Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 23:06   #31
BHPian

Re: The Hindustan 14 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaidmehkri View Post
Hello everyone, nice to see this thread! Here are a few pictures of our Hindustan 14, taken at the Vintage Car Rally organised by the Karnataka Vintage and Classic Car Club, on the 10th of this month. This car has been with my family ever since it was bought, newly, in 1950. It took quite a while to restore, but it isn't complete yet as we need to add a few finishing touches to it; looking forward to any suggestions!
Nice car! Please replace the starter and choke knobs. And the Morris monogram in the engine bay would do more justice on a Morris Eight grille.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, nice to see this thread! Here are a few pictures of our Hindustan 14, taken at the Vintage Car Rally organised by the Karnataka Vintage and Classic Car Club, on the 10th of this month. This car has been with my family ever since it was bought, newly, in 1950. It took quite a while to restore, but it isn't complete yet as we need to add a few finishing touches to it; looking forward to any suggestions!
Hi Junaid,

It really is a lovely car, surely amongst the best Hindustans around. Great to know you have owned it since new. Do you retain any interesting literature that would have come with the car? Like an owner's manual, any advertisements/catalogues, delivery notes etc? Maybe period photos in your family albums? Do dig around and look for such stuff and make a file for the car.

What was the condition prior to restoration? You and whoever has restored the car have obviously taken great pains. All the correct bits appear to be in place, and present well. I am not sure if a locking fuel cap was available at the time, maybe an option or popular accessory. Do try and locate a non-locking variety just for novelty, if not for use. The badges on the bonnet and bootlid were probably highlighted in trademark Morris blue rather than red, which is seen on your dash badges too. Here is the badge on my car with remains of the blue. I also have an NOS rear badge with the HINDUSTAN lettering portion highlighted in the same blue.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-13.jpg

Shwetank already pointed out the dash knobs, and I am sure you know about it. They are a dark brown, similar in design to later Amby units which were black. If you get them you could repaint it, else import some Morris units. I am not sure, but maybe your glove box doors should be painted in a contrasting cream or gold. It is so in my car, though maybe yours being such an early model (with sidelights integrated) had them in body colour. Do you have samples of the original upholstry? My car (in a similar colour to yours) has a dark green interior. Maybe other colours were offered over the years. I think there should be a steel trim across the door panels, though I don't have an original sample as reference. I'm glad that your car has the correct yellow pinstriping along the coachline and wheels. I would suggest a pair of period numberplates - in my view the only current eyesore. For smaller, more economical cars like a Hindustan I assume they mainly had painted/stenciled plates, though larger cars in period had beautiful stylised cast aluminium letters. If this were my car, I would make plates like this (and I would even leave them in white over black - how often will the car be used anyway)

The Hindustan 14 Thread-morris01.jpg

Regarding the engine bay my car too has the walls in black, maybe that's how they came from the factory. Was the engine always green, or perhaps a dull grey?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 23:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Nice car! Please replace the starter and choke knobs. And the Morris monogram in the engine bay would do more justice on a Morris Eight grille.
Thank you! Will definitely look into these things, thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Hi Junaid,
Regarding the engine bay my car too has the walls in black, maybe that's how they came from the factory. Was the engine always green, or perhaps a dull grey?

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for the compliments. I just checked with my father and he said that all he has with him at the moment is the original RC book. He will dig around for the other literature you've mentioned, and I will post pictures if he can locate anything. I haven't turned 21 yet, so most of these documents are still in my father's possession

The car has always been in good shape as it's been sparingly used throughout. The only problem was that the paint had worn out quite a bit and rust had formed. So a whole lot of tinkering was required, followed by painting. The interiors were done up too, but it wasn't a major job. All the other major components, the engine etc didn't need to be worked upon.

And as for the dash knobs which you and Shwetank pointed out; I'm heading to the UK next week, for a small holiday, so I could probably pick them up there. Do you by any chance have any idea of any dealers of Morris parts over there? Please let me know if you do! We're also looking for the rear curtain mechanism, which my father mentions he has definitely seen in the car (not sure if it was a factory standard or an accessory fitting though), a complete gasket kit, an SU carb and a gear lever knob, which has cracked. The indicator arms are not functioning, so we're desperately trying to get our hands on that. By any chance, do you have a picture of the parts inventory of the car? We'd like to verify it and determine what parts are missing, so we could hopefully order them while we're in the UK.

As for the other things you've mentioned, my father says the glove box door has always been green in color, as well as the engine bay. The fuel cap has always been of the locking type. The original upholstery and door pads were chocolate brown, unfortunately we do not have a sample of that, and we found out the original color too late. He also remembers that the monogram was indeed painted in blue, and not red; we will change that soon, thank you for pointing it out! There is a steel trim on three of our door panels; one is missing unfortunately. And we are trying to locate the original number plates, which were painted and not embossed like the current ones. Will revert to them when we find them.

Regards, and thank you for all the advice!
Old 28th August 2014, 13:38   #34

Bump! Can anyone help me out with that, please? Any well known dealers of vintage car parts in the UK that anyone's aware of?
Old 28th August 2014, 13:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bump! Can anyone help me out with that, please? Any well known dealers of vintage car parts in the UK that anyone's aware of?
Besides switches what specific parts are you looking for? Remember always ask for parts for 'Morris Oxford series MO', nobody will know Hindustan 14. Also useful to send pictures of your car or the part required when contacting sellers.

A quick google search on Morris Oxford MO parts throws up some listings, have a look. Many are based in Australia/New Zealand where the car was also popular.

Keep a regular eye on eBay for specific items, you'll find what nobody else has very often.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rd+mo&_sacat=0
Old 30th August 2014, 22:12   #36

Hello to You all - I have a Morris Oxford MO (Hindustan 14 cousin ) in the UK. I carry out regular research into the production records which still survive. I was the magazine editor for the car club for 8 years and watched from afar the numbers of '14's appearing on the internet grow from a trickle in '2000 to the present 'internet sales web site' numbers. In this time I have catalogued every one I have seen with their pictures. I now have information on over 120 (some of which will be MO Oxfords). It is very pleasing to see this site and I look forward to contributing and helping explain the production changes.

I attach a picture from 2003 taken with Jack Daniels, one of the designers of the car
Attached Thumbnails
The Hindustan 14 Thread-theman-car-crop-2.jpg  

smodriver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 10:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

A lovely photo of a brand new Hindustan 14. The caption reads "The Indonesian Press Delegation, visit to the Hindustan Motors in Calcutta"

The Hindustan 14 Thread-38251.jpg

http://photodivision.gov.in/writerea...ails/38251.jpg

Note the coachlining across the sides, even for Indian cars.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th April 2015 at 10:41.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 13:27   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the subject featured is a Morris Oxford, I felt this is the best place to share this super shot.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-16310.jpg

Quote:
John Godley, son of Lord Kilbracken on his way to New Zealand from London by car was snapped in Delhi on his 14 H.P. Car which has specially built and equipped for him by a leading British motor car manufacturing firm. Picture shows Mr. Godley sitting his car.
http://photodivision.gov.in/waterMar...p?id=16310.jpg
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:13   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Iranian Press Delegation members photographed during their visit to the (Calcutta) on February 3, 1953. HINDUSTAN MOTORS (LTD).
The Hindustan 14 Thread-31841.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-31842.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-31844.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:49   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Super pic - We can clearly see the coach-lining on the wheels too, similar to Morris Oxfords. I always wondered if Indian cars had them too.
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The New Hindusthan, the only car manufactured in India. Costs Rs. 9375/- to buy.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-hin.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 06:21   #42
BANNED

I just came across this thread. It brought back old memories. A Sky blue Hindustan 14 (DLC26) was the first car registered in my name. We got it in 1969 and kept it for a few years. I really recall the car with a lot of nostalgia.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:24   #43
BHPian

Congratulations Karl on acquiring another Classic! I've not been active on the forum lately but at this rate you're on your way to becoming the largest Indian Classic car collector!

Please do give me a shout in advance the next time you're headed to Cal & make it the trip more than half a day; there are a couple of places where we can go parts hunting for several of your cars!
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:31   #44
h14
BHPian

Nice thread! Missed it so long :(

Let me share the pics of our h14's. The h14 was the car that brought out the vintage love in me. The mdc 7521 (in pics)was one car that left me with a lot sleepless nights. The car I grew up admiring inch by inch

As mentioned elsewhere, these are owned by our family friend who incidentally has the largest collection of h14's. They currently own 5 of them. These are some very old pictures. Will get some recent pictures and share across a little later

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_1.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_2.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_3.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_4.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_5.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-h14_6.jpg

Last edited by h14 : 3rd June 2015 at 17:33.
h14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently noticed a feature in the Hindustan that I haven't seen before - the bracket to hold the spare wheel.

The Hindustan 14 Thread-hindustan18.jpg

The Hindustan 14 Thread-hindustan19.jpg

Note the Mowog stamping seen on many original English parts of Morris cars - they say its stands for Morris Wolseley MG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks