Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 15:32   #1
BHPian

Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission.

Hi friends,
Need advice for the following points with respect to my Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series).

I want to convert my manual transmission 300D to an automatic transmission:
  • Is it possible?
  • Is it advisable?
  • How much would be the fuel consumption?
  • How much would the conversion cost?
  • Does anyone know who can do it in Mumbai/Pune?
Best regards.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:00   #2
BHPian

Need Advice: Fitting of Automatic Transmission in the 300D W123

I tried searching for topics related to my query but did not find any.

I want to change the Manual Transmission of my Mercedes Benz 300D W123 to an Auto Transmission. My grarage owner has a Mercedes Benz 240D W123 with Auto Transmission. He wants to change his car to Manual Transmission. He has given me an exchange offer. Please advice me if I should go ahead with the exhange. What are the pros & cons of fitting a 240D auto transmission to a 300D?

Last edited by wartikars : 20th September 2010 at 11:19.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:07   #3
BHPian

my humble suggestion is that you stick with your manual transmission.even if it is broken fix it and it will still last you another generation.
if you want an auto transmission car, its best to buy one that came with a factory fitted auto transmission.
the reason i dont recommend the transplant is because, the auto transmission in these cars are controlled by vacuum modulators, so installing an auto transmission involves poking around with the vacuum system which always turns out to be a head ache if you dont have the correct diagrams, let alone the expertise.
and on top of all that the drop in fuel efficiency by about 3 kilometers/liter.
messing around with the shifter assembly.
oh and most importantly its a bit slow.
i just saw your question about the cost of conversion.
the person who wants to do the exchange is gaining out of the deal so he should pay you.

Last edited by msaudf : 13th October 2010 at 11:14.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 22:45   #4
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission.

you can go for the conversion, its the same gearbox between 240D and 300D
chargerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 22:52   #5
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission.

just realized its a 3 year old thread! lol
chargerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:39   #6
BHPian

I am about the check a potential w123 buy but have been informed by the seller that the transmission (4speed manual) has a humming noise.

From my (somewhat limited) DIY experience it seems like a badly worn bearing in the tranny. Could be input shaft bearing, main drive bearing counter shaft bearing...??? This could mean a neglected car which has not seen frequent oil changes. But of course this would need a physical examination.

Can any of you tell me if you have had similar experience with your w123 trannys and what was the diagnosis and what was the cost involved?

I am a bit worried because the owner informed me that he replaced the tranny from a donor car? Does this mean it is cheaper/smarter to do that rather than fix a couple of worn bearings? Or there could be other issues lurking under?

Most Viewed