Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 23:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964.

I searched for the VESPA thread but was unable to find one, hence this attempt.

I was brought up on VESPA & hence it carries the admiration, awe & respect. My dad used to have a 1964 vespa on which me & my brother used to travel with my youngest brother on the nature made child seat my amma's lap, me standing on the footboard, staring at the small red bulb above the meter. It was an affair, gaining strength withstanding the ravages of technological advancement. Here is our official carrier now standing with pride .
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964.-flying-sparrow.jpg  

Old 18th July 2009, 02:03   #2
BHPian

Good to see one again even if it is a photo. And it looks good - it seems to have been maintained with a lot of care.
Old 19th July 2009, 10:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post

I was brought up on VESPA & hence it carries the admiration, awe & respect. My dad used to have a 1964 vespa on which me & my brother used to travel with my youngest brother on the nature made child seat my amma's lap, me standing on the footboard, staring at the small red bulb above the meter. It was an affair, gaining strength withstanding the ravages of technological advancement. Here is our official carrier now standing with pride .

wow what a beauty, awesome man.
Old 26th July 2009, 00:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manish!! for the appreciation. That is my younger brothers love, which he restrored it in mid 2004, he just got a job then. I remember he did all what it takes to get this beauty in this shape. Sitting the whole day with denter to get the exact shape, curves, borders ( he says that is what makes vespa a beauty) Boggled his mind for some 15 days surfing net, enquiring veterans for selecting the paint, got it painted on a pannel and then approved it for the scooter. It still has the original Italian carburattor Delorto/Deltrotto (sorry I don't remember the name exactly) milo meter, monogram, suspension (Vespa embossed) he has also has the orginal aluminium kick rod, tail lamp assembly, but didnt install as it may be damaged due to wear and tear. It is still his first LOVE. He is planning his next project on LAMBY 150 soon. I will post some more pictures of his LOVE soon.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Chanu..Lovely Vespa.I have a 63 model.
Please bring your Vespa for Display on Aug 15th for the DHAA Vintage Rally at Lumbini Park.You will enjoy the display.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Manish!! for the appreciation. It still has the original Italian carburattor Delorto/Deltrotto (sorry I don't remember the name exactly) milo meter, monogram, suspension (Vespa embossed) he has also has the orginal aluminium kick rod, tail lamp assembly, but didnt install as it may be damaged due to wear and tear.
Dellorto carburettors, yes thats the name, they were Itallian and i believe a lot of Itallian Automobiles including Fiat millicentos had them.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
@Chanu..Lovely Vespa.I have a 63 model.
Please bring your Vespa for Display on Aug 15th for the DHAA Vintage Rally at Lumbini Park.You will enjoy the display.
Ah!! thanks sir. I love to be there to see the metal wonders and meet all you awesome guys. I love that event but I miss out due to my office. Hope this time it works, thanks for the invitation, felt great.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks!! felt great seeing some italian beauties, wanted to share my joy with you guys...
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964.-5.jpg  

Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964.-1.jpg  

Old 25th September 2009, 18:42   #9

how many gears?

Quote:

Nice photo! I am curious to know, is it a 3 gear version or a 4 gear one?
Old 27th September 2009, 00:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Mr Iyer. " Welcome to the Forum". Yes it's a 3 geared scooter. I don't think vespa 150 have come with 4 gears with this kind of handle bar, I'm not sure if there were any exception (imported ones) later they became bajaj 150 then priya till then it was 3 geared only later versions of Bajaj i.e., cheatak, cub, super have come with 4 gears.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Mr Iyer. " Welcome to the Forum". Yes it's a 3 geared scooter. I don't think vespa 150 have come with 4 gears with this kind of handle bar, I'm not sure if there were any exception (imported ones) later they became bajaj 150 then priya till then it was 3 geared only later versions of Bajaj i.e., cheatak, cub, super have come with 4 gears.
Hey AFAIK Bajaj Cub was a 3 gear scooter.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh is it, thanks "gaddiwale". I remember there used to be a scooter from bajaj which was basically a chetak with a Bajaj super handle with ignition key mounted on the handle bar, indicators on the handle bar and the unique feature was it had the spare wheel fixed to the rear end of the scooter on which the tail lamp and the number plate was fixed, experts can you please throw some light on to this.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Colour shades for 64 vespa

I want to know from the gurus what were the original colour shades prevailed for vespas in 1960's and post then, were there any mettalic shades then. We are planning to give a new look for this beauty. I am also looking for WHITE WALL tyres a chrome rear view mirror and clue/lead in Hyd or else where would be of great help.

She was last painted in 2004, now its little dull but the colour inside the bonnet, trunk etc are as good as when it was painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk ITALIANO!! My vespa 1964.-flying20sparrow.jpg  

Old 17th March 2010, 13:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bala,next time when we meet,I shall show you the Vespa colours that came on original models.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:10   #15
BHPian

I missed this thread when it was created. Seeing the photos I pine for my father's Vespa purchased in 1969. It was acquired after moving up a waiting list !! Chocolate. It served us intially at Jabalpur and then shifted base to Calicut-Bangalore-Trichur. Father was getting irritated when the scooter got one of its spares replaced by a Bajaj spare ( it was pilferage as original part was working). He was in two minds to sell it off and suddenly a businessman pounced on him with ready cash. I think he sold it off for Rs. 5000 in 1979. He regretted his decision to sell, probably immediately and we all felt we have lost a member of the family.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks