Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks wasif Bhai.

All i can say is AWESOME MACHINE.

Betw: who owns the second jeep in Hyderabad, the one i saw is with Shadaan group.

Maybe they now own this APY Champ now as to my knowledge, which I like to think is extensive, there are only three Champs in India.

The second Champ in Hyderabd is the one with Rashid Nawab. Below are pictures of this Champ which I had taken personally way back in the nineties.

This Champ had come to Hyderabad via Bangalore, not sure where it originated from, and was not running due to an electrical fire.

Now Rashed Bhai is not one who will sell his cars so either the Shaadan Champ you speak of is the APY reg Champ, which was indeed up for sale, or maybe Rashid Bhai gave his Champ to them to drive around.

The third possibility is that it is not really a chanp but a Kaiser Jeep from the fifties that does look very similar to the Champ. Either wasy try to gt a picture of this car or its reg number.

I used to look after Rashed Bhai's cars and he would insist on me taking any of them to use and enjoy. I always wanted to get this Champ running but it never happened.

On another note now with this set of pictures we have all three known Austin Champs in India together on one thread !
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb50.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb51.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb52.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb53.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb54.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb55.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb56.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb57.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-rb58.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 9th June 2010 at 17:23.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures again wasif bhai.What a beauty.
I will cross check on the APY Champ and will get back to you soon on this.

Betw: Do you know anyone in Hyderabad who owns a M38.I had met some Nawaab sahb, 2 years back at balamrai Idgaah (secunderbad).He had brought his M38 for id-ul Zoha prayers, it was in stock condition with a huge winch mounted on it.He is not to be seen around now.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 9th June 2010 at 17:30. Reason: Comments
Old 9th June 2010, 18:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

What year and colour is this M38 you saw. Is it like thi sone in the picture below.

There were a few of these in very nice condition with the a few families, one was with the Owaisi family too.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-miller1953m38a11.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 14:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have faded memories of the M38 which i saw, but i remember what the Nawaab Sahb had to say that day.He said that the Jeep belonged to the pakistani army and was confiscated by our army during the India-pakistan war.It looked similar though.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have faded memories of the M38 which i saw, but i remember what the Nawaab Sahb had to say that day.He said that the Jeep belonged to the pakistani army and was confiscated by our army during the India-pakistan war.It looked similar though.
I guess those models were known as Kaiser btw?
Old 10th June 2010, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I guess those models were known as Kaiser btw?
Even i had the same doubt Shyam Bhai.But i distinctly remember what the Nawaab Sahb mentioned to me that day.I am on the lookout for him and will try to get more details from him.

Betw:My vauxhall aquisition has taken a back seat.The owner wants few more months to sort out few personal issues.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 10th June 2010 at 16:03. Reason: Comments
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:05   #22
BANNED

Hi all, I found this in my collection. This is also Austin.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-scan0001.jpg  

Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-scan0002.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2010, 10:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

That was the civilian version of their 4WD offering
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:21   #24
BHPian

[quote=wasif;1928937]What year and colour is this M38 you saw. Is it like thi sone in the picture below.

Wasif bhai, the picture you put up is of a M38A1. They made their way into India as Pakistani captured vehicles. The M38's are like the CJ3a's popularly known as the bawans. Both the M series jeeps had a 24volt system.

I am not sure if there are any original (this word has many meanings in Hyderabad, I have come across people selling 'original diesel low bonnets' as well )

anyway, here is a picture of a well restored M38A1 for reference... (picture taken at the Ford & Willys rally 2008 Jaipur, organized by the Rajputana Jeep Club
Attached Thumbnails
Austin Champ 'Jeep' - Nawab of Bhopal-n513889210_1173394_9761.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2010, 13:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

LOL ....you are right about the variation the term "Original" can be pu to in Hyderabad.

These M series Jeeps are really nice looking and when fully kitted out they look amazing.

There was this family of three brothers Shafaat, Diyanat and Rafaatwho are connected to one of the old nawabi families who had a few of these Jeeps and so did the Owaisi's and maybe the Shaadan people too.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wasif bhai.

How do you basically differentiate between M38 and Kaiser. I see a huge resemblance between these two execpt for the splitscreen.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 22nd June 2010 at 14:26. Reason: Comments
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasif bhai.

How do you basically differentiate between M38 and Kaiser. I see a huge resemblance between these two execpt for the splitscreen.

All Jeeps after 1953 were Kaiser as thats when they took over Willys. The full screen versions were the last of that bodystyle

below is an interesting link t the timelines and history of the different Jeeps.

Jeep Facts FAQs and History of Jeeps - ID Spotters Guide and Production Year Changes

http://www.m38a1.ca/m38a1.html

Last edited by wasif : 22nd June 2010 at 17:21.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:20   #28
BHPian

@ All,
Somewhere i have heard that this Austin Jeep can also go underwater without any modifications or any additions. Is it true ??? Please explain this thing if anyone knows.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ All,
Somewhere i have heard that this Austin Jeep can also go underwater without any modifications or any additions. Is it true ??? Please explain this thing if anyone knows.
It come with a sealed / waterproof engine an electrics and in theory can be driven with the engine compartment kind of submerged in water.

To drive it totally under water is another thing altogether ...the driver would need scuba gear too LOL

You woul need to have the intake snorkle up in poition along with a similar arrangment for the exhaust.

the idea was that it should be able to cross streams and rivers by driving thru them.

The distributor is also sealed or rather watertight and so are all the electrical connections
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It come with a sealed / waterproof engine an electrics and in theory can be driven with the engine compartment kind of submerged in water.

To drive it totally under water is another thing altogether ...the driver would need scuba gear too LOL

You woul need to have the intake snorkle up in poition along with a similar arrangment for the exhaust.

the idea was that it should be able to cross streams and rivers by driving thru them.

The distributor is also sealed or rather watertight and so are all the electrical connections
Thanks for the quick reply Wasif.
Only one query, is there is a still waterproof engine & distributor along with electricals remains on this jeep ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks