Team-BHP - 1972 VW Beetle Restoration - Painted
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   1972 VW Beetle Restoration - Painted (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/131436-1972-vw-beetle-restoration-painted.html)

No big surprises, yet another VW Beetle came into my stable for a full fledged restoration.

This is an amazing story on how this car came to Bangalore all the way from the Detroit of India - COIMBATORE :) I shall let the pics do the talking and would request Sanjay too to chip in with his interesting information, just hope he is recovering from the Surprising SHOCK i gave him recently:D

The car arrived on 10th Jan 2013, and probably this NEW ENGINE was never fired for god knows exactly how many years. I took a look at the car and was amazed by the way the car was preserved all these years and apart from the cracked and dried paint job the whole surface is INTACT and clean, barring a few rust spots.

Lets not go to the body work right now, Since Sanjay told me about this car not having been started in a long time, i decided to give him a Surprise :) Off goes the car to the mechanic for the following work, Would love to thank thebulletboy aka Panjak of Jalopy shop for quickly supplying the much needed spares.

1) Complete Brake overhaul
2) Wheel bearing replacement
3) Wheel Cylinder replacement
4) Front Caliper kits replaced
5) Brake lines repaired and replaced
6) Carb split and overhauled
7) Valves adjusted
8) Engine oil drained and replaced
9) Gearbox oil drained and replaced

All the above work in the span of 24 hours, i must deeply thank my mechanic to have delivered the above work in such a short span of time.

Some more pics to tell the story.

Thurrock Big bore 1641 with engle 110 cam, melling high flow pump, custom exhaust and weber progressive carb imported in the late 90's and installed in a fully painted car was lying idle with bits missing till I called Pavan.

In 1 week since the conversation, the engine has been fired for the first time and the resto is on !!!!! Thanks a Ton Pavan! will fill in the whole story as the build happens.

Petrolheads find each other no matter what!

This is exactly what happened between me and Pavan, we have still not met but this 1302s is finally where it should be - in the hands of an air cooled fan!

I will add the history and story of this car as the build progresses, but right now I would like to say
Pavan, you are the Beetle Man! Thanks for helping!

And we are back!

A new year and a new beginning, not to mention a new feast for the eyes and soul!

Thank you Pavan sir, for starting yet another MIP (Masterpiece in Progress) thread. The bug looks quite clean, even the tyres don't seem to be worn out too much.
Bring it on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30b16 (Post 3018473)

Petrolheads find each other no matter what!

I will add the history and story of this car as the build progresses, but right now I would like to say
Pavan, you are the Beetle Man! Thanks for helping!

Sir, dont have to Thank me for this, it would be my honour to restore a sleeping classic :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan (Post 3018716)
And we are back!

A new year and a new beginning, not to mention a new feast for the eyes and soul!

Thank you Pavan sir, for starting yet another MIP (Masterpiece in Progress) thread. The bug looks quite clean, even the tyres don't seem to be worn out too much.
Bring it on!

Thanks, yes of-course there will be a lot to come this year, keep watching out this section.:thumbs up

ENGINE START UP VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HlWlSVK7eus

Getting back to the topic, there are few areas where Rusting has spread, nothing to worry too much about, once we complete scraping the paint, we will be starting metal replacement work. But the main concern right now is getting rid of all that EXCESSIVE Metal Paste on the surface.

A couple of pictures of the car when it was in regular use

Waiting to see another example being set right and motoring along the roads. And Sanjay, good to see you back after 5 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30b16 (Post 3019321)
A couple of pictures of the car when it was in regular use

That looks so nice and Complete, wonder why it is what it is right now:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automaton (Post 3019344)
Waiting to see another example being set right and motoring along the roads. And Sanjay, good to see you back after 5 years!

Definitely my team is working towards it :)

Few panels scraped off, and body tapping done, the surface is looking wonderful right now, with the correct body beating i am assured there will be almost very little body filler work. Keep watching this space.

Also have procured 6 litres of Epoxy primer.

Pavan Sir no doubt you will do wonders on this machine, Another Feather on your cap. Will keep watching :)

Thanks,
Saleem

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 3021111)
That looks so nice and Complete, wonder why it is what it is right now:cool:.

I am wondering the same Pavan , after seeing the pictures of the car looking the way it did. I guess it is a classic case of over enthusiasm coupled with starting a project without a proper plan and more importantly starting something without the right people to help you complete it.

I had a running car, a brand new engine and loads of interesting bits for it and all this was just supposed to be installed once the painting was done. This is where it all started to fall apart with several pieces missing now ! Thank God the car did not disappear as well .

The car has been idle since the late 90's and am thrilled to bits that the day is not far away when it will be a proper runner once again !

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetle_boy (Post 3021680)
Pavan Sir no doubt you will do wonders on this machine, Another Feather on your cap. Will keep watching :)

Thanks,
Saleem

Thanks, Long time Saleem. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30b16 (Post 3021730)
I am wondering the same Pavan , after seeing the pictures of the car looking the way it did. I guess it is a classic case of over enthusiasm coupled with starting a project without a proper plan and more importantly starting something without the right people to help you complete it.

I had a running car, a brand new engine and loads of interesting bits for it and all this was just supposed to be installed once the painting was done. This is where it all started to fall apart with several pieces missing now ! Thank God the car did not disappear as well .

The car has been idle since the late 90's and am thrilled to bits that the day is not far away when it will be a proper runner once again !

Sanjay, hopefully that day will come very soon, i guarantee you that. :)

Some more work-in-progress pics

Hi Mr. Pavan,
I'm restoring a '74 w116 s class mercedes. need some help in the restoration. How can i get in touch with you?

Happy to see another Bug getting the Bugstop touch. The car surely has got some history attached with it. Its surprising to see the engine getting fired up in the 5th post itself. clap:
WIP pics depict high quality work, sanding thoroughly with not even a minute chip of paint left on.

Best of luck with the project Pavan ji, will be keeping a tab on this one religiously.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal (Post 3024730)
Hi Mr. Pavan,
I'm restoring a '74 w116 s class mercedes. need some help in the restoration. How can i get in touch with you?

Sure Abhimanyu, anytime :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsag12 (Post 3025616)
Happy to see another Bug getting the Bugstop touch. The car surely has got some history attached with it. Its surprising to see the engine getting fired up in the 5th post itself. clap:
WIP pics depict high quality work, sanding thoroughly with not even a minute chip of paint left on.

Best of luck with the project Pavan ji, will be keeping a tab on this one religiously.:)

Thanks Sagar, will keep this updated regularly :)

About the car updates , Almost most of the areas that needs attention are being attended to right now, luckily we dont have too much of rusting :)

I finally met the Beetle Man, Pavan Kadam last week in Bangalore. I am amazed by his enthusiasm and passion for the Air Cooled VWs. It was a super few hours discussing the build plans for the 1302 as well as the long story about the car. Like he said , never mess with a good running car :). Hats off to Pavan who has no hesitation about customizing build/restoration plans depending on the budget of each client, as long as it means keeping another vw alive. Enjoyed the super biriyani too !

Anyways, I am glad 8010 is in his hands and can finally be completed (better late than never) as planned although 15 years behind schedule.