Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 10:23   #16

Finally have managed to read the upload instructions and get this right! The pictures should now be visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Modernising a Fiat 1100D!!-fiat.jpg  

Modernising a Fiat 1100D!!-fiat2.jpg  

Old 30th May 2010, 10:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

How can disc brakes be fitted to a fiat 1100/ premier padmini?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:39   #18

@ramzsys: that's what I'm trying to find out! Im not an engineer or anything even close to understanding mechanicals but I think it can be done by replacing the hubs and the entire brake assembly, but then replacing hub could mean getting compatible the axles as well?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Hopefully the front grille will be changed soon!
Yeah, your(?) imported Delight grille would sure do justice to it!
Old 30th May 2010, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

The easiest way is to fit a 118NE's disc brakes. I have seen it working, but mechanic says one needs a booster. Dont know whether he is misleading me.
Old 30th May 2010, 13:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The easiest way is to fit a 118NE's disc brakes. I have seen it working, but mechanic says one needs a booster. Dont know whether he is misleading me.
A booster will be required as drum brake Wheel Cylinders take considerably less force to operate than Disc brake Calipers do. But sourcing discs from NE118 would once again raise the issue of spares availability. How about sourcing everything from a current production model?

Will discuss these issues with the mechanic as well and update.
Old 30th May 2010, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Kinshuk, your car looks great in that shade of color. Irrespective of whatever modifications you do, I'd want you to keep her the same color.
Old 30th May 2010, 16:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinshuk View Post
A booster will be required as drum brake Wheel Cylinders take considerably less force to operate than Disc brake Calipers do. But sourcing discs from NE118 would once again raise the issue of spares availability. How about sourcing everything from a current production model?

Will discuss these issues with the mechanic as well and update.
The front wheel hub from the 118NE is interchangeable with that on the Fiat. I vaguely remember some south India based company named Hindustan something used to make independent brake boosters which were OE for some version of the HM Ambassador. I am not very clear about it.

Standard Fiat braking system with good brake liners (this is very important) is more than enough for the car. Good brake liners (Feredo was a good make) are very rare. Also I would still repeat my post in some other thread and say that the less a Fiat is modified, the more reliable and trouble free it would be.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 30th May 2010, 17:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ya adheesh, thats what my mechanic too said. Standard fiat brakes with those large drums are more than sufficient for the fiat(dog-like bite). For disc brakes suspension too have to be modified, and the reliability of such a setup is always questionable.
Old 31st May 2010, 20:18   #25

@marcus: thanks! I found this shade after much effort, so wont be looking at changing colour.

@Adheesh & Ramzsys: I was under the impression that besides the booster & brake lines, I will only be required to change things beyond the spindle!

Here's a link of a video I came across on youtube

My car's always has had a problem of jamming wheels and every time the mechanic shaves a bit off the shoes and they're good to go! Even last Sunday when I took the car out, both front wheels were'nt moving freely and when I returned after driving about 2-3kms they were smoking hot (poured some water on the rims to check)! (this is what got me thinking of discs)
Old 1st June 2010, 11:33   #26
BHPian

Well, I don't think modernizing a fiat by changing it's engine, brakes steering etc is a good idea. these things later creates reliability issues too. Changing the interior, exterior lights, nice wheel caps etc. make the car slightly different from the mass(like the H.Davidson bikes) and people recognise you by your car. its my humble opinion.
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:12   #27

Re: Modernising a Fiat 1100D!!

well done mod. Very 'West Coast'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks