Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 13:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Do you by any chance have an Automobile Association membership?

If yes, just go over talk to them, they will take care of all the paper work, they know the right path, and guide you in case there are any legal hurdles.
No, I do not have an AA membership !

I have one question, is it that a person is registered at AA ??or the vehicle??
Because, If i remember, the car has an AA logo on it somewhere ? does this mean it is already registered at AA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
IMHO an unregistred W115 is not worth all this effort. And the owner should clear all the papers before selling the car. But ofcourse if the car is comming free then it is another story.
No, this car is not for sale. Due to business relationship of my friend with the current holder of car, he wants to give it to him for free.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
I have one question, is it that a person is registered at AA ??or the vehicle??
Because, If i remember, the car has an AA logo on it somewhere ? does this mean it is already registered at AA ?
Well, it is the person who becomes a member and get a membership ID card. He can register up to 2 vehicles under him for free, and every additional vehicle can be registered for Rs 300.

Maybe, the previous owner was an AA member, as they give out a Badge and couple of stickers with each registration.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:53   #18
BHPian

Just a thought, doesnt it make things simpler? I mean if the previous owner was registered with AA, you can actually go through their records to locate him. or alteast you can get his last known address or a name, some lead.

Do give it a try, go over to AA, St Marks road with the registration number. But they would serve you only if you are member.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:12   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Yes it can be.
Oh thanks again. I wasn't aware of that. But the process seems very tedious and would need to have real deep pockets only to get the car out from the police station.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:15   #20
BHPian

hhmmm....looks like tracking the owner is the best way.

Thanks Spinnerr ! I will once again confirm the AA badge on the vehicle and I will give a try at AA.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
I have a situation here. I want to buy an old car, infact a very old one (mercedes W115 for restoration). But the problem is that this car has no clear documents of the owner ship. I want to know the procedure involved in buying such a car and getting all the documents done from RTO. I tried looking every where for any such info in this community..but i could not find one...

Can any one please guide me in this process?

For now, All I know is the RTO Registration number of the car. The person who own it now also has no information on who is the actual owner.
Well i don't think there should be so much of a problem.I would say that you should just get a clear sale purchase dead and a copy of th id proog of the seller.Since this car is not going to be a daily runner there shouldn't be so much of a problem.After all there are so many vintage and classic cars with no papers.Do negotiate the deal and try and get the price reduced this should work in your favour.So that you can get it cheaper.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sad. I would go with The Mole's advice to stay away, as many other members have opined.

Firstly this is not the only W115 you will get as they are as of now, not so rare and thankfully some are still available. Though the prices have gone upwards, these fine specimens are still quite affordable.

Any car without proper paperwork should be avoided. One can find out the history and details from the RTO but it would not be worth it. You do not know the circumstances in which this car was sold by the original owner, as the transfer papers would require his signatures.

I would not take all this trouble. In fact if the W115 entices you (like it does to me) find one in good nick. Forget this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks