mostly they were from the THING, but yes those are original. ( Our member Manu must have them as spare lying with him)

Do let me know if you have any doubts.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 14th January 2012 at 18:24.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 18:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Glad that you got this Bug, the body line is neat, I saw this some 3 years ago at that time the seller did not agreed to part with it. One intresting thing is that all his cars were while with black color combo .
Old 14th January 2012, 20:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Well satya, i forgot to mention technical details of your particular car

Mostly the 1972 VW's were produced in Mexico/Brazil, your particular car is made on US safety specification. Lot of influences can be seen from various models of VW,

This model is actually called 1972 Volkswagen Sedan 113.

Had vents opening on the bonnet like the 69 Beetle. and an electric fan for de-misting.

This particular model comes with an unique Door locking and unlocking lever on the door pad, and a stalk near the window sill too like the 67.

These models came with High-back seats in the front with 2 point seat-belts, infact even the rear passengers get the benefit of having Seat-belts (mainly due to US standards)

A fibre padded dash is one more unique thing that can be noticed, Just remove them, you get the original design metal dash behind.

A 42 litre fuel tank with remote fuel flap opener

The sun-roof was an optional equipment in the 113 Sedans

Front suspension came with McPherson Struts.

Mostly the 1972 came with 1200cc engines ( I need to read a bit more about this, maybe Bullet_Boy - Pankaj can help me with this)

Also an interesting fact, these models came with 2 air-filters on either side, fixed on the firewall, mostly they were from the THING, but yes those are original. ( Our member Manu must have them as spare lying with him)

Do let me know if you have any doubts.
First of all the statement '' mostly 1972 VW's were built in MEXICO/Brazil is wrong.Wolfsburg did produce Sufficient VW's till 1976.
Also what do you mean by ""mostly 1972's came with 1200 cc engines.""?
If you mean most model year 1972 beetles came with 1200 cc engines then it is absolutely wrong.The majority of beetles came with 1300,1600 engines
According to my info, TYPE 113 means "Super Beetle which was introduced in 1971. The Type 113 differed from the standard Beetle in its use of Macpherson strut front suspension instead of the usual torsion bars. Also the nose of the car was stretched 2 inches (51 mm) to allow the spare tire to lie flat, and the combination of these two features significantly increased the usable front luggage space. the Super Beetle's were marketed outside North America as the VW 1302, and later 1303)
Old 14th January 2012, 20:37   #14
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The majority of beetles came with 1300,1600 engines
According to my info, TYPE 113 means "Super Beetle which was introduced in 1971. The Type 113 differed from the standard Beetle in its use of Macpherson strut front suspension instead of the usual torsion bars.
I have seen the car, and though I am not a VW expert, few things were explained to me

The car in indeed a 1300 CC but with twin port. As Ajay has rightly said it has the usual torsion bar based front suspension. The stepney is place upright, not flat like the Super Beetle as Ajay has rightly explained. The front windscreen is very similar to the Super Beetle though.

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th January 2012, 22:48   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
First of all the statement '' mostly 1972 VW's were built in MEXICO/Brazil is wrong.Wolfsburg did produce Sufficient VW's till 1976.
Also what do you mean by ""mostly 1972's came with 1200 cc engines.""?
If you mean most model year 1972 beetles came with 1200 cc engines then it is absolutely wrong.The majority of beetles came with 1300,1600 engines
According to my info, TYPE 113 means "Super Beetle which was introduced in 1971. The Type 113 differed from the standard Beetle in its use of Macpherson strut front suspension instead of the usual torsion bars. Also the nose of the car was stretched 2 inches (51 mm) to allow the spare tire to lie flat, and the combination of these two features significantly increased the usable front luggage space. the Super Beetle's were marketed outside North America as the VW 1302, and later 1303)
Ajay sir,regarding the country of make, i said Mostly, And regarding the engine, i said, i need to read about the same before giving an opinion. it was not an affirmative statement, and i am no Beetle expert to start a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I have seen the car, and though I am not a VW expert, few things were explained to me

The car in indeed a 1300 CC but with twin port. As Ajay has rightly said it has the usual torsion bar based front suspension. The stepney is place upright, not flat like the Super Beetle as Ajay has rightly explained. The front windscreen is very similar to the Super Beetle though.

Cheers

KPS
The Super Beetle windshield is CURVED , whereas this windshield is like ordinary Beetle.

Satya indeed had told me about the twin port engine, yes, i read it, 1972's came with 1200 / 1300/ 1500 / 1302 (1300cc-Twin Port) engines.

Very surprised regarding the torsion bar front suspension. Then it is not a 1972 German.

If there is some anamolies noticed, i am sorry, then i am afraid, someone needs to document this model better than TheSamba.com

As per my findings this model is indeed a 113, if its a 111, it must have an Automatic Transmission(model 1972 holds the tyre upright) which sadly it is not, or might be an gearbox transplant some point of time. And also the engine, as AT 1972 came only with 1200cc engines.
Attached Thumbnails
From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-72t101.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-72t122.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-72t158.jpg  

From me to myself - My new Classic - 1972 LHD VW Beetle-72t1foldout.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 14th January 2012 at 22:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks