Team-BHP - MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/69808-mpr-4142-1959-fiat-103d-select-restoration-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mole (Post 1935894)
This is the biggest factor. Today it is not very expensive to overhaul a Fiat engine as parts are available. But tomorrow it will be. Parts are disappearing fast.

Take my advice and just overhaul it. I made the same mistake with my Mercedes and then my Rover, which were both cars that were lying around for years and then there was always a heart ache when the cars would have to visit the garage for engine work. There were dents on the fenders while removing the engine., grease on the upholstery and what have you?

As for my Fiat when i bought the car, Karl had tested the car for a long long time and she was already pretty much mechanically sorted out when I took over the project. Even today mechanically she is a breeze. just did Bombay- pune on the weekend in the rains in the car

Manish, I would definitely advice you to go ahead and get the engine overhauled. Amol has aptly highlighted the points that might arise with a weak engine after the restoration, My engine is fully being built up and at present is with the best lathe operator in Hyderabad. I had no way but to go through this route as my head had the spark plug adaptors fitted.

Great to hear about the progress. Would be looking forward to seeing some pics of it. Apart from that i still say don't rebuild the engine now.

Today's update:
Karthik and me visited the garage at 5pm. Lot of tapping work was going on. We were there for two hours. Lots of tapping was needed at right rear as a part of it was changed earlier and work done was not good.

Regards,
Arun

Some pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnrXfDIGt1I

Wow....:)

Thats a nice start.

The above video shows body tapping and the corresponding pics later shows how the Body wrinkling is done.

He should just get the flat panels FLAT, and the curved panels CURVED.

If he does this process fine, then half the battle against Metal Paste is won. :)

Today's update: The tinker removed the right rear door for tinkering. We were there for an hour. All the while he was just tapping!

Great work going on there and the tinker seems to know his job. Apart from that if i may suggest he should remove the doors, bonnet, boot to make his work easier. Some more shots taken in the day would help to see the work better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sujith1100 (Post 1937963)
Today's update: The tinker removed the right rear door for tinkering. We were there for an hour. All the while he was just tapping!

Great you guys are having all fun :O{, I have to be content with web updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar (Post 1938039)
Great work going on there and the tinker seems to know his job. Apart from that if i may suggest he should remove the doors, bonnet, boot to make his work easier. Some more shots taken in the day would help to see the work better.

Yes they will be removed one by one. Plus the sanding machine will also be provided to him to work on the body :). We are fortunate to have found a good tinker, touchwood.

Some Pics of today's work.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02601.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02598.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02600.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02603.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02605.jpg

Door Work

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02599.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02602.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02611.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02607.jpg

Name:  DSC02610.JPG
Views: 1209
Size:  102.8 KB

Two videos of the tinkering work. YouTube - Fiat 1100 Select YouTube - Door work

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishalive (Post 1938055)
Great you guys are having all fun :O{, I have to be content with web updates.

Yes we guys had fun watching your car being restored.

Now it seems like I can go to the garage only during weekends as I have a new job at hand, Sujith's exams have started and Karthik is preparing to get hooked!

Quote:

Plus the sanding machine will also be provided to him to work on the body :).
He is already using one.

By the time my exams are over, your car will be restored I guess! Anyways, all the best. Waiting for your car to hit the roads and join the FCB tribe.

Manish: Your thread has been rated 5*s. Hope your car too will rated 5*s. Good luck!:thumbs up

Manish: Give us some updates.

Karthik has the other Made in England head light. I will give it to you next weekend. Also I plan to give the rear bumper and stepney to Nizaamji in this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiatMyLife (Post 1944551)
Manish: Give us some updates.

Karthik has the other Made in England head light. I will give it to you next weekend. Also I plan to give the rear bumper and stepney to Nizaamji in this week.

Yes give me that and the aluminum tail lights please: and the other stuff nexxt wekend, till then keep it with you. From next weekend I will have more time to devote for resoration.

As for the updates, none as tinker was ill and mechanic waiting for me to take thing further. Next week we will have some updates, along with the original components that I have for the documentation purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishalive (Post 1944577)
Yes give me that and the aluminum tail lights please: and the other stuff nexxt wekend, till then keep it with you. From next weekend I will have more time to devote for resoration.

Regarding Aluminum lights, as Karthik had it he has put them on his gray Padmini.