Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 00:52   #1
BHPian

beetle 1966 restoration help needed

i recently bought a 66 beetle, well it was an impulsive purchase and i realize it needs a lot of work to be done before any one could call it complete
for starters it needs a original carburettor ,it has fiat one currently
can any one advise me /help me source one

among other things it needs a vw dynamo and engine fan.
Old 7th March 2008, 09:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

vw restoration

please pm me.
i can give whatever tips i canregarding sourcing of parts, etc
Old 7th March 2008, 10:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbug View Post
recently bought a 66 beetle, it needs a original carburettor ,among other things it needs a vw dynamo and engine fan.
My couisn has a 1960 beetle... he recently bought a new carb made in Brazil from Germany...he mentioned that for the same price there were German carbs which were reconditioned...he chose to go with the new one.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

i can help you out in getting a 3D model render of your beetel,and bling bling ICE installations
Old 7th March 2008, 11:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
i recently bought a 66 beetle, well it was an impulsive purchase and i realize it needs a lot of work to be done before any one could call it complete

If you need parts, you can try online, i've got parts for my 1963 beetle and '74 Microbus from cip1.com, bfyobsoleteparts.com/, and i've heard wolfsburgwest.com/ is also quite good
Old 7th March 2008, 11:42   #6
OEM
BHPian

i recently bought a 66 beetle, for starters it needs a original carburettor ,it has fiat one currently

Why aren't you speaking to Pavan Kadam?
If there is somebody who can help, it's him. having done it himself.
Search the forums on restoration of VW Beatle. if I am not mistaken, it wasnamed labout of love

OEM
Old 7th March 2008, 12:43   #7
BANNED

Thanks OEM i'll surely help

Great to own a beetle.

Do look into my resto pics on the forum.

Want any help pls pm me or call me on 9886053699 any time.

Some parts lying with me pls pick it up if you want them.

Dont worry about the money part, that's secondary.

good luck for your process of restoration.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th March 2008 at 12:45. Reason: addition
Old 7th March 2008, 12:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats carbug for your new acquisition. Just for my information, is this a yellow coloured beetle which you got from Bombay? Well this car was in Bombay and went to Bangalore recently. If it is the same car, then you really need a lot of work but theres nothing that cannot be done. Best of luck with your project. Make it one of love like Pavan Kadam and 71 Convertible.
Old 7th March 2008, 16:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
please pm me.
i can give whatever tips i canregarding sourcing of parts, etc
Why give tips out via PM, Ajay? Put it up here so that others may benefit from it too!
Old 7th March 2008, 21:34   #10
BHPian

welcome aboard carbug, good luck with your resto job, needs care and patience .. all the best ..contact pavan and 71 convertible ..both are a great source of knowdlege and information
Old 7th March 2008, 21:41   #11
BHPian

thanks a lot

thanks lot guys
well i got in touch with pavan and he was of great help
and v 16 i bought my car right here in hyderabad and it is red in colour
Old 7th March 2008, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Carbug,
The carb and distributor need to be selected together on these cars. Some dizzy (009s for instance) don't work well with some carbs. Also, you need to make sure you have the right vacuum advance ports to match (if your dizzy has vacuum advance). So, what distributor do you have?

Also, what is your objective -- do you want it to run or get it back to period correct. Reason I ask is the 1300 on your car was made for a long time after '66 and came with many different carbs. Are u looking for period exact carbs or any VW carb for a 1300?

Also, what electrical system is in your car 12V or 6V? The carb should have the right electrical choke.

1966 vintage 1300 carb is probably a 30PICT-1 (I think the 1200's used the 28PICT-1). The options are probably a used Original German carb that's been rebuilt/rebushed (check out Kiefernet on Samba) or a new Brosol H30/31. The latter has mixed reviews and is a bit more picky on the dizzy. If you can buy in the US, I recommend buying a rebuilt/rebushed OG one from Kiefernet -- they run about $150.

B
Old 7th March 2008, 22:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Carbug,
The carb and distributor need to be selected together on these cars. Some dizzy (009s for instance) don't work well with some carbs. Also, you need to make sure you have the right vacuum advance ports to match (if your dizzy has vacuum advance). So, what distributor do you have?

Also, what is your objective -- do you want it to run or get it back to period correct. Reason I ask is the 1300 on your car was made for a long time after '66 and came with many different carbs. Are u looking for period exact carbs or any VW carb for a 1300?

Also, what electrical system is in your car 12V or 6V? The carb should have the right electrical choke.

1966 vintage 1300 carb is probably a 30PICT-1 (I think the 1200's used the 28PICT-1). The options are probably a used Original German carb that's been rebuilt/rebushed (check out Kiefernet on Samba) or a new Brosol H30/31. The latter has mixed reviews and is a bit more picky on the dizzy. If you can buy in the US, I recommend buying a rebuilt/rebushed OG one from Kiefernet -- they run about $150.

B
yup, i did read about it i need to get the combination of the distri and the carb right... my car seems to have the fiat distributer...

well i ideally want to get it back to period correct, but realise that it would take alot of time to get all the original parts... in the short term i wish to get it running trouble free and over a period get all the original period correct parts.

is there any way i could get the original engine no of a beetle from the sl no of the car... because i suspect my car might have had its original engine
replaced... and i am not sure of current engines capacity
Old 7th March 2008, 22:49   #14
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Carbug,

B
i forgot... the car currently is 12v ,i guess it was originally 6v
is it possible to restore it to its 6v system
Old 7th March 2008, 23:18   #15
BHPian

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
If you need parts, you can try online, i've got parts for my 1963 beetle and '74 Microbus from cip1.com, bfyobsoleteparts.com/, and i've heard wolfsburgwest.com/ is also quite good
hi

great to know u have micro bus,
i have been on the look out for a micro bus

would u know of any available for sale

any ways does a micro bus share its engine with the beetle...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks