Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 23:35   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
FCCH meet is for Fiats only.
Other miscellaneous vehicles will not fit the bill here and may mislead too.
Of course I know its for Fiats only, I never meant I will be attending an FCCH meet with any of my rides! I meant I was preparing for the DHAA rally on 15th. Sorry if I wasnt clear enough in my last post.
And as I am aware that FCCH members would also attend said rally, I presumed Mr. Kale would be present at the venue.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:59   #47
BHPian

Just to say Hi/Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Of course I know its for Fiats only, I never meant I will be attending an FCCH meet with any of my rides! I meant I was preparing for the DHAA rally on 15th. Sorry if I wasnt clear enough in my last post.
And as I am aware that FCCH members would also attend said rally, I presumed Mr. Kale would be present at the venue.
I mean to say not to display his cars/bikes at FCCH meet. Just to meet us on fine 15th Aug morning, say Hi n Hello and then he can push off to DHAA rally.
I think some 06 odd FIATs (pre1970s) are also attending DHAA rally as posted by Ram. Ya I'l be also attending in one of the FCCH beauty.
Old 6th August 2010, 23:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Some latest pics please Shyam.

Italian Scoots with Italian cars!! Wow.. It will be a pride for FCCH. Even we want to do such combined meet of Italian cars and scoots.
Old 7th August 2010, 01:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam, Congratulations!! I have been watching this thread for a while as I used an Li in my college days and have been fascinated with Lds since those days.

Nice to see you constantly pour new life into such lovely old beauties. Hats off to your perseverance and patience, your dedication and passion are genuine and outstanding. Seeing the pictures here and knowing you, I am sure that the LD is almost perfect mechanically or fast on it's way to that particular nirvana of a classic vehicle.

One question though. What was the original colour of this particular vehicle? Are you sure it was red & white (a popular colour). When you do restore it fully you might want to paint it in the original colour.

I certainly hope you will unveil this beauty on the 15th. I would love to see it then and I am sure it will stand out, being head and shoulders above the crowd.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 7th August 2010 at 01:58.
Old 7th August 2010, 19:24   #50
BHPian

Hi Stanher,
Glad to hear that your LD Project started and hope to see its progress.
BTW in this month August any Vintage Car Rally is expected in Chow Mahallah Palace or any other place, let us know if any?

Good luck in your efforts, take care of your health first.

Cheers!
Old 8th August 2010, 21:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Hey Shyam, Congratulations!!
Nice to see you constantly pour new life into such lovely old beauties. Hats off to your perseverance and patience, your dedication and passion are genuine and outstanding. Seeing the pictures here and knowing you, I am sure that the LD is almost perfect mechanically or fast on it's way to that particular nirvana of a classic vehicle.

One question though. What was the original colour of this particular vehicle? Are you sure it was red & white (a popular colour). When you do restore it fully you might want to paint it in the original colour.
Thanks ravvs!

And sorry for the delay but my net at home has been out since 2 days now... and right now typing from a cybercafe....so not able to spend too much time online to be able to post here. Very frustrating indeed! :(

Yes, I'm quite sure the original colour was red and white; I had some work done on the scoot even today, which I'll be posting in detail once my net is back. And I noticed again the original red paint on the insides of the horncast, handlebar cover etc. There is white on the mudguard and chassis tube, so red and white it was. But I'll be saving a more detailed restoration and most likely reverting to the original colour for a later date. Right now just getting her mechanically up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Glad to hear that your LD Project started and hope to see its progress.
BTW in this month August any Vintage Car Rally is expected in Chow Mahallah Palace or any other place, let us know if any?
Thanks. This time it would be in the usual venue of Lumbini park if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10th August 2010, 00:35   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

OK guys, finally back in form, my net at home, and thus me too!

A loooooong update since Sunday (yesterday)-

Now I'd insisted on getting the horn alone working if the scoot were to run, for my own concerns of safety. For this, I had a hunch the existing (non-original, Li) headlight/horn switch had to be changed, for which I had a brand new original LD mk3 switch housing ready! This also has an ignition cut-off button (on right top corner)
Also the speedometer, in its present condition, wouldnt look presentable for the rally, and I couldnt afford an original speedo at present. So I had an original speedo blanking plate for the LD mk3, bought on ebay!
For both of these though, I was told that the wiring would have to be connected. For this, the headset handle cover and horncast would have to be removed, for which the headlight....one thing leading to another!

So yesterday noon, proceeded with undoing all the screws, which proved to be real time-consuming, as they were all jammed with ages of corrosion! Unfortunately, I forgot to take my trusty WD-40 can with me on Sunday, but the mech. seemed unperturbed, and insisted on using water instead even otherwise!

With what took an eternity, finally the headset and headlight came off....the speedo and horn body sure had some corrosion set in! Wiring seemed all messed up by previous hands. 'took us hours to figure out what wire was meant for what, a few of them having been blanked out as they didnt have connections with the new switch! At the end of the day by 3pm, figured out just the ignition cut-off wire!
I managed to get the speedo off and fit the blanking plate though, looks pretty neat! The cable however, will remain as it is, this being a temporary set-up.

Meanwhile the guy accidentally ended up locking the handlebar lock by trying to find a key that'd fit it....it was already in a bad state, cracked from previous attempts to move the handle when locked!

So when I left yesterday, he'd directed me to a key-maker nearby with his name as referral, on going to whom today I got a flat refusal because he didnt have the 'model' for the key to this lock!! Grrrrr......but to my luck, we happened to find a Bajaj key that fit just right in the handle-lock as well as the rear toolbox that I got to open for the first time ever- hoped to find some hidden spares, but nothing except discarded old spark plugs and bolts. And a little honeycomb as well!

Now the saga of the wiring resumed...the horncast was finally off too. Original wiring was intact, but difficult to source in the scoot, as it seemed to run through the chassis tube. 'finally found the little junction box under the engine (interesting spot to fit one!), still intact and working after 50+ years! from which the main wiring was supposed to originate, but only the ign. cut-off wire seemed to be connected to it.
According to my manual, 3 wires, the main, horn and headlamp wires should've been connected from this to the square junction boxes inside the horncast.
But as I needed just the horn working for now, it was decided to get 2 wires in, for the main and horn. So got 2 new wires with outer cable, took ages to insert them both in but finally was done!

More tomorrow...!

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7061.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7060.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7062.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7068.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7069.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7070.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7072.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7073.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7075.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7076.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7081.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7078.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7079.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7082.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7084.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7085.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7087.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7090.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7092.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7093.jpg
Old 10th August 2010, 08:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry I seem to have missed uploading a few pics. in my last post- here are the handlebar lock showing the cracks, and the new switch I got.

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7066.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7067.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7063.jpg
Old 11th August 2010, 00:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Good it will be exciting to see your LD shyam out on 15th, hope all turns out well. Why don't you also take part in out Vespa & Lambretta drive which we are planning next after 15th aug rally. Apart from you I request all the Vespa & Lambretta owners to join us, we shall revive the roads with these nostalgic beauties. Wish you goof luck Shyam.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:28   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the pause but had problems with my net until this morning!

Anyways, most of the work is done on the scoot, although there is still quite a bit left to do!
Tomorrow's all I have!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

But not able to upload any pics. for some reason as of now!

Plus, my camera batteries were totally down today so are being recharged, so might as well all the pics. all at once as and when that's done.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:08   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, a bit late but still better than never I guess! Here are 'some' of the promised pics., now that my net is finally working normally today!

More to follow...

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7118.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7119.jpg

Mudguard being dented...

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7121.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7122.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7124.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7130.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7134.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7135.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7136.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7152.jpg

The fork stem's stopper, which makes the handlebar swivel upto a certain extent, had worn out at the ends, which made the handle to swing almost 180 deg.!
So it was refinished with welding at the ends.

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7161.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7163.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7165.jpg
Old 15th August 2010, 22:38   #57
BHPian

Our Fauji with LD150

Hi all Lamby lovers,
I could not resist to post this photo of stanher during today's DHAA rally.
He is so dedicated to theme that he stiched a special dress n bought helmet for the event.
Passionate vintage cars & bikes lover.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-indep-day-012.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 22:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Great spirit Shyam! appropriate attire, this reminds me of a statement written inside the coach I was travelling " Every cop is a common man in dress and every common man is a cop in civil dress".

Great show again by Shyam and I appreciate all the efforts he put in to bring the scooter to the show. I missed out this LD in real action. All the best for future restoration friend.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:52   #59
BHPian

Hi Stanher,

Congrats for your Lamby. You have picked up a very nice gorgeous baby. Which ofcourse is "One in a million".

Go Green
Old 15th August 2010, 23:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
I could not resist to post this photo of stanher during today's DHAA rally.
He is so dedicated to theme that he stiched a special dress n bought helmet for the event.
Passionate vintage cars & bikes lover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Great spirit Shyam! appropriate attire, Great show again by Shyam and I appreciate all the efforts he put in to bring the scooter to the show. I missed out this LD in real action. All the best for future restoration friend.
Thank you nvk and bala!! The pic.'s taken really well!
I'm extremely happy to see it.
Nvk, a request btw- could you please email the original (without the team-bhp watermark) to me? I will pm you my ID.

Yes, I felt today was the right day/occasion to appear in the fauji/combat uniform. 'was taken as a 'real' fauji by many onlookers today!
Actually I had got the idea from the colour of my LD!
I felt that had it been an army vehicle, this would've been just the colour- a few people who've seen the scoot even asked me if it was previously owned by an armyman!

So once the idea came into my mind, I decided to do what all it takes to get this scooter to the 15th august rally, and I must say the mech. et al who got it ready worked overtime on it.

And speaking of the army uniform, I must say it kind of saved me today, when the scooter's exhaust started 'smoking' heavily all at once while idling for some time when I waited at 2 signals just before secratariat, much to the chagrin of public in traffic- it was spotted by 2 different traffic cops, one of whom questioned me too but I guess they took me for a real fauji and let me pass......I sure was relieved that I could get to the show! No such thing happened with the scoot on the way back though.

And for your compliments, here are the rest of the pics.; these were taken just yesterday, when we had worked well into the night before today, sorting out the mechanical and electrical hassles.
Time didnt permit to set the wheel rim straight, as this required cutting/filing the fork bushes by lathe etc. etc. So the fork was just cleaned with the bearings greased and set back in.
I decided to replace the scooter's damaged carb with a much better LD carb (albeit an older one, but different in the air-filter and few details) that I bought on ebay and got delivered this week. With this, there was much improvement, mainly being I didnt even require to use the choke while starting the scooter!

Wiring for headlight/horn controls was finally sorted out by 7PM, following which the seat-covers were done. Then a slight welding for the side-panel lock clamps was done.
After everything was fitted back, the headlight as well as horn were both found to be working now! That was one major problem solved!

Finally all done by 9PM! Then drove it down and parked for the night at a DHAA club member's cellar at Sec'bad where I collected it this morning.

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7166.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7157.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7160.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7173.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7182.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7186.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7187.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7196.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7197.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7201.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7202.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7204.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7206.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7209.jpg

Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3!-img_7210.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 15th August 2010 at 23:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks