Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Project Landmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Slight Correction here about the pumps - It was other way round

Both Landmasters in all models and Ambys till 1966 (I may be off by a year here) came with electrical pumps. The Mechanical pumps were there definitely from 1968 (may be in some models of 1967 as well)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Yes, realised that after karlosdevils reply. Yeah mine is a 68 amby and had mechanical pump. Interestingly the bracket in the boot that karlos mentioned is also there in the car.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The original fuel pump is an electric SU unit that fits in the boot in a bracket behind the spare wheel .They are hopeless, you are better of using a mechanical pump or an electronic UCAL unit.
An overhauled SU fuel pump usually works very well - I've had mine done twice now in the last 16 years. You can also buy a solid-state upgrade to replace the points for added reliability.

Quote:
Don't get too crazy on originality for nitty gritty - use an electronic fuel pump, an alternator and enjoy a peaceful motoring experience. Cosmetics of course you can retain. The car has good level and most fittings in place anyways. Good luck!
It depends on what you want - I like originality and some 'period' modifications (especially ones that you can change back to original) or modifications that do not affect the classic look of the car
e.g. replacing the ignition points in the Lucas distributor with an electronic ignition unit.

In the last few days I have found that you can have have the inside of the Lucas dynamo control box replaced with a modern circuit board. This allows your dynamo to work as effectively as possible and everything looks just like it should. This is probably more expensive than fitting an alternator, though:
Classic Car and Motorcycle dynamo rebuilding and Electronic Dynamo Regulators
Wilton Auto Electric
Old 1st May 2012, 00:14   #18
BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry, I could not update the blog or the photos as the photos that I took came in 3 to 5 mb file size each just now got to know how to reduce the size.

The car is completely stripped. The only things that are on the car are the steering assembly, front & rear Suspension with the wheels. There is little rust on the whatever is there it is only on the front left side of the windshield & on the tray on the back right side of the rear seat.

Today I went & brought 2 liters of paint remover, Yellow Oxide, Red oxide, Sand Paper, Google’s for the eyes, Hand gloves, Grinder Bits & scrapers. From tomorrow will start removing the paint one panel at a time using the paint remover, for the underbody will use grinder bits to remove the rust.

Please let me know if any care has to be taken for the rust not to build up again.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Landmaster-dsc01504.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01506.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01507.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01509.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01510.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01511.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01512.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01513.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01514.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01516.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01517.jpg  

Project Landmaster-dsc01518.jpg  

jagadeesh.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:09   #19
BANNED

Dude..! sorry, was a bit tied up and could not answer your calls.

Here's what you need to do.

After you start with clean metal which has been sanded with 80 grit paper. Clean with water and use de-greaser, then you have to Spray 2 coats of expoy primer. Dupont has the Best one and equally good Epoxy primer from Kapci. Bodywork (filler work) can be performed right over the epoxy. It seals, protects and primes.
Old 4th August 2012, 02:22   #20
BHPian

Hi All,

It is been some time that I updated the blog, All these days I was scrapping the paint on every pannel & spraying Zinc Oxide & then Red oxide. Below are the photos.

Jagdeesh
Attached Thumbnails
Project Landmaster-30.jpg  

Project Landmaster-31.jpg  

Project Landmaster-32.jpg  

Project Landmaster-33.jpg  

Project Landmaster-34.jpg  

Project Landmaster-35.jpg  

Project Landmaster-36.jpg  

Project Landmaster-37.jpg  

Old 4th August 2012, 07:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

The car is very nice as corrosion is much less considering that this was lying idle. Important aspect is that the body is clean and is quite shapely. The landy will come out as a stunner.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 11:22   #22

Your Landmaster is in good condition overall - I think it will be great when you are finished!
One of your photos inside the car shows a big square hole in the floorpan above where the gearbox goes. Is this how all Landmasters were built in the factory?

Also the battery box looks HUGE! Again, do you know if all Landmasters were built like this?

It looks like water has leaked in down the back seats. Is the parcel tray under the rear windscreen rusty?
rob_ox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 12:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ox View Post
shows a big square hole in the floorpan above where the gearbox goes. Is this how all Landmasters were built in the factory?
Also the battery box looks HUGE! Again, do you know if all Landmasters were built like this?
It looks like water has leaked in down the back seats. Is the parcel tray under the rear windscreen rusty?
This opening has a bolt on cover and is normal for Indian Landmasters and Ambassadors.
The battery boxes are moderately big as it was meant for old generation batteries. Subsequently when changed to diesel engines these boxes are tinkered with to accommodate still higher batteries of higher capacity. This car had a diesel engine.
The parcel trays are of steel covered with upholstery.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th August 2012 at 12:57.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 20:56   #24
BHPian

Hi Rob,

All Landmasters were Build with the Big Hole in the middle, where a Steel plate comes above it which is called a GearBox Shield. This is to easily transform the Right Hand Drive to Left Hand Drive.

Call original Battery cases were the same size.

Yes my Parcel Tray has to be changed.

Thanks & Regards,
Jagdeesh
jagadeesh.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 23:04   #25
BHPian

Over the week end we put the car on the side & cleaned the underbody rust & painted the whole car with a coat of Zinc oxide & then with Red oxide. Attaching sum pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Project Landmaster-38.jpg  

Project Landmaster-39.jpg  

Project Landmaster-40.jpg  

Project Landmaster-41.jpg  

Project Landmaster-42.jpg  

Project Landmaster-43.jpg  

Project Landmaster-44.jpg  

Project Landmaster-45.jpg  

Project Landmaster-46.jpg  

Project Landmaster-47.jpg  

Project Landmaster-48.jpg  

Project Landmaster-49.jpg  

Project Landmaster-50.jpg  

Project Landmaster-51.jpg  

jagadeesh.b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 14:50   #26

Hi Jagdeesh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
All Landmasters were Build with the Big Hole in the middle, where a Steel plate comes above it which is called a GearBox Shield. This is to easily transform the Right Hand Drive to Left Hand Drive.
I've just seen the gearbox shield from your car in the photos. On my 1956 Oxford this shield looks a bit different and is welded in place.

Are the gearboxes in Landmasters and OHV Ambassadors the same?

I am quite surprised to see that the rear axle/differential on your car is very different to my Oxford!
Is your rear axle an original Landmaster one?

Quote:
Yes my Parcel Tray has to be changed.
Can you buy replacement parcel trays to weld in, or do you have to make them?
I ask because a friend in England is restoring a Morris Isis and he needs a new parcel tray!

Many thanks for your photos, and thank you to people for answering my questions
If people are interested I could take a photo of my rear axle (but I am not going to tip my car on its side!)
Old 16th August 2012, 18:52   #27
BHPian

Hi Rob,

The Gearbox’s in Landmasters & Ambassadors were the same but the Gearbox shield on Landmaster was of aluminum & that of OHV ambassadors Cast Iron.

The Rear Parcel Tray is available in market & we can also fabricate it.

Regarding the Rear Differential it is the same as that of the earlier model Morris Oxford. the Indian Land \masters had the same body of 53-Morris Oxford but the engine(Side valve), gearbox & differential from the Earlier Model(Pre-53). Can you please upload the photos of your Rear Differential?

Thanks & Regards,
Jagadeesh

Last edited by jagadeesh.b : 16th August 2012 at 18:54.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
all original Battery cases were the same size.
Your car was running with a diesel engine and the battery box would have been modified to suit a bigger battery.
Enlarging the battery box size is a part of the Amby dieselizing work.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Your car was running with a diesel engine and the battery box would have been modified to suit a bigger battery.
Enlarging the battery box size is a part of the Amby dieselizing work.
Hi Rajeev In my case it did not happened. check out the below picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Landmaster-21.jpg  

Old 17th August 2012, 12:22   #30
BHPian

Jagadeesh, A word of caution. I noticed some body panels when scraped to bare metal showed areas with minute pits. These are future problem areas as rust in these pits does not seem to have been removed. There are several rust inhibitors availabe in the market, Wourth or 3M being reputed manufacturers of the same. I suggest using them to retard the corrosion process which old metal is prone to. Sand blasting of panels would also help. Great to know you are working on your beauty yourself. Enjoy , and keep us updated.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks