Team-BHP - 66 Volkswagen microbus
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   66 Volkswagen microbus (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/38930-66-volkswagen-microbus.html)

A friend informed me about a 66 vw microbus for sale in hyderabad ,it was a original factory supplied ambulance ,well i couldnt lose the opportunity... i am now a proud owner of a vw microbus... it does need a complete restoration but it has all its original components intact...surprisingly unmolested.. but definitely not cared for..

any info on parts(window trim,seats etc) in india is welcome,i also need help in identifying a good mechanic for body work here in hyderabad(for rusted panels and holes in the floor)...i have located a good mechanic for the engine and other mechanicals.

i hope to get it running and then start the body restoration

i am currently waiting for my mechanic to give me his time and garage space

A VW splitscrreen bus in Hyderabad??!! :Shockked:

Boy some guys have all the luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, congrats carbug!

Yes real fortunate she still is complete/reasonably tidy (for an ambulance!)

Was it originally owned by the UNICEF or something? If I might ask, uh, how much did you get her for?

Engine all original?

Bodywork, I suggest you try this guy named Lakshman, his workshop is located on the 'down' of Tank bund road, its to the left while you go up towards Tank bund.
His work is quite good, even though his rates might seem a little steep (it is possible to bargain though)

Congrats buddy thats a great splitscreen. Are you going to maintain it as an Ambulance or will you be converting her to a Microbus. I think the headlights are of a later model and the covers are missing. The originals came with a cover which made them look quite oval.
Man, rare find!! All the best for the restoration. Please keep us all updated of the process via this thread.

Lovely one there buggy!! Keep her "healthy" now..

Congrats on the new buy dude! All the best for your restoration. Are u going with the ambulance theme??

Nice ride buddy. Hope to see some pictures after the restoration... this is one of the most customisable vehicles ever...

Congrats carbug on your splitscreen. All the very best with your resto. Keep us posted on how you go.

congrats!

do you want to leave it looking like an ambulance?

well i thought of retaining it as an ambulance,but ... i couldnt imagine my self driving it then....now i am hoping to restore it as close to the civilian microbus as possible with out any modification to the body work...only change the trim i.e i dont want to do any thing irreversable...

i just dismantled the ambulance light... i cleaned the assy and have packed it ..

it still has the factory wheel chair with the sliding rails on the floor...

....i am actually looking for a rear door ...the current one does not have a glass... and i dont intend to cut it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 811134)
Congrats buddy thats a great splitscreen. Are you going to maintain it as an Ambulance or will you be converting her to a Microbus. I think the headlights are of a later model and the covers are missing. The originals came with a cover which made them look quite oval.
Man, rare find!! All the best for the restoration. Please keep us all updated of the process via this thread.

yup i know the the lights are not the originals... but lucky they have not cut the body to retrofit the current lights ,i just have to buy the vw lights...
the the engine is complete and it has all the original plates ie the plate giving the original trim and option details and the vin nos

Dude,

Long time u have taken in posting these pics.

Looks awsome, Now you are making me jelous. First a Beetle now a Microbus and that too Split screen. Yes as Stanher says some people have all the luck.

Hope you continue this thread showing the resto process.

Best of luck for the restoration.

I think this ambulance is used in some of the Bollywood films too :)

BTW, carbug: why are the numberplates broken off?? Surely it does have papers intact? Is it a Hyd. regn. only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 811556)
BTW, carbug: why are the numberplates broken off?? Surely it does have papers intact? Is it a Hyd. regn. only?

the front no plate was broken,the rear plate is not visible in the pic due to the open door, i got the vehicle transferred to my name... its reg no is ADX 601

Wow!!!, a split-screen vw bus!
I cant wait to see pics of it after restoration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 811556)

Maybe thats carbug's way of masking the number plates before posting on a public forumclap:.

On a serious note, the broken pieces reveal that number plate is still black...why? Has the bus not been used for the last 4-5 years (when all black number plates became white and all taxi plates became yellow)?