Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 00:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow... something interesting. I think the bike has undergone many changes, the silencer is another mistery which needs to be solved.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:30   #17
ozy

@sankar: thanks, im not near the bike at the moment, ill check it in a few days when i go home.

the sillencer? yeah, there is a piece missing at the tail end that should cover the 4 pipes at the end. havent looked into it yet.

ok, ill be back in a few days with the engine code, thanks a lot for your help lads!
Old 4th May 2009, 11:39   #18
BHPian

Aha! Your bike is one of the B-1 s then. Mine's a G-2, that's how the mechanics around here classify them. If i'm not mistaken, the B-1 series is late 60's. Yes, alot can be determined frim the engine & chassis numbers. I wonder where all those old records are. If only we could find them, am almost certain I'd know when my bike was built and by whom.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have identified the carburater as Villiers RE Carburater. The same has also came in the early Royal Enfield Crusaders. Accidently yesterday I noticed the box came with my recent Crusader purchase, which had the same carburater that suppose to be the original one came with my bike.
Old 4th May 2009, 21:30   #20
ozy

@72 bullet, whats a b1 and g2 etc?

engine code (finally) : 144517/yy
i think, the stamp was poor. i think there are 2 "y"s after the "/" but they are not in a line and the 1st "y" seems lighter.

does this help any further folks?
Old 10th May 2009, 22:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here is the carb in reference to my previous post.

In the below picture you will notice a tube coming out of the bottom bowl of the carb is not origina. This is a local idea to use the older bikes with dual fuel concept. They used this trick to start the bike in petrol and run them on kerosene.

"irish" royal enfield 350 bullet-image014.jpg

"irish" royal enfield 350 bullet-image016.jpg

"irish" royal enfield 350 bullet-image015.jpg
Old 1st October 2009, 18:51   #22

Hi Ozy.

I have a 72 Bullet that I bought and rode in Nepal, and now have in Donegal. I used it around Dubliin for a few years too. Its off the road at the minute. I am delighted to see someone else with a very unusual "year" of bike in Ireland, as most Bullets in Ireland are pre1970 or post 1990. Mine has the valanced mudguards front and rear, and has a few modifications carried out over the years. I will post a few pics and details after the weekend.
All the best
G
Old 5th October 2009, 11:09   #23
ozy

hey man
i nearly forgot about this thread as the enfield has been put on hold. other cars have taken a priority!
also, they guy we had lined up to at least get her going has been booked up with more pressing jobs, so dont wanna touch her aesthetics until it works

that would be great to see some of your pics!

thanks man!
Old 29th June 2010, 14:31   #24
BHPian

The Enfield shown in the picture is definitely of Indian Origin. The mudguards are not handmade in this instance as it was changed sometime in between 1969 to 1972 to deep drawn single piece construction. The petrol tanks however were hand made and of the logo Enfield India on the tank kneepads, the word "India" is missing. The rear mudguard stays are similar to the ones fitted onto the bikes supplied to the Indian Army, also similarly the locking provision on the side boxes. The engine number is written horizontally below the lowest third aluminium fin below the bore (of the engines totally manufactured in India). The Carburettor is the Villiers S25 which was fitted to bikes manufactured during and after 1968, prior to which Amal Monoblocs(1.1/8") were fitted. My second Enfield Bullet was a 1976 model and if I remember right the engine number was 160249 and had the same type of carburettor, did not have the oil pressure relief valve and also the breather pipe did not have the triangular piece, both of which were there on my first Royal Enfield Bullet which was an Indian Army surplus disposal, and also on my third Royal Enfield Bullet of 1968 manufacture. I should be able to give you the engine number and chassis numbers of my third bullet if I am required to search amongst my old copies of documents. I have stripped completely my third Bullet and rebuilt it at home so I do not think you should have any difficulty in doing it at home !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks