Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family

So finally I got back an Amby for myself!

We owned a 1972 Mark IV for quite a few years. I wasn't even born then. But the car remained in the family for quite a few years until she was sold in Scrap! I had learnt to drive on the same Ambassador and then she left us.

The car in the image below is the one that I have mentioned above - MRJ 692. I searched for her a lot within the city (Pune) when i grew up, however, I was not able to locate her at any scrapyard or Garage.

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-1100.jpeg

The Itch remained...

Having always wanting a similar onefor a very long time, my search always continued. There was a time when I found one but never had the money, or if I had the money, the documents were not in order. Cut to - September 2022, I had to go to Sangli (Maharashtra) from Pune to accompany a friend for some personal work of his. His neighbor had this Blue Ambassador parked in this parking along with a Hyundai Creta. I inquired with my friends relatives and they connected me to him. He was surprised that why would I want this car and he was looking for a buyer for the Ambassador as he didn't have much time to take care of her and always wanted to give it to a good home. This was the moment!!

The Deal

I took his contact details and got in touch with him once I came back to Pune. His initial quote was an astronomical sum to which I had to negotiate a lot and got it within my budget. I did a token transfer and after 3-4 days I left for Sangli. Met the Owner and a lot of other people (around 30 People) showed up as the entire clan got emotional that the car was going away today. Completed all the formalities with respect to the transfer of documents etc. All done, She is mine now!

Getting her Home

Since I was all alone, I had arranged a car carrier for the Ambassador to get her back to Pune. (Perks of working in an OEM in the past where I dealt with the dispatch fellows too) Took a day to arrive in Pune at the outskirts. Took a bike taxi to get her back home.

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-34.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-33.jpeg

The above 2 images are when the vehicle was loaded into the car carrier.

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-35.jpeg

This one is me getting her out of the carrier. The carrier fellow did not know how to drive a column shift!

About Her...

She's born in 1990. Has had 2 owners in the past (I would be the third owner) The second owner from whom I got her, had her for 30 years. He had purchased it from a person who was working with the Maharashtra State Transport Corporation and had apparently got a job in some other place and was disposing off his belongings. What more... Column Shift, Pretty much in stock condition. Does not let off any kind of smoke. Somethings that don't work are the speedometer and the fuel guage. Rest all is in decent shape.

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-60.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-61.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-62.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-63.jpeg

That's me posing with her!

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-55.jpeg

And some more shots.. Cant get my eyes off her!! (Trying out some filters from the camera, i don't think she neeed's any filters)

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-66.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-67.jpeg

While driving around, I came across one of the last manufactured Ambassadors. Was comparing them.

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-80.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-81.jpeg

And some more shots...

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-82.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-83.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-84.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-85.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-86.jpeg

Bought a 1990 Ambassador: An icon back in the family-87.jpeg

The Journey Begins Now!!

So now, I still haven't christened her. (Any recommends?) Also now, I'd begin my journey of countless miles and re-living my childhood memories.

Thank you all for the encouragement!!

@karlosdeville & arun1100 You have been an inspiration to me.

Last edited by acestormtrooper : 16th October 2022 at 21:14. Reason: Addition content
acestormtrooper is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our 1960 HM Ambassador Mark 1 - The Indian Marque!

Excellent find @acestormtrooper

Car looks awesome. Consider making your post a new thread.
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Excellent find @acestormtrooper

Car looks awesome. Consider making your post a new thread.

How does one do that? I’m still unable to figure out the user interface here. If possible, do guide. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2022, 18:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
How does one do that? I’m still unable to figure out the user interface here. If possible, do guide. Thanks.
I'm quite digitally challenged but this is what I do:

1. Go to "shifting gears" and click on "assembly line"
2. In "assembly line" click on "new topic" which you'll find at the top left hand corner
3. Type your contents in the box provided. The box is rather small. If my content is longer than a couple of paras I usually type it separately, perfect the contents and then paste it here.
4. To save your contents in a work-in-progress room press "submit thread". You'll be able to view your thread in its final form
5. Once final to upload press the triangle on the left hand side and leave a note for the moderators to review the thread and upload.

Uploading the photos is a whole separate story.

I believe there is a route to bung in a thread bypassing the moderators but I don't know that route.

Hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
We owned a 1972 Mark IV for quite a few years. I wasn't even born then. But the car remained in the family for quite a few years until she was sold in Scrap! I had learnt to drive on the same Ambassador and then she left us.
Sorry to be a nitpicker in your excitement, but 1972 Mark IV seems off. The Mark 4 was introduced in 1979-'80, I believe.

Otherwise, the car looks lovely and brings back memories and a faint whiff of the Ambassador smell (those who know, know!)!

Congratulations on the acquisition.
Pennant1970 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:28   #6
BHPian

Congratulations brother. A real good find.

I hope to try driving one / Own one someday. I had come across this car via Facebook Marketplace of all things. Was really tempted but the asking price seemed very high, so skipped. Mention the amount you paid or Ballpark figure at-least if possible.
Atul Kolekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2368835

Attachment 2368836
Congratulations! What a beauty. The pic with old Banyan trees looks so nostalgic. Is this taken at Yerwada near jail area towards Commerzone?
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations! What a beauty. The pic with old Banyan trees looks so nostalgic. Is this taken at Yerwada near jail area towards Commerzone?
Thanks so much.

This has been clicked in Koregaon Park, i suppose lane 4 or 5.
acestormtrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 00:38   #9
BHPian

Many congratulations acestormtrooper

Have been on the wall several times when it came to buying an Ambassador but have never managed to cross the wall yet.

Grew up with a Mark 3 then a Mark 4 and then a Nova. Never used the Isuzu but a neighbor had one. As a teenager I used to admire the smoothness of the engine on cold starts.

My dad still thinks there isn't a better car for the back seat ride and he never could let go off the pleasure of resting his feet on the clutch - the clutches had enormous play. The Marutis never offered a foot rest clutch and he never enjoyed driving afterwards.

Does this still have the foot operated high beam switch? It has the Nova steering but a Mark 4 grille. Any story behind it? Or maybe my memory is failing me on the details.

And that light in the engine bay! Brings back so many memories when we had to get under the bonnet of the Mark 4 to identify issues - water in the distributor, dirt in the fuel pipe, a stuck starter and the list can be very long.

Last edited by cooldip : 19th October 2022 at 00:41. Reason: Gramatical errors
cooldip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Hello Pennant1970,

It was a typo (My Bad!), we owned a 1982 Mark IV. And YES, the smell!!

Hi Atul Kolekar, tentatively between Rs. 80,000 - Rs. 1,20,000/- All papers clear - Green tax paid and Insurance in order.

Hey cooldip , This initially had the upper dipper on the foot, however the previous owner changed it to the toggle switches on the dash. I had inquired about the steering wheel, the previous owners father had changed it. Anyway, as I said my journey begins now. Sourcing some spares and getting a full fledged paint job.

Thanks guys!!
acestormtrooper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 15:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Always a pleasure to see someone doing what I always wanted to do but cannot due to some or other constraints

This blue color is just the right one for Ambassador is what I feel. I also liked the dark blue ones back in the day.

Do keep posting updates on the car.
Hopefully, I will get inspired one day and get a Premier 118NE (My personal favourite)
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 20:13   #12
BHPian

Hi NiInJa,

Will surely keep posting updates.

Do go in for the 1118 NE. Have seen a couple of them in the market.
Old 26th October 2022, 21:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Acestormtrooper! Nice buy there. It rekindles my memories with my Ambasaddor which I used to learn driving. It was a great car with oodles of space inside.

Btw, I see you've dropped your Amby for a makeover with Bromotiv which I see on the below link - congrats again and happy motoring!

gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on aquiring it! Now hoping to see more photos of her!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th October 2022 at 10:14. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 27th October 2022, 22:13   #15
BHPian

Hey gururajrv,

Thanks. Yes, I did go to them to see what they could do for a make over. However they declined instantly. They do have the expertise to do it, but i figured out that they have a space crunch and it was a TIME V/s MONEY situation for them. I have given her to my regular work shop (Wings Auto - Pune) where i get my Linea repaired.

They also mentioned that parts availability would be a concern after which I realised that these guys are more passionate about newer cars rather than restoring a good part of automobile history!!

Babyhindusthan Done.Will upload some soon.

Most Viewed