Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Help Needed With W123 240d

Recently i had got this 84 model w123 240d and had driven it straight to my place which was around 340kms away. The car had run a total of 155000 miles when i had acquired it. the body line was great except for a few rust spots on the right corner flooring board and the originality was well maintained by the earlier owner who is a well known personality and is the only owner of this car till i bought it from him.
I had no trouble at all travelling to my place and that too alone. the pick up was sluggish as a snail but some of my friends who own a merc told that these kinda engines would be like that only so got used to that soon.

Offlate i find a unique problem, the car is an auto transmission and mostly it just pulls along finely except for some occasions where it refuses to run in its usual pickup forward even in "S" mode in flat terrains. In that case, i got to use the "L" mode to make it gain some speed atleast.
Can anyone highlight me what would be the reason for this strange behaviour?
Moreover it doesnt happen every time i take it out, but now the frequency has started to increase rapidly.
Since there are no mechanics in my place, i plan to drive it down to coimbatore where they suggested me a few good ones to take care of my car the way it should be done.
Another thing going on in my mind is, my mechanic who checked the car intially said that the engine is full of carbon deposits and it got to be flushed every 2.5k kms for a total of 10k so that the engine will become ok on its own. Is that possible?? and another main point of concern is that am not able to get the engine flushing oil here in my city.
The engine temperature hasnt crossed 100 degrees in city driving with 100% ac on and even with that temp, in idling, the oil pressure maintains more than 2bars in its 3 bar gauge. In highways, the temp gauge maintained between 80 and 85 degrees.
Does that mean anything about the engine's condition in any ways?
Can you please suggest me how to go about these issues cos me and my two year old son love this car a lot and dont want to give it away or swap it with another merc.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

You might want to top up the automatic transmission fluid levels. worth treating the car to a full oil change, injector pump service etc. Parts dirt cheap as same engine is in the tempo traveller
Old 15th June 2010, 13:44   #3
BHPian

thank you sir

have already done the full oil changes and the local mechanic said that the transmission fluid was at the required level, now that was what i was pondering whether to do or not, ie, the injector pump service because few people warned me against servicing that and said that it would be trouble free for another couple of lakh kms atleast.
Can an authorised tempo dealer(now force motors) take up to do this engine check and if needed the necessary works in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You might want to top up the automatic transmission fluid levels. worth treating the car to a full oil change, injector pump service etc. Parts dirt cheap as same engine is in the tempo traveller
Old 15th June 2010, 16:25   #4
BHPian

calling fellow bhpians in coimbatore

hi all cbe bhpians. heard that one person called 'benz' mohan is supposed to do a wonderful job for mercedes there! can you please help me and tell if its worthwhile to drive down there or is there any other persons capable of doing a terrific job in mercs would be appreciated!
The main reason for me to choose cbe is its closer (200kms) from my place and i find workmanship in coimbatore to much better than in chennai.
I've also got inputs that Mr. Francis, in egmore chennai too does a wonderful job but am really skeptical to drive down my car again to chennai and it would be a troublesome thing to watch how the works done there. Any inputs on his skills too would be appreciated and request all to enlighten me as to and where i should be sending my car to be repaired.
I believe in doing up my car once and it should leave no stone unturned in that and my next service interval should be after 10k kms during which it should run trouble free as my other car.
thanks in advance
Old 15th June 2010, 17:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Maybe you need to change the automatic tramission fluid. Not top it up
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 18:07   #6
BHPian

thanks again ajmat

thanks again for ur speedy reply...shall try it out tommorow itself... and let you know
Quote:
Maybe you need to change the automatic tramission fluid. Not top it up
Old 15th June 2010, 18:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check the colour of the ATF on dipstick. If its black then your clutches are probably burnt. Correct colour is red ...like PS fluid.

A/Ts have to be rebuilt at some point depending on usage. Does it jerk during take off and during shifts?

Last edited by Mpower : 15th June 2010 at 18:28.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:34   #8
BHPian

thanks mpower sir

No it doesnt jerk during take off and shifts except when shifting to the reverse gear there seems to be a small jerk otherwise its fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Check the colour of the ATF on dipstick. If its black then your clutches are probably burnt. Correct colour is red ...like PS fluid.

A/Ts have to be rebuilt at some point depending on usage. Does it jerk during take off and during shifts?
Old 15th June 2010, 21:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Small jerk is OK for an 80s unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbala View Post
Offlate i find a unique problem, the car is an auto transmission and mostly it just pulls along finely except for some occasions where it refuses to run in its usual pickup forward even in "S" mode in flat terrains. In that case, i got to use the "L" mode to make it gain some speed atleast.
I am thinking L stands for low which is like 2 or 3 in some ATs. Basically it holds the engine in lower gear. Did you find that rpms are higher when driving in L vs S mode.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Small jerk is OK for an 80s unit.

I am thinking L stands for low which is like 2 or 3 in some ATs. Basically it holds the engine in lower gear. Did you find that rpms are higher when driving in L vs S mode.
Thats why I think the fluid is "off". The viscosity must be low hence torque conversion is weak
Old 15th June 2010, 22:23   #11
BANNED

It is German motors , coimbatore, i have heard and seen lots of mercedes are repaired in their garage, even older ones. As far as i have heard, They are doing good job in benz, though bit costlier.

Thats the information i got. The workshop is behind pappanaickenpalayam electric crematorium.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:22   #12
BHPian

Yes the rpm is definetly higher in the l mode.
Shall change the transmission fluid today and let you know.
Quote:
Thats why I think the fluid is "off". The viscosity must be low hence torque conversion is weak
Old 16th June 2010, 08:25   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the info ravianoj.
The basic thing i needed to know was the quality of work and quality does come at a cost only na anyways should be driving down in the first week of july only since the tamil maanadu is taking place next week
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
It is German motors , coimbatore, i have heard and seen lots of mercedes are repaired in their garage, even older ones. As far as i have heard, They are doing good job in benz, though bit costlier.

Thats the information i got. The workshop is behind pappanaickenpalayam electric crematorium.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:33   #14
BANNED

The mobile number is 98422 34341, 98428 34341. you can contact them at this number,
Old 16th June 2010, 15:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the pick up was sluggish as a snail but some of my friends who own a merc told that these kinda engines would be like that only so got used to that soon.
These engines are not at all sluggish. Of course you cannot compare them with the cdi engines of today but the 240D holds its fort. Anyone who says these kind of engines are like that only is leading you on a wrong path, trust me.

Quote:
the car is an auto transmission and mostly it just pulls along finely except for some occasions where it refuses to run in its usual pickup forward even in "S" mode in flat terrains. In that case, i got to use the "L" mode to make it gain some speed atleast.
Can anyone highlight me what would be the reason for this strange behaviour?
As Ajmat has rightfully advised, change the transmission oil. I would go a step further and attribute this behaviour to a clogged transmission filter too. Beware, a lot of persons will put in TQ oil, that is the regular power steering oil, which does work in emergencies but i would get the original DB transmission fluid/oil and top it up. It should cost you in the vicinity of Rs: 475-600/- range. The transmission filter will cost you between Rs: 750-1200/-
The first thing to do when you buy a pre-owned car is to change all the fluids, yes all. Engine oil (replace with synthetic), transmission, brake and radiator fluids. Change all the filters, petrol, transmission, oil, air. Now see the difference.

If the problem still persists, get the band setting of the gear shifting set. I dont think this is the problem though because you say the car does not jerk while shifting.

Quote:
my mechanic who checked the car intially said that the engine is full of carbon deposits and it got to be flushed every 2.5k kms for a total of 10k so that the engine will become ok on its own. Is that possible?? and another main point of concern is that am not able to get the engine flushing oil here in my city.
Change your mechanic. Obviously anyone who is advising you to carbonize after every 2.5K kms does not know his job. Sometimes, in an older car and a car that has clocked large mileage, it is better not to decarbonise the engine until ready for a partial or full over haul, as if done, problems arise. In these cases, it might be the carbon deposits actually blocking leaks from worn out places.

Quote:
have already done the full oil changes and the local mechanic said that the transmission fluid was at the required level
no top up, change the oil and filters.

Quote:
injector pump service because few people warned me against servicing that and said that it would be trouble free for another couple of lakh kms atleast.
It is important to get the pump setting and calibration done by an expert. Any one else toying with these pumps might actually make the problem worse. IMHO, you might just need a gentle service at the max.

Quote:
Can an authorised tempo dealer(now force motors) take up to do this engine check and if needed the necessary works in it?
NO NO NO NO NO NO.......NO!! just forget about this option please!! Dont even consider it.

As Ajmat pointed out parts are really cheap and available so go ahead and rectify whatever is wrong now.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks