Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 20:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow is this Landmaster still plying as a taxi? Where? Last I saw one plying in Panchgani, with a Mark 2 grille. It had an MTL regn I think.
No Karl its right here at Nagpur regn no.MHG 99. I saw it and it has the Amby OHV petrol engine fitted to it. The meters are original. The steering is of the Amby Nova while the tail light is of the Matador (old model).The front grille headlight covers (has new clear lens glass) and parking lights are of a Mark 3.
Old 9th September 2008, 22:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is the Lucas, Made in England headlight seal beam that I bought at Kolkata. The beam reflector and glass are dull. So I've decided to fit this only during a rally and otherwise use my proven Lumax sealbeam for normal usage. The other headlight fitted as I've said, is the original Lucas, Made in England make.
Attachment 47268

Attachment 47269
Oh i didn't see this post early.

It's a Lucas 700 headlamp unit as i can see it in the second picture. The Made in England light is not available here but i have seen Indian made Lucas 700 beam on many Bullets. The lens pattern is also same.
Old 9th September 2008, 22:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Oh i didn't see this post early.

It's a Lucas 700 headlamp unit as i can see it in the second picture. The Made in England light is not available here but i have seen Indian made Lucas 700 beam on many Bullets. The lens pattern is also same.
I saw many many sealbeams of Ambys in the Kolkata market. Many were Lumax, some were Autopal, some were made by Lucas, India ( some of which had foreign glass written at their bottom). The latter were the best in appearence and quality. But out of the blue I found this made in England , "angrezi" piece of history and was ready to go for the kill!
Old 9th September 2013, 01:36   #19
BHPian

Re: 1955 Landmaster Advice Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Anup the 1955 models did'nt have semaphores. These came in later by 1956-57.Yes, these are too delicate to maintain.I have changed the electric fuel pump which is still in working condition. Now have fitted the Contessa's electronic fuel pump. That works beautifully.
even the old dynamo is not very practical these days. So I've got fitted an alternator which is quite effective.
Attachment 47267
This 1956 Landmaster taxi too does'nt have semaphores. So it was only in late 1956 or early 1957 that these were introduced to be carried over to the new Amby Mark I
Correction - The semaphore arms were part of the early fifties era and were there from the 1949 Hindustan 14 itself and continued till the 1960/61 Ambassador when the blinkers replaced them (though blinkers came as a standard fitment in the Standard ten of 1955 itself). Also I know this for certain since my 1955 Landmaster had them.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Correction - The semaphore arms were part of the early fifties era and were there from the 1949 Hindustan 14 itself and continued till the 1960/61 Ambassador when the blinkers replaced them (though blinkers came as a standard fitment in the Standard ten of 1955 itself). Also I know this for certain since my 1955 Landmaster had them.
A garagewalla had a pair that he had received in a trade for an old self. There were no marking, they were old but my gosh, the price he was asking was 6k for both.

I did not go for them, seeing semaphores on a car here is asking for trouble. The number of sideswipes from bicycles, people, rickshaws, and other vehicles are insane.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:23   #21
P76
BHPian

This discussion about the Lucas headlamps sparked my interest I had in my childhood days. Browsed the web and was surprised to see this in Ebay UK - )http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/lucas-700-headlamp) . Indian made Lucas-TVS headlamps in ebay uk .
The Indian made headlamps were the standard fitment for Ambassadors, Padminis, Mahindra jeeps, Enfield bullets, Ashok Leyland trucks, Fargo trucks etc, etc. They are still available, but I think they have Lucas-TVS letters embossed on the glass.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
... Also I know this for certain since my 1955 Landmaster had them.
Ditto!
I too know this for certain as our 1955 Landmaster had them!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks