Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 12:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jehan,

My two bits:

If you use the car regularly even Mumbai's sea weather will not affect it. But if
you really want to avoid this then maybe a good idea to keep the car in Lonavala or New Mumbai to avoid rust. I would just enjoy it if I were you and not bother it it rust you can always get it fixed better yet get the body rust protected as per todays manufacturing processes (dipping process) I am sure Mr. Ratan Tata may help he recently restored a complete Tata Estate (factory paint!)for one of my relatives for free. I am sure a national treasure will get him moving ...I can help if you like.

I have seen to many cars lying half restored so be very careful who you give it to should you want to do it locally in Mumbai or else where. Last I saw this car was in Autocar with some mordern square yellow fog lights with black housing get trid of them Cheers
Old 21st November 2008, 13:15   #17
BHPian

Free Paintjob? Why not! Foglights stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I am sure Mr. Ratan Tata may help he recently restored a complete Tata Estate (factory paint!)for one of my relatives for free. I am sure a national treasure will get him moving ...I can help if you like.
That would be lovely. It would help me offset a lot of the costs and then I could focus my resources on the drivetrain, engine, and interiors.

Quote:
I have seen to many cars lying half restored so be very careful who you give it to should you want to do it locally in Mumbai or else where.
Thats why I'm looking for reccomendations of the best Mechanics and garages, who have the time inclination and desire to do this right. Without any short cuts.

Quote:
Last I saw this car was in Autocar with some mordern square yellow fog lights with black housing get trid of them Cheers
Sorry, but that won't happen. Those foglights were much needed in Coonoor where we used to drive up the ghat during the monsoons and foggy season its what made sure this sunbeam is still there today and not a wreck down a hillside somewhere. Until about 10 years ago it was picking up sam from the airport on a regular basis. That was a 300 KM run three times a month. Plus. I'm restoring the car to original as Sam would have it. That was with foglights. For the diehard purists out there, sorry!

Please do let me know if you have people I should phone in Bombay.

Jehan.
Old 21st November 2008, 17:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jehan it is nice to know that you are interested in restoreing your Grand fathers car. I had the privilage of meeting him while i studied in Lawrence school (Lovedale). I had once seen the car as well dureing our Horse riding training at Wellington.
This indeed would be an honour to help you out in any way.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

I urge you to but period fogs with chrome hosuing a nice pair of round large ones would lookreally nice a classic sporty it is a coupe after all.
Old 22nd November 2008, 18:11   #20
BHPian

I have a buddy in Mysore that happens to be a darned good vintage car mechanic. He could take a look at the car, and if it needs cleaning up, he could bring the car to Mysore and do it.

Please let me know if you want his details. I am getting some time off in December and would not mind popping into Coonoor with him and take a dekko.

Cheers
Old 5th March 2009, 11:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

So Jehan, any progress on the car? Do keep us updated.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:33   #22
BHPian

Karlos,

None I'm afraid. I'm in touch with CS Ananth from here, who is trying to accomodate my restoration needs, down in Chennai, he has a great outfit there, which my brother came to see and was very impressed with. However, for various reasons out of our control, discussions will take time so as soon as we know anything, I'll let you know.

Once restoration starts, you can be sure I will journal about it and let you all keep track of the story of it coming back to life.

In the mean while, I do have pictures of the car (taken recently, but when it was at the mechanics getting its front brakes repaired) from which you can have a general good sense of the condition. They're all up on picassa, but I don't think I'm allowed to post outside picture links here.

am i?

Jehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So Jehan, any progress on the car? Do keep us updated.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:31   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehan-Sam View Post
....They're all up on picassa, but I don't think I'm allowed to post outside picture links here.

am i?
Jehan,

Upload a few images on to Team-BHP and then post a link to your picasa album for the rest.

(You are not allowed to hot-link images from other sites here)

cya
R
Old 5th March 2009, 14:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos,

None I'm afraid. I'm in touch with CS Ananth from here, who is trying to accomodate my restoration needs, down in Chennai, he has a great outfit there, which my brother came to see and was very impressed with. However, for various reasons out of our control, discussions will take time so as soon as we know anything, I'll let you know.

Once restoration starts, you can be sure I will journal about it and let you all keep track of the story of it coming back to life.

In the mean while, I do have pictures of the car (taken recently, but when it was at the mechanics getting its front brakes repaired) from which you can have a general good sense of the condition. They're all up on picassa, but I don't think I'm allowed to post outside picture links here.

am i?

Jehan
Jehan,

Great that you have gotten the ball rolling. Mr. Ananth does have an enviable set of cars no doubt. Im especially fond of his Herald and Vanguard wagon.

Looking forward to the pictures. As Rehaan said, put up a couple and then give us the link. The process is described here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

If we can be of any assistance whatsoever, do not hesitate to ask.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sam Bahadur’s car & motorcycle

I came across these links pertaining to Sam Maneckshaw's Sunbeam and a James Motorcycle he once owned. Also a nice photo by Hormazd Sorabjee

Sunbeam Rapier
Sam Bahadur and his Sunbeam An alien’s thoughts about our planet
The Motorcycle Diaries (Part 3) - Sam Bahadur’s motorcycle An alien’s thoughts about our planet

The motorcycle article was part of an article written by an old friend of Sam Bahadur, Ardeshir Cowasjee, taken from the website of the Pakistani newspaper Dawn. DAWN - Cowasjee Corner; July 06, 2008
Old 6th March 2009, 08:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, this is great. I have a 45 minute lecture on leadership delivered by Field Marshal Sam Maneckshaw. I listen to it at least once a week. It is great to have Jehan on the forum. Welcome.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st June 2009, 10:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
I have a buddy in Mysore that happens to be a darned good vintage car mechanic. He could take a look at the car, and if it needs cleaning up, he could bring the car to Mysore and do it.

Please let me know if you want his details. I am getting some time off in December and would not mind popping into Coonoor with him and take a dekko.

Cheers
Boeuff,

Maybe its time to talk to you and your mechanic in Mysore? We had a visit from a mechanic in Chennai, whom I was really hoping would be able to do it, but Mr. Ananth seems to have stepped back a bit from anything due to health reasons of his own.

We're in no hurry, but we'd like to do this right. Does your Mysore mechanic come with any reccomendations, or any idea how I can judge his work? From your own restoration jobs? or others you know of?

Jehan.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

No sweat Jehan, let this take its time. This is a no compromise job, with no deadline. Unless you are completely satisfied and at ease with the setup, there is no point.

Quote:
So when do we get to see the pictures? Do share a couple and the Picasa link.

Here are instructions to upload pictures to the forum.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
No sweat Jehan, let this take its time. This is a no compromise job, with no deadline. Unless you are completely satisfied and at ease with the setup, there is no point.

So when do we get to see the pictures? Do share a couple and the Picasa link.

Here are instructions to upload pictures to the forum.
Karlos,

Sunbeam Rapier Series 1 - Advice on Restoring and Maintaining-l1000278.jpg
There's one.
There are a whole bunch at
Picasa Web Albums - Jehan - Sunbeam Rapier photo's of all parts of car in great detail.

Karlos,

I am patient about this, but I don't want to be TOO patient either. So now Chennai was close with Mr. Ananth, my brother went to his garage and was well impressed by the quality of detailing and attention.
I'm looking for trustworthy people in Mysore/Bangalore/Chennai/Coimbatore - people who would be able to give the same attention to detail as my grandfather did...Any thoughts?

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2009 at 19:05. Reason: In the future please follow the picture hosting instructions in the link that Karl has provided for you.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:26   #30
BHPian

Hello Jehan,

I apologise if i seem to be intervening on beouf's offer, but i am currently restoring a Merc 240D and a morris minor tourer , in Mysore.

Do let me know if i can be of any help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks