Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:24   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444

Dear Stanher,

Thanks for this.

I have been in touch with a guy in Hyderabad who has a few spares. Here are the pics. Good enough?

Also, he is charging 1500 for the fuel cap, dicky lock and roof lamps. I asked him for a set of front and rear glass beadings for which he is quoting 4000 (set of front and back). I also asked him for a set of 4 wheel caps. He said he just sold a set of 4 (steel) caps for 10,000.

Is it a rip off or do these things cost this much?

Cheers,
Praveen
I meant 1500 each for fuel cap, dicky and roof lamps and not 1500 for all three!!
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Praveen, firstly yes prices have shooten up but then many charge a moon cause they have the stuff. If wheel caps are original then expect to pay higher price. I bought reproductions for 2100 form some one 2 year's ago.

All the stuff that you have posted is reproduction and the roof light is not period correct.
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:37   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
I have been in touch with a guy in Hyderabad who has a few spares. Here are the pics. Good enough?
Also, he is charging 1500 for the fuel cap, dicky lock and roof lamps. I asked him for a set of front and rear glass beadings for which he is quoting 4000 (set of front and back). I also asked him for a set of 4 wheel caps. He said he just sold a set of 4 (steel) caps for 10,000.
Is it a rip off or do these things cost this much?
EDIT: Just read your post- wow, the prices sure are steep!! If you have to make a choice of only 1 out of the three, I suggest you go for just the fuel cap.

Beadings- you mean the rubber ones (I think are in the pic.) or the 'inner' aluminium ones?? Either ones, the price sounds a bit too steep. So also the price of the hubcaps. Hopefully they didnt have the hole drilled through the centre as in most cases.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd October 2012 at 20:38.
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:00   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
EDIT: Just read your post- wow, the prices sure are steep!! If you have to make a choice of only 1 out of the three, I suggest you go for just the fuel cap.

Beadings- you mean the rubber ones (I think are in the pic.) or the 'inner' aluminium ones?? Either ones, the price sounds a bit too steep. So also the price of the hubcaps. Hopefully they didnt have the hole drilled through the centre as in most cases.
I will go for just the fuel cap in that case. Yes, the 4000 was for the rubber beadings.

The hub caps were not drilled in the center, however, another contact who has a set of caps tells me that there is a hole drilled in the center which I will have to fill up and chrome plate. Will this be too much of a problem?

Praveen
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:13   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will go for just the fuel cap in that case. Yes, the 4000 was for the rubber beadings.

The hub caps were not drilled in the center, however, another contact who has a set of caps tells me that there is a hole drilled in the center which I will have to fill up and chrome plate. Will this be too much of a problem?
The only problem is you cant chrome plate only the filling in the center, and chrome plating the whole hubcap will result in rust unlimited for the rest of eternity, as I'd earlier told you about...so the caps are better off as they are in SS! even with the hole in the centre (which can be obscured by fitting some bolt or rivet-head, you can get that brass-plated to add to the looks. )
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Praveen
The fuel cap that you are buying is any way repro, so if I give you one what would you say ?? The twist and lock type.

And the correct Interior roof light would be - Rectangular type, you can spot the difference between this and the one you posted. If you get these please get 2 for me too.

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-dsc08389.jpg

As for the Grab Handels (which you asked earlier) - they would be plastic with aluminium hardware.

Also if you chance to get these, I would be grateful -

Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!-grease-cap.jpg

Shyam (Stanher) had a car (delight) with these Fiat scripted Grease caps. The picture is from his car only.

Last edited by manishalive : 23rd October 2012 at 21:27.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:21   #52
BANNED

Quote:
The only problem is you cant chrome plate only the filling in the center, and chrome plating the whole hubcap will result in rust unlimited for the rest of eternity, as I'd earlier told you about...so the caps are better off as they are in SS! even with the hole in the centre (which can be obscured by fitting some bolt or rivet-head, you can get that brass-plated to add to the looks. )
Oh yes, I understand the consequence of chrome plating the whole hub cap :( The brass plating of the bolt/rivet head is a good idea !

So, if I got it right, did the SS hub caps come with a hole in the center? If so, why?? Also, if a hole is drilled in the center, fill it be a hole in the Fiat engraving thats normally in the center?

Manish has mentioned that the roof lamps are not the period ones, but the seller insists that they are! any thoughts on that?

Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The fuel cap that you are buying is any way repro, so if I give you one what would you say ?? The twist and lock type.

If only there was the option to hit the "Thanks" button a million times!

Thanks a million, I would say!

Additionally, are those roof lamps not original? the seller seems to be sure they are!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th October 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If only there was the option to hit the "Thanks" button a million times!

Thanks a million, I would say!

Additionally, are those roof lamps not original? the seller seems to be sure they are!
See my modified post, the period correct ones are there.
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, if I got it right, did the SS hub caps come with a hole in the center? If so, why?? Also, if a hole is drilled in the center, fill it be a hole in the Fiat engraving thats normally in the center?

Manish has mentioned that the roof lamps are not the period ones, but the seller insists that they are! any thoughts on that?
The SS hubcaps never came with the hole drilled in originally but many people got them drilled in to secure them in place with the bolt so they wouldnt fall off. If you look closely at your 1100 rims, they should each have 4 clips to hold the hubcaps in place. These clips often get broken or lose their tensile strength due to age/wear (afterall, most of our average car owners/mechanics are not very gentle with handling parts on cars, even today!) hence many people would resort to drilling holes in the centre of the hubcaps and bolting them in place, unbfortunately this resulted in the hole being drilled right through the FIAT logo in the centre!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:50   #55
BANNED

Quote:
And the correct Interior roof light would be - Rectangular type, you can spot the difference between this and the one you posted. If you get these please get 2 for me too.
I see the difference between the two. I will send this photograph across to the guy and ask him if he can get these (rectangular type). If yes, I will surely ask him for an additional set. I asked the guy about the grab handles, he doesn't have them as of now.

Thanks,
Praveen

Quote:
The SS hubcaps never came with the hole drilled in originally but many people got them drilled in to secure them in place with the bolt so they wouldnt fall off. If you look closely at your 1100 rims, they should each have 4 clips to hold the hubcaps in place. These clips often get broken or lose their tensile strength due to age/wear (afterall, most of our average car owners/mechanics are not very gentle with handling parts on cars, even today!) hence many people would resort to drilling holes in the centre of the hubcaps and bolting them in place, unbfortunately this resulted in the hole being drilled right through the FIAT logo in the centre!
Shyam,

Yes, I have noticed that the rims of my car have a few of the clips left. I guessed that these holes were drilled in the hub caps to keep them from falling off. ALthough, its a shame that the holes are drilled into the Fiat logo :(

However, if I can only get a set of caps with the holes drilled, so be it.

Cheers,
Praveen

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th October 2012 at 12:10. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 24th October 2012, 09:46   #56
BHPian

Wow , congrats praveen on the excellent restoration .LCK is an old garage and it usually the knowledge and the attitude to put in the extra effort for perfect fixes which is the key differenciator .

Finding the smaller bits and getting it to next level is an ongoing process ,good to have the car running and slowly get the smaller aspects fixed .

The grab handles and the roof lights seem to be hard to find as i am looking for a set as well for a long time without much success .

For the glass rubbers i did pay a similar price in Mumbai and i suggest you grab a pair as you will need them sooner or later .

Prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 22:00   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The grab handles and the roof lights seem to be hard to find as i am looking for a set as well for a long time without much success .

For the glass rubbers i did pay a similar price in Mumbai and i suggest you grab a pair as you will need them sooner or later .

Prashanth
Thanks a lot Prashanth!

Yes, I am looking everywhere for the grab handles and roof lamps, without much luck so far. Lets see! I guess I will buy the glass rubbers for the price that the guy is asking. Kannan said he will give me some tips (including powder coating the beadings and storing them in a dry place) to store them safely.

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 25th October 2012, 10:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Praveen,

I see that you replaced your both front and rear windshields. DO you have the old ones still with you or your mechanic. I would love to have the front one.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:29   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Praveen,

I see that you replaced your both front and rear windshields. DO you have the old ones still with you or your mechanic. I would love to have the front one.
Hi Manish,

Yes, I had replaced the original glasses (both front and rear) as they had a lot of scratches, making night driving quite tough.

Unfortunately, these were given away to someone when we removed them before sending the car to the painters. Sorry about that.

Praveen
Old 25th October 2012, 13:02   #60
BHPian

The car looks immaculate! We had the same car till 1988! Your car made me nostalgic, took me back to those years so easily.

One thing I would like to suggest, change the Horn button to " FIAT" if possible. I suppose that's the original fitment for the car.
dip27in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks