Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 10:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

The wheel assembling task takes extraordinary time as the first time wooden pieces that we bought got damaged while making holes for the spokes hence once again the carpenter did the structure in wood.

Unusual Restoration - II : South India's traditional Bullock cart-image021.jpg

Unusual Restoration - II : South India's traditional Bullock cart-image022.jpg

This time it is a kind of success story.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looks more like a cart adapted from horse drawn ones. Would be interesting to know when leaf springs appeared on such carts.
The really traditional ones are without any springs and wider without the covering on the top.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:22   #18
BHPian

OT: Pothys in chennai has done a pongal theme decoration this year.

It consists of a bullock cart with two bullocks and people travelling on the cart. It's very lively and it reminded me of your restoration.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Amazing Restoration, very eagerly waiting for the final pics
Old 13th January 2010, 11:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Looks more like a cart adapted from horse drawn ones. Would be interesting to know when leaf springs appeared on such carts.
The really traditional ones are without any springs and wider without the covering on the top.
May be, however this kind of suspension enabled carts are used right from English time. I guess these suspension technologies were brought to the catle carts from the horse carts used by Britishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
OT: Pothys in chennai has done a pongal theme decoration this year.

It consists of a bullock cart with two bullocks and people travelling on the cart. It's very lively and it reminded me of your restoration.
Oh did you click any pics of it. I would love to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Amazing Restoration, very eagerly waiting for the final pics

Thanks buddy. I will surely post the pics as and when available.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Deat Trammway - this is a fantastic thread. I have been seeing a major design flaw in all bullock carts upto now and you have given me an opportunity to say it. Thanks. The design flaw is that none of the bullock carts have wheel bearings. There is just too much clearance between the axle shaft and the wheel. Please try and introduce wheel bearings in bullock carts. I am not mentioning your particular cart which you would restore to original specifications, but I am saying in general. If you want a design idea, I can provide. This will reduce the strain on the poor bullocks by reducing the friction.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th January 2010, 14:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Deat Trammway - this is a fantastic thread. I have been seeing a major design flaw in all bullock carts upto now and you have given me an opportunity to say it. Thanks. The design flaw is that none of the bullock carts have wheel bearings. There is just too much clearance between the axle shaft and the wheel. Please try and introduce wheel bearings in bullock carts. I am not mentioning your particular cart which you would restore to original specifications, but I am saying in general. If you want a design idea, I can provide. This will reduce the strain on the poor bullocks by reducing the friction.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Sir, Thanks for your comments.

I did think on the same aspect as you have mentioned, but the axle shaft seating area in the wheel which is covered by a metal bush is actually staying on a wooden center piece in the wheel. Whenever there is a torque given to the wooden part in the center creates a few micron gap leading the bush itself to get loosen.

Hence I'm doubting if even the introduction of wheel bearings in the wooden part in the middle can hold it intact. May be a outer circlip like the pin that holds piston pins in fozzil fuel vehicle may keep the bearing on it's position.

I would be happy to see your ideas, I'm sure if only I have an opportunity to ride the cart with live cattle I will definitely give a shot to try that out.

Last edited by trammway : 13th January 2010 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks