Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 16:53   #1
BHPian

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc

I have bought a 1968 model of Pearl yamaha.
I am attaching some photos of the same. if any team bhpian has any information regarding the technical know-how pm me.
Attached Thumbnails
my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02400.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02401.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02404.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02405.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02407.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02408.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02415.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02416.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-dsc02418.jpg  

veldeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2009, 17:43   #2
BHPian

Thats a beauty you have got there! Never seen one or heard about it either. If you dont mind, could you tell how much did it cost you? Is it still on original paint?
Old 10th April 2009, 18:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Thats a beauty you have got there! Never seen one or heard about it either. If you dont mind, could you tell how much did it cost you? Is it still on original paint?
Hey sagar, nice to see you drive by here!

You'll get to see/hear more of this bike, if you frequent this section more often!

Check out this thread with more info. on the Pearl Yamaha:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1137250
Old 10th April 2009, 18:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
I am attaching some photos of the same. if any team bhpian has any information regarding the technical know-how pm me.
PM Trammway he restored one of the same model pearl yamaha few months back
Old 10th April 2009, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very nice!
Did this in any way inspire the Bajaj M80 ?
Old 10th April 2009, 21:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Very nice!
Did this in any way inspire the Bajaj M80 ?
no it was inspired by the honda cub?? which is a design classic in itself.

Last edited by the mole : 10th April 2009 at 21:06.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

veldeep congratulations on your new purchase.Looks to be in a fairly original condition.The speedo, control switches all appear to be original.The paint scheme is planted and not the original. It used to come in a sea green and grey and black and grey colour scheme (two tone since 1969 perhaps). Prior to 1969, it was available in the sea green solo colour. I do not remember other colours which my fellow bhpians may please enlighten. I have also posted some pictures of a fairly original Pearl Yamaha in the Nagpur Vintage and Classic Car and Bike Rally thread very recently here.
Old 11th April 2009, 00:30   #8
BHPian

Congrats Man. Thats is a real nice bike you got there just get the paint redone for a real good finish.

Cheers!!!
Old 11th April 2009, 14:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am attaching some photos of the same.
Congratulations sir, another fine addition to a fine collection
Old 27th March 2012, 22:17   #10
BHPian

Re: my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc

Quote:
I have bought a 1968 model of Pearl Yamaha.
Belated wishes...as this thread has been started at 2009
As your Pearl Yamaha is 1968, if it was basic Blue color scheme one, then it was suppose to be " torquiose Blue" & a white something like present ICI's francois White
And side boxes will be "Chrome plated" in the stock bikes!!
* the front badge will be a Aluminum badge eithched " PEARL
YAMAHA",
the one seen in your bike is simply Yamaha , may be redone by the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
no it was inspired by the honda cub?? which is a design classic in itself.

Nice to hear from Mole...hm!!! concentrating on TW0 wheels to
yah!! might be..Yamaha would have been inspired by the Honda Cubs, but if you observe the main elements of these V50, V75.V80 Yamaha s & Honda Cubs......Basically Honda Cubs are 4 stroke mills & Yamaha V series are Two stroke power trains.
Even there is miles of difference in Frame geometry to..
If you notice the front Suspension of Yamaha V50, V75 ( Pearl Yamaha here>) , this is the only bike to my knowledge to have both the sides of leading fork suspension is linked by a " Stabilizer bar" ( just by seeing pics ,we'll think the bottom rod joining left to right fork bottom ends as Mudguard stays)
That was the trick, even with such a short wheel base & leading link front suspension, this was most stable bike to handle in high speeds!!
Unfortunately, the Two stroke restrictions world wide , brought natural death to these wonder machines globally .
As usual government Industrial policy & back door poking by the rival players..made m/s Pearl Industries .Punjab .to shut down the doors at end of '70s or early '80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
veldeep congratulations on your new purchase.Looks to be in a fairly original condition.The speedo, control switches all appear to be original.The paint scheme is planted and not the original. It used to come in a sea green and grey and black and grey colour scheme (two tone since 1969 perhaps). Prior to 1969, it was available in the sea green solo colour. I do not remember other colours which my fellow bhpians may please enlighten. I have also posted some pictures of a fairly original Pearl Yamaha in the Nagpur Vintage and Classic Car and Bike Rally thread very recently here.
Anjan Ji,
you told>>"two tone since 1969 perhaps). Prior to 1969, it was available in the sea green solo color. "
No Ji, never Pearl Yamaha s came in single color Scheme even ( but 'am not sure about other V types manufactured and market out side India)
Always Dual tone color scheme only!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations sir, another fine addition to a fine collection
Karl, even you can congratulate me..as I have Pearl Yamaha 75cc (1968), 100% stock..yet to be restored though!!
Me, proud to have all the Three best Yamaha s came to India, namely
1) Pearl yamaha-1968
2) RD 350 HT---1984
& 3) RX 100 ---- 1987
Except RD , others are with stock paint!!

@ All: Two pics are re posted to show the front stabilizer bar & the front badge.. of P.Yamaha
Attached Thumbnails
my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-peral-front-suspension.jpg  

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-pearl-yamaha-logo.jpg  

Old 31st March 2012, 20:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Anjan Ji,
you told>>"two tone since 1969 perhaps). Prior to 1969, it was available in the sea green solo color. "
No Ji, never Pearl Yamaha s came in single color Scheme even ( but 'am not sure about other V types manufactured and market out side India)
Always Dual tone color scheme only!!
I beg to disagree powertwin.The dual tone means the side panels and the front leg guard were in the second colour. But the earlier models were only in a single colour scheme.I have no doubt at all about this assertion.
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I beg to disagree powertwin.The dual tone means the side panels and the front leg guard were in the second color. But the earlier models were only in a single color scheme.I have no doubt at all about this assertion.
Anjan Ji,, you always need concrete evidence ( ref: Fatabulus time line debate)
You have told>>"... dual tone means the side panels and the front leg guard were in the second color."
Before citing few reference books[YAMAHA- by Collin Mackellar) about YAMAHA Two-Strokes from 1955-1993" is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Tons of history, facts, and interesting stories. It's also a great bookshelf reference. ./
Would kike to post few Similar disc valve breathed 2 stroke Yamaha pics, which were the real genre for our own Indian Pearl Hondas
1)Yamaha U5D-1962

2)The one came along 1964 Fj-2

3) A customized P.Yamaha equivalent ( with Rifle holder & other utility stuff>

(note :it is w/o leg Shields, as it is modded )
* On your perception, DUAL tone means..."leg shields & side doors have a different color(white) and rest of the portion will have the main color ( either Green,Blue,etc...)
Even, taken by your words it is " Dual Tone", as the leg shields was always white, because it was a " Polypropylene" , would also want to remind you at early '60 s, there was not much PP color pigments existed to get the components PP products colored ( just black, white & Blue tone was available and results was also not consistent.
** Now, just want to clarify, what kind of Painting schemes was under practice in P.Yamaha s was..
this pics will help us a bit to understand my point>>
1a)
2a)
( In the above P.Yamaha , just ignore the painted fabricated Leg shield)

Apart from the White color Leg shield,front Mudguard(2a) & Rear swing(1a) arm was White , rest of the major portions was either sea green, torquise Blue!!
Will PM you the contact info of a very experienced Automobile journalist, whose family was in P.yamaha trading at mid '60s, he can through some light fo this COLORFUL debate !!
PS: I was also told, that on those hey days of Pearl yamaha, our over cautious Indian consumers, would prefer for a metal Leg shield, rather than the plastics, so naturally they prefer body color for that also.
Even a After market ready made " metal shields" was available it seems
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 23:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As I couldnt find another thread on this bike, I decided to post this pic. here rather than creating a new thread- a Pearl Yamaha I spotted today! outside a 2-wheeler workshop.

Appears to be a runner- still in original paint?

Front numberplate conveniently removed for team bhp posting!

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-pearl.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 12th September 2012 at 23:52.
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Obscure Vintage & Classic Scooters in India

A late 'Sixties Yamaha, quite likely owned by BHPian Veldeep, as it is parked in the same place as his 1949 Skoda, BYF 8322.my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-wp_20141212_010.jpg
my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-wp_20141212_006.jpg

MHI would be Poona, circa 1971.

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-wp_20141212_005.jpg

Look ma! Very low mileage!
my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-mhi-2366-veldeep-yamaha.jpg

The Made-In-Japan speedo unit. Note, that it is only marked upto 9999km, that is, 10,000 kilometers. Strange, innit?

So, do we conclude that, in the era of two strokes, engine life used to be much shorter? The frequent decabonizations and gasket changes, along with changing of oil rings and pistons, certainly points to this.

As an aside, attaching a pic of BYF 8322, Veldeep's Skoda. Haven't seen it parked in its usual place for nearly a week. Wonder where is it.

my new acquisition pearl yamaha 75 cc-byf-8322.jpg

Credits to the pic- Karlos the Devil.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 17th December 2014 at 23:21.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed