Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 13:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Restoring 1956 Dodge Kingsway

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
By the way his son was in India just recently, to promote his company - House of Marley, may be this shoot has do something with that.
Yeah, saw him on TV during one of the recent India cricket matches. Name is Rohan Marley, if I caught it right.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 19:11   #32
BHPian

Hi Shahbaaz,

if you care for your car, why not rebuild??

Ghosh, if memories serve me correct, rebuilt a burnt out caddy in Calcutta , I am told the car drives well.

Gautama Sen even did a TV show featuring that car.

I rebuilt our Desoto burnt to the ground in a fire at home, ran the car for years thereafter without problems.

if you have the inclination, it can be done
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
@karlosdeville,
Duniya gol hai man!!! Awsome..I am getting goose bums continuously from the time I have seen your post. Thanks a lot buddy.
Sorry for not remembering the name of building but attached here are few more snaps(Good and bad times).
The previous owner Aspi Irani had a flat in the same building but stayed in cotter-gate area/camp.
When we visited Dr. Grant(Ruby hall) for my Daddy treatment, we happened to just peep into the premises and got a view of this car and since then it took around 2 to 3 years for us to convince the owner to sell it to us. This was when me and my cousin were still in 11th std. Finally when I was in my 1st yr of engineering I was able to own it.
Hi . Just could not resist myself when I read the passion you have for the Dodge Kingsway . I am posting photos of the car I have just restored. Sorry for your car . Not that it cannot be restored but spares are becoming very difficult to find to very expensive . You could locate another car and restore it. Contact me if you need help . Cheers & enjoy the snaps .
Attached Files
File Type: docx Kingsway.docx (2.50 MB, 607 views)
Aarjay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 11:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarjay View Post
Hi . Just could not resist myself when I read the passion you have for the Dodge Kingsway . I am posting photos of the car I have just restored. Sorry for your car . Not that it cannot be restored but spares are becoming very difficult to find to very expensive . You could locate another car and restore it. Contact me if you need help . Cheers & enjoy the snaps .
Aarjay bro needed your help man.Is it possiblefor you to mail me more pictures of restoration , mainly interior . If you documented the entire process it will be of great help for me , since i'm restoring the same.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:31   #35

Hi . I hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: docx Kingsway.docx (1.73 MB, 472 views)
Aarjay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Shahbaaz,

if you care for your car, why not rebuild??

Ghosh, if memories serve me correct, rebuilt a burnt out caddy in Calcutta , I am told the car drives well.

Gautama Sen even did a TV show featuring that car.

I rebuilt our Desoto burnt to the ground in a fire at home, ran the car for years thereafter without problems.

if you have the inclination, it can be done

Bulldogji, its so severely damaged that rebuilding it will be a very difficult task. But I am in a hunt of a body shell..
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bulldogji, its so severely damaged that rebuilding it will be a very difficult task. But I am in a hunt of a body shell..
Gosh! Is it really damaged to that extent? But, as Bulldogji said, rebuilding burnt cars is definitely possible!

Anyways, wishing you luck in this endeavor! Kingsways were lovely cars! . They are second on my list, the first being the W111 Fintail!

Anyway! Which year is yours? Is it a 1956 one? It could be so, going by the registration number, which is BML9913. When was this photograph taken? I guess in the late Eighties.

Lastly, is it still running on its original six cylinder petrol mill?

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th October 2013 at 14:21.
Old 31st October 2013, 12:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Shahbaaz,

Obviously I cannot fully appreciate the damage to the body shell of the car just by looking at the photos you posted, but from the photos, the body metal does not show much damage. Of course all the plastics would have been melted, including all the gauges, steering wheel, rubber hoses for brakes etc., and replacing them would be very expensive in itself.

A restoration is possible as some have already said but in my opinion, the cost of bringing the car back to life again would probably be around the region of the price of a good working Kingsway with the correct engine. In other words, it would make sense to buy a working Kingsway. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by mbz180 : 31st October 2013 at 12:14.
mbz180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 21:55   #39
BHPian

If the car has sentimental value, rebuild, otherwise as MBZ suggests, will be cheaper to buy another 56 Kingsway.

I rebuilt our Desoto purely out of sentiment, and of course everything was much cheaper then.

I recently came across my old diary enumerating costs, advances to tin smiths and painters were twenty rupees, thirty rupees etc..

Good old days, never to return. The Desoto was bought second hand from Air India for five hundred rupees in 1948 or 49
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
I rebuilt our Desoto purely out of sentiment, and of course everything was much cheaper then.

I recently came across my old diary enumerating costs, advances to tin smiths and painters were twenty rupees, thirty rupees etc..

Good old days, never to return. The Desoto was bought second hand from Air India for five hundred rupees in 1948 or 49
I don't think I have seen your DeSoto - Can you please share some pictures? Period pictures especially welcome
Old 4th November 2013, 21:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I don't think I have seen your DeSoto - Can you please share some pictures? Period pictures especially welcome
Karl,

The Desoto was burnt in Feb 1982' back on the road by around end of the same year and n regular use till 1986 . Sadly, the gear box solenoids were stolen thereafter and I parked the car planning to get them from the US, this never happened, so now the poor car has become my retirement project. The body has badly corroded, engine not started since then, BUT, I will before my maker calls, get her running to Mahableshwar again
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 00:01   #42
BHPian

I had it in my mind of re-building it but cost and time is the biggest factor. As mbz180 said, procuring parts will be a major task. I am in a hunt of another Kingsway as I still have the documents of my beloved.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys! I'm planning on restoring a 56 Kingsway! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please share information on parts availability and even a donor car if possible.
Old 1st March 2017, 14:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Hi guys! I'm planning on restoring a 56 Kingsway! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please share information on parts availability and even a donor car if possible.
Hi there,
What are all the parts needed at the moment? How good/bad is the car? Is it running at present? Any pics. you could share of the car in the current state?
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 12:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Hi,
Do let me know what parts you require. Recently restored my 56 and am happy to help with whatever you need with regards to pictures etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks