Team-BHP - My encounter with Pontons and a Beetle
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   My encounter with Pontons and a Beetle (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/39448-my-encounter-pontons-beetle.html)

Here's the scenario. I am riding down Reay Road on a friends scooter. We are heading to the Ferrari Discover India closing event.

I am merilly pottering around at 50 kmoh zipping througn traffic etc. etc. One of my eyes are on the garages on the left as a few months ago i had seen a few vintage cars and jeeps there.

Suddenly i spot a solitary ponton on the Side of the Road. Hit the brakes HARD. Stop just in time. My friend knows i have seen a car..(she understands the madness now). And i take my helmet off and say to her,"Look at that Ponton" She looks back blankly and tells me, "Cy, i dont have a clue what you are talking about." So in normal human words i say," Look at that OLD CAR". So she goes Ahh..Thats it..(Statuary Warning:Women and classic cars dont mix)

Anyways, I go to the Shed/Garage that these pontons, Not one but two are standing and then a little further, I spot a Beetle Convertible. I know that this is a big catch and hurriedly ask the guy there if i can take pictures. He gives me his permission and i snap away to glory. I wander around the garage for a few minuites and notice that this fellow has ALOT of old junk lying around. Anyways Enough talking...Look at the few pictures i Took.

P.S.-These cars are not for sale.

Ah there u go again detective. These cars are owned by a dear friend and collector. He has a host of cars and most of them are in great shape.

Hey! Great find cyrus! I guess this adds one more convertble bug to the list. OR was it included when Dr karl took a census??:D

Nice pics. Cy!
That beetle conv. looks like an early ('50s) model?

@Gogi, Does he also own a Willys, probably a low bonnet and a Austin or something that looks similar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA (Post 825402)
@Gogi, Does he also own a Willys, probably a low bonnet and a Austin or something that looks similar?

Yes Cyrus, he does. And a lot of other goodies too. He is a regular now since the last few years of the VCCCi rally. Had to convince him to get his cars out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 825254)
Hey! Great find cyrus! I guess this adds one more convertble bug to the list. OR was it included when Dr karl took a census??:D

Hehe, nope I dont recognise this one at the moment. One more to the list:)

So What is the final count of Beetle Cabrios at the moment??

Which thread had the vert pics? I looked briefly but did not find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Convertible (Post 828316)
Which thread had the vert pics? I looked briefly but did not find it.

Here it is.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/767346-post15.html

What about Speedy's car? The blue one if i remember correctly. And the Orange and Black one in Pune??

Quote:

Originally Posted by gta (Post 828349)
What about Speedy's car? The blue one if i remember correctly. And the Orange and Black one in Pune??

What about them? They arent cabrios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 828258)
Hehe, nope I dont recognise this one at the moment. One more to the list:)

My mistake, the Beetle is indeed the same yellow and white cabrio from the list earlier being restored.

Had come across this Beetle a couple of years ago on Marine Drive. The car was very clean and very well maintained. It had a soft top. The building also had an old Merc lying unused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 866151)
Had come across this Beetle a couple of years ago on Marine Drive. The car was very clean and very well maintained. It had a soft top. The building also had an old Merc lying unused.

Thats a neat looking euro spec 58-62 Bug, still in the correct colour combo (look at the wheels). A genuine RHD rag top is quite rare in India. Got any more pics?