Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 08:44   #31
BHPian

Re: The Wedding Story : Restoring my 1973 Ambassador Mark-II

Congratulations Astraholic, for your journey with ur soul mate and drive mate. The flow of words are just too good to read through and wish you all the very best to reach many more such memorable milestones.
winsler_srider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraholic View Post

Now that was the story of KLF-6174.
Well written story of Mark II. One of my colleagues has a Mark II which was kept unattended for long years. Yesterday he moved her to workshop to restore her. I have shared this thread with him and he would like to contact you to get details about your Mark II's restoration. Could you please PM me your contact details if it is OK with you. Thanks!!!
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:17   #33
BHPian

Dear Astraholic,
Firstly Congratulation on your wedding.Wishing you and your wife a happy and blessed life. You have given a stellar way of unfolding love over three generations here ,all I can say is "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".
You have brought back special nostalgic memories of my growing up days when we had the amby from the mark II version till the Nova. My Driver used to take me for rides when little .We had countless trips to various destinations .gosh such lovely days.It was the amby that I learnt my driving .Really missed the Ambassador once we sold the last one back in 1994.
Your car paint job is sui generis. Kudos to you and KLF 6174.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 22:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

If my memory serves me right, I've seen your car before. May be during in 2000s in Tripunithura or was it at a garage in Pettah?

-- Jose
Sir, are you someway related to Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory?!! You have eidetic memory. Yes, you might have seen this car. Back in 2000, maintenance was done at Pranchi Aashan's workshop. Between Tripunithura and Petta. It was behind current Chicking outlet. Once again hats off to your incredible memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4bhp View Post
My next plan is to buy and restore her. Fingers crossed.
Thank you mad4bhp. All the best in finding and restoring the car, man. Happy that you are taking the initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
As the saying goes, "the only thing standing after 7 pm is the Gandhi Statue"

KPS
So true Sir!!! Especially in a state where Bar licence was once allowed to a hotel opposite Gandhiji's statue! Thankfully the license was cancelled, or else considering the position of the statue, it would've appeared as if Gandhiji was walking towards the bar !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Reminds me of my wedding in which the car was more of a hit than me

Incidentally my dads wedding car was a black Fiat as well.
This is member SandeepMohan's paternal granddad's car handed down.
Which was your wedding car tharian? Can you please share a picture? SandeepMohan's car looks pristine. Is that the original paintjob? So glad to see its so well maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Since you have so much passion towards the car, and try to use it daily, just letting you know that, you have soo many engine options, which will make the car super smooth and powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

I fully agree with the suggestion from Dhanush.

I am pretty sure that you can easily find an engine from one of the old workshops from some of the traditional automotive work centres in Kerala. Try the Trivandrum Marikar themselves. I am sure they will have some lying around.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
You guys read my mind. I was fiddling with the same idea for a while now. The matador engine is the Alok Nath of engines. Uptight and boring. I did indeed search for OHV engines in Thrissur but could not find any. They have truck loads of BMC and Isuzu engines but no OHV. Is it possible to transplant any RWD CRDI engine and gearbox into my car? I know its an ambitious question, but keeping aside the legal aspect and budget involved, how feasible is the idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Interesting thought - but in bangalore, the biggest downer will come in the nature of parking space.
So true haria. Parking is the biggest headache in Bangalore. And the other issue is the "Athithi Devo Bhava" attitude of Bangalore Police when they see cars from other states! I cling to my toll slips like dear life,whenever I bring my car to Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
I live in Alappuzha, I'll be looking for this car the next time I visit Fort Kochi
Hey night_fury, am from Tripunithura. Fort Kochi was the location for the photo shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
Looking at the grill it seems as if the car is grinning and is in a happy space after the restoration.
Even I felt the same luv. It indeed resembles a happy grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Looking forward to your Tata Estate restoration now.
Hey Maclaren rulez, there is another restoration thread coming up before the Tata Estate. Restored a Fiat Palio 1.2 along with Amby. That is another story altogether, so will be posting it as a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Would love to see some photographs of the tastefully done interiors.

Cheers ! Long live the Kaprekar's constant Ambassador !!
I will post some good shots soon black blade. Thank you for your warm wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
Its amazing how most of us here treat our cars like family members.
So true saishivaj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
On a different note - Why did you (or the workshop) need 6 litre of engine oil and 4 litre of engine flush?
Its an honour receiving your compliments Sir. Your pristine condition Amby has always been an inspiration for me. Regarding the engine oil, I believe 5 litre is for engine sump, approximately 1/2 for the oil bath type air cleaner and topping up the mico Bosch fuel pump. Rest as reserve for topping up. Is this actual figures? About the engine flush, even I was sceptical. Maybe Sajiappan did flush it down, but in a different route maybe !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Yesterday he moved her to workshop to restore her. I have shared this thread with him and he would like to contact you to get details about your Mark II's restoration. Could you please PM me your contact details if it is OK with you. Thanks!!!
Wow! Another Mark II restoration? Am excited already. Dudevarkey I tried sending pm but I guess as a newbie am not authorised to send pm. Or is it my ignorance? Please ask your friend to send me an email to anandshyam89@gmail.com. I will get in touch with him. Feel free to contact me anytime. All the best with the restoration.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th March 2017 at 00:04. Reason: Back to back posts.
Astraholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 08:04   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraholic View Post
.. Is it possible to transplant any RWD CRDI engine and gearbox into my car? ...
It is definitely possible. Hence my comment. The newer 2.2 mhawk engines should be super fun!

If you are on a budget the older engines too work out well. Like the one I had, the Nissan SD25. You need to get the Engine + 2WD Gearbox. The only work will be to set the gear lever in the right position.
Old 8th March 2017, 01:22   #36
DJR

Congratulations on you wedding and best wishes for your married life.
Wonderful storytelling - I really liked the way you narrated the life story of your car. I must say that 6174 is a stunner.

Note from Support: Post edited for readability.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:49   #37
BHPian

Awesome man. You have written one of the best thread I have read. Restoring your grand father's car is just out of the world. I am sure the car would have been a celebrity at your wedding.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:44   #38
BHPian

Hey,
It was awesome reading your story. The narration was perfect,the background,the history,the marriage, just loved it. Kept me glued to the desktop. Through all of this, i see the passion in you for life itself. Congratulations on your marriage and your success with the restoration. May God bless you with miles n miles of success and happiness with both your beloveds. Hoping to see more contributions from you.
Old 8th March 2017, 19:03   #39
BHPian

To sum up, this thread is the best ever I have read on team bhp. You have redefined the art of story telling in subtle way and I feel bollywood directors can take a cue from this and in near future can make a movie on your story.

My dad had an Amby which was a second hand car with petrol engine and was subsequently converted to a matador diesel engine. Along with Engine change the paint job was also done and I must tell you, your thread took me back to my childhood days of assisting dad in his restoration work of Amby.

Here's wishing you and your better half a superb married life.
Old 8th March 2017, 23:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a mesmerizing story of KLF6174! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the entire thread from start to end. Amazingly restored as well! Now, looking forward to the story of the Tata Estate. Enjoy 6174 for many more years to come; both of you surely do deserve each others company! I don't think this car will ever part ways with your family...
Old 13th March 2017, 12:50   #41

Brother thanks for the outstanding writeup. Amby boy is really lucky to have found your family. Amazing restoration and good story line. The paintjob is outstanding, I just have one suggestion to go in for pin striping between the colors will make your car stand out. Just a suggestion, many congratulations on your marriage.
Old 13th March 2017, 15:12   #42
BHPian

What a great way to start a lazy Monday afternoon at work! First of all congrats on the wedding and wishing you both a long fun filled journey Great story and execution, the only down side being, now I miss my KEK family ambassador

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks