Old 6th April 2009, 20:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Nice

Is that what you call a mini bullet?
Old 6th April 2009, 21:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
That's a really beautiful bike you've got there!
How frequently do you ride? And more to the point, which mechanic do you trust with her?
These 2 stroke RE bikes were very sturdy and have 0 maintainence once you start loving them, except for a few regular do and dont's. i often visit India so she just fires in a few kicks. Right from 69 she has been looked after just 1 boy friend of hers (Mistry)

No mate,

This aint a Mini, this is a late 60's Sherpa 175cc (classic gear box with villiers engine) , then came the Crusader of the 70's 175cc(regular gear box with villiers engine), Mini 80's 200cc

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 22:00. Reason: Back to back post, muli quote
Old 6th April 2009, 22:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Very nice bike! Congrats,buddy!
Just a bit of TLC,and the bike should look pristine!
Old 6th April 2009, 23:04   #34
BHPian

Its a nice bike, congrats. can someone post some history about Enfield India's tie-up with villers? and why they discontinued that tie-up after early 80s?
Old 7th April 2009, 05:08   #35
BHPian

Woow am seeing this baby for the first time from the RE Stable. Gurus kindly bring out the history of this baby so we humble guys can know more about this baby.

Cheers!!!
Old 7th April 2009, 14:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have never seen this model too.
Was this exclusivly produced for Indian Market?
Old 7th April 2009, 14:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
These 2 stroke RE bikes were very sturdy and have 0 maintainence once you start loving them, except for a few regular do and dont's. i often visit India so she just fires in a few kicks. Right from 69 she has been looked after just 1 boy friend of hers (Mistry)
Come to think of it, at Mario's garage opposite Bandra Reclamation Bus Depot, I've seen a really small/old bull. This one had no rear shock absorbers at all, and was a single seater. I think it may have been one of those bikes that the British dropped paratroopers out of aircrafts with. Its in horrible condition, will try to get some snaps soon.

Cheers,
Old 7th April 2009, 15:05   #38
BANNED

Correct me if i am wrong.

But wasnt this called the crusader? which came with the Villiers Engine. The sherpa wasnt a Villiers.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Come to think of it, at Mario's garage opposite Bandra Reclamation Bus Depot, I've seen a really small/old bull. This one had no rear shock absorbers at all, and was a single seater. I think it may have been one of those bikes that the British dropped paratroopers out of aircrafts with. Its in horrible condition, will try to get some snaps soon.

Cheers,
Yes it was called Fying Flea a 125cc used during the World War II, it used to come with a Parachute and its packing cage. I will try to find out some more pics on the cage.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Correct me if i am wrong.

But wasnt this called the crusader? which came with the Villiers Engine. The sherpa wasnt a Villiers.

Sherpa has Villiers engine with a classic style gear box (std 350cc type) whereas the Crusader had a Villiers engine with a regular gearbox

Silencer - Sherpa left side, Crusader - Right side

Sherpa never came with a company fitted horn
Old 7th April 2009, 15:36   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Sherpa has Villiers engine with a classic style gear box (std 350cc type) whereas the Crusader had a Villiers engine with a regular gearbox
Oh great, thanks for that. Now i know Was always confused between the Sherpa and the Crusader.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Excellent bike, lucky you.

A bit of chrome work and it would be as good as new.
Quote:
Hi

I am a proud owner of this little one from the RE Family.

I am posting a few pictures of my Sherpa a.k.a Chotu as a treat for all the Royal Enfield fans. I also have a 1966 and a 1977 Bull however i am not in India at the moment and miss them a lot.

The best sound to my years is Tuk, Tuk, Tuk, Tuk

Ride Safe friends
Old 7th April 2009, 16:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Excellent bike, lucky you.

A bit of chrome work and it would be as good as new.

Yes i agree, the first thing i will be doing when i come to Mumbai
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
(Continued) Again, I want to reiterate that Im not sure about your Sherpa since you say the model is 1969. I always thought these were made in the 70s. I think EI came into being in 1969-1970. The experts can clear this one for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Never heard of a Sherpa from Enfield before - guess we learn new things every day!

I always thought the Crusader was the Villiers bike made by EI. Maybe this is a predecessor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
82 rawath Lovely example of a Sherpa.The speedo is the same (Yenkay) as the Vespa 150 (made by Bajaj Auto) and also the Rajdoot 175. Only a few Sherpas survive perhaps, till today.The Sherpa was preceded by the Royal Enfield Ensign that was sold alongwith the Bullet till the early 1960's. Soon the Sherpa came along and may have been in vogue till say 1971-72, I believe.In 1972, the Enfield Crusader came along which also had the Villiers 175 cc engine. The Crusader was replaced by the Enfield 200 (available in a two tone coloured petrol tank) sometime in 1978,that was later in the early 1980's called the Mini-Bullet only to prop up sales. None of the 175 cc or 200 cc Enfield's sold well, but for the Ensign, that had very little competition in the late 1950's in its class. The Rajdoot and Jawa were yet to be launched then.
Actually between Ensign & Sherpa there was another 150 cc (1.5 HP) model called Prince. Sherpa came along in 1967-68 if I m not mistaken. Prince was there from 1964 to 67/68.

Those little bikes were really great (may be for 7 year old the bike looked great LOL)

Take Care & Ride safe

Ram
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:54   #45
BHPian

My dad's second bike, the Sherpa, which he bought in 1977 was 1968 model. He bought it for about three thousand and sold for 4,100 Rs in 1980, moving to a Rajdoot. He still has the Sherpa's original Owner's manual as well as the Service Manual. It was almost a no-problem bike for him, except the mileage, which was around 16. The parts were a problem sometime, but he used to procure from Chennai / Coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks