Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 17:10   #1
BHPian

My 1963 Saab 96

Thought I might share the story of my 1963 Saab 96 restoration. Bought her a few years ago and had her running a while ago. Engine troubles again which are now being sorted out. She is a 3 cylinder 2 stroker and sounds awesome! Know any other Saabs in the country? Or any other Saab 96s? I am looking for some parts. Here's how she looked when I got her and the way she looks now. Well... there seems to be a problem in uploading the new photo. Here's the old one - will upload the new one as soon as I figure out how to.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 Saab 96-img_2720.jpg  

Old 16th March 2009, 17:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter View Post
Thought I might share the story of my 1963 Saab 96 restoration. Bought her a few years ago and had her running a while ago. Engine troubles again which are now being sorted out. She is a 3 cylinder 2 stroker and sounds awesome! Know any other Saabs in the country? Or any other Saab 96s? I am looking for some parts. Here's how she looked when I got her and the way she looks now. Well... there seems to be a problem in uploading the new photo. Here's the old one - will upload the new one as soon as I figure out how to.
Welcome aboard. My complements on owning and restoring such a unique little car.

Incidentally your Saab was also spotted earlier by another member, discussed here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ng-impala.html

Go through this link for help with photos.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Old 16th March 2009, 18:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Basically very few Saab's came to India.
One shown by Karl came from Gujrat, work done on it at the college. There was an identical one lying in Naaz Cinema compound, I believe it went to Chor Bazar. Whether it was broken up or anyone bought it I do not know. Both these cars were red in colour.
It will be nice if drifter can tell us where is car came from. The colour scheme is a matter of taste, but please give some details.
There was another much later Saab of the late 1980's in Mumbai, it was silver and belonged to a friends relative. Soon he was cribbing about lack of spares & service, shortly thereafter she disappeared.
So far 3 Saabs, now lets hear about this one. I am sure that there must have been some in Delhi or so.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:16   #4
BHPian

This one came from Gujarat. I haven't heard of any other old Saabs yet - would love to know. Am rebuilding the engine now - she should be up & running in some time (hopefully).
Old 17th March 2009, 00:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

The 3 saabs you are talking about are vintage models or do they include recent imports too.There two more modern saabs in mumbai.Like the unique styling of the saabs.

@4wdrifter: very nice piece of work.Love the colour!
Old 17th March 2009, 00:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to you,for your restoration. Do post more pictures of the car.Truely a rare find.
Old 17th March 2009, 01:36   #7
BHPian

Very exciting to see that you possess one of these 4wdrifter. My compliments too. Lovely car, very successful rally car of her day, but you'd know all that, so I'll refrain from repeating it. She should be quite simple to maintain as these were fairly basic designs, which also made them so reliable. In any case, parts overseas are definitely not so thin on the ground, and much easier to source now thanks to the www. There used to be a very nice example in Delhi that I last saw in the mid or late 90s - sharp white in colour, and probably red upholstery - rather original car. Used to be in the Safdarjung area. I clearly remember the owner telling me that he had overhauled her partially with rings from some common generator. She was ticking over quite nicely, so maybe you have one usable 'jugaad' there.

Of the later models, there was a rather tatty silver 900 turbo, but being a Saab 900 turbo was so eminently desirable nonetheless, in Delhi for sometime - maybe still is. Was available five years back for about 45K and I definitely wanted her in my garage, having had loads of fun with them overseas (with my version of the Scandinavian drift!) on salted roads, etc, but suspect documents put paid to the adrenaline's diktat. Those alloys (alongwith the rest of the SPG kit) were to die for. Okay, there also was a yellow 9000 turbo with the Airports Authority at Safdarjung Airport for testing runways. Haven't seen her after 2000, might still be around. There was also a sweet metallic grey 900 turbo auctioned by STC in the mid 90s, which probably went to Madras. Just adore the cockpit-style fascia design and the ergonomics of the Saab of the period. In fact, although the Volvo was quite stodgy while the Saab was sporty, I'm very fond of both the Swedes.

And here's a bit of trivia. May I be indulged a bit of the Off Topic ranting here? And hopefully folks will enjoy it.

Saab's India connection goes beyond the Saab car!

Saab has also had a superb aviation business and India wanted to buy the Saab 37 Viggen aircraft in the late 70s. But the US strong-armed Sweden into not to selling it to us. So we bought the Jags instead.

Saab also made trucks with Scania before the group was split up. The Indian Army bought a few Saab Scania trucks. And what did they pull? Something made by Saab Bofors - the Bofors guns!
Old 17th March 2009, 08:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum - so, finally you are here.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th March 2009, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

There was a used motorbike parts dealer in Hyderabad clled Ghansham in the old city who had an identical car. Don't remember the colour but it was definitely a three cylinder two stroker.

I distinctly remember it had three individual ignition coils, one for each cylinder.

I wonder if this car has survived.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:03   #10

Both the above are the same car????!!!! If so, Thank god for the person who painted it red!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 17th March 2009 at 14:04.
Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2009, 14:07   #11
BHPian

Wlecome aboard. Your SAAB is beautiful. Would love to see it in full glory.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Very exciting to see that you possess one of these 4wdrifter. My compliments too. Lovely car, very successful rally car of her day, but you'd know all that, so I'll refrain from repeating it. She should be quite simple to maintain as these were fairly basic designs,
Wow Prabal! That's quite a history of Saabs. I did not know about the other deals but I had heard of this Saab at the airport. Yes, this Saab had a glorious rally history winning with none other than our Simo Lampinen. I would have posted pictures but all my images are high res. Unfortunately this forum does not have any help posted for Mac users. Will figure it our anyways and post some soon. I painted her red and she was running for some time till she lost compression. Hopefully the problem will be fixed now that I have new piston rings. Bombay weather's taking its toll on her though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Welcome to the forum - so, finally you are here.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
yes Behram, finally. Will put up my bikes soon too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There was a used motorbike parts dealer in Hyderabad clled Ghansham in the old city who had an identical car. Don't remember the colour but it was definitely a three cylinder two stroker.

I distinctly remember it had three individual ignition coils, one for each cylinder.

I wonder if this car has survived.
Wow! That would have been nice - mine came standard though - one coil, one carb. Will put in 3 as soon as I have her running first! I am quite excited but keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2009 at 18:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:38   #13
BHPian

Here are some before & after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1963 Saab 96-img_2726.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_2729.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_2730.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_3125.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_3120.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_4112.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_2711.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_4106.jpg  

My 1963 Saab 96-img_4761_2.jpg  

4wdrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 17:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

A Vintage car from SAAB.I never would have guessed.
Thought must have been a Oldsmobile or an Austin.
I have never seen a SAAB in any Vintage Rally
Old 18th March 2009, 17:56   #15
BHPian

Yes, Hillram, neither have I. Some members have posted about similar or same Saabs they have seen but whereabouts not known. I would love to know if any others exist.

Most Viewed