Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 11:18   #1
BHPian

Its pure passion !!! (Repost with pics)

“Old is Gold”

I wonder what fascinates these men to stick to old gadgets when there are stuff in the market which are a million light years away technologically speaking. But the passion to maintain the authenticity and to recreate one has always been a major trade mark for these particular class of men.
Well I am narrowing the generic term “stuff” to cars from now on. Although cars with advanced technologies like EBD, ESP and cruise control have started to find their roads into the market there are oldies which demands a second look when they are on roads.

“A man is judged by the way he maintains his car”

Well my effort to maintain an oldie, and to bring it back to its original form is what this post is about.

FIAT – The legend who lived for 3 decades on Indian roads.

There were three cars that I liked ever since I began to identify 4 wheels on road.
1. Contessa Classic.
2. Standard 2000.
3. FIAT Premier Padmini.

Premier Padmini’s were manufactured back then by PAL(Premier automobiles limited) in association with Italian giant FIAT. I skip most of the technical specs of this babe and come up with my story.

I drool over well maintained Fiats particularly Premier Padmini’s of the 80’s and 90’s when I site them on road. Then came time when I and my dad decided to get one for ourselves. That was 2007. It was a 14 year old vehicle when I brought it. It was in a good running condition with paint damaged along the running board and along some pretty visible areas. It was the latest model back then with front bucket seats(which is quite rare in this model) along with floor gears and with company fitted AC.
I acquired my F1 comparable driving skills in this car. My first proper drive in the city was from Santhome to Thiruvanmayur during peak hours. I was a bit reluctant since I was only street experienced back then. But the moment I sat in, the view of the outside world was so clear that I took it out fearless. Yes there are very few cars whose bonnet you could see while driving. There is a famous saying. “You drive a FIAT or an AMBI you could drive anything” .That sure holds true.

Its pure passion !!! (Repost with pics)-dsc00216.jpg

I loved it so much that I decided to give it a complete makeover that will bring it back to its original form. That includes painting, tinkering, seat covers changed, clutch plate change, suspension change, couple of tyre’s changed and… that was almost like changing everything barring the engine. It took me a whooping 70 K I spent on it. Since I decided to maintain it till my last breath, the amount didn’t seem to bring heartaches, although it did for my family. But I didn’t want finance winning over passion. So I convinced them.

So here he is …
Right after repainting was done !!!!

Its pure passion !!! (Repost with pics)-dsc00220.jpg

Latest Pic !!!

Its pure passion !!! (Repost with pics)-dsc02259.jpg

He has helped me befriend many road users. They come down ask me details of her and tell their own stories of their past experiences.
Facts :
1. My longest drive was from Chennai to Pondicherry.
2.Her longest drive was from Chennai to Bangalore (without me on the wheels)
3. I have touched 100 kmph on ECR a couple of times and he was steady as a rock.(albeit it is something suicidal).

Rajnikanth still owns his FIAT premier padmini and only drives her. All the more reasons for me to own one. I sit down to watch this song “Manram vandha” from the film Mouna Ragam for this car. FIAT premier padmini is still ruling Mumbai’s roads as taxis but not for long.
Many have asked me sell it off and get a latest one in the market. My answer to them is “Old is gold”.I smile and say "Its just passion."

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2010 at 23:09. Reason: Mr Webdesigner, welcome aboard :) Please see announcement "how to upload pics" for how to correctly insert em between text in posts. Cheers.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:04   #2
BANNED

Rubbertramps: Welcome to Team-Bhp! You seem to be of the same breed as many Fiatians here!

Your Padmini looks just like out of Factory. Hats off to you for bringing her back to glory.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the league of passionate Fiatians.Thanks for sharing your pride possession's pictures with us Rubbertramps. You seem to have worked a lot on the car to bring it close to originality. BTW any more pics of the car. How about some interior and engine bay shots.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vannakkam Sir! yet another gem unveiled. Welcome on board sir you tale was as intresting as the car. You have a nice car and that too one of our FCCH founder member's most desired and most wanted car he is non other than RAM (Hillram). Wish him luck to have one of this kind for his flag soon.

I still can't belive Nammba Rajini (our Rajini) still drives a Fiat simple man (by any chance a pic of his car) hope he is not doing any stunts with it unlike in his movies (Just kidding). I guess Sharat (not sure of the name) from the movie "Maieanna" rather husband of the lead actress "chitti" (forgive me I'm not a movie buff) He has got a awesome Fiat painted in gold colour with two halogen and alloys, Ahh!! SUUUPERRR!! saw it in one of his interview on a Deebavali festival.

I should say you have maintained you car very stock unlike the modded ones done up in chennai (I liked few). Wishing you all the best of luck for the years to come, mean while just Vrrrrooomm!! Vrrrrooomm!!
Old 19th June 2010, 21:42   #5
BANNED

Hi Rubbertrams

Congrats first for having got registered in team bhp,secondly congrats on the FIAT restoration

I do like fiat very much as we also had one in 80s

Our first car was fiat 1100 and i was a fantastic one.6 people used to travel in it to thirupaty in it and was comfortable too.I just miss that car now(a look alike pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Its pure passion !!! (Repost with pics)-1957fiat1100selectrear.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 23:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I still can't belive Nammba Rajini (our Rajini) still drives a Fiat simple man (by any chance a pic of his car) hope he is not doing any stunts with it unlike in his movies (Just kidding).
I too heard that he still has the car, if I'm not mistaken it was his first car, bought when he had begun to grow in his film career, so it would be from the 70s although I'm not sure what model exactly it could be.
Old 20th June 2010, 01:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Rubbertrams

Congrats first for having got registered in team bhp,secondly congrats on the FIAT restoration

I do like fiat very much as we also had one in 80s

Our first car was fiat 1100 and i was a fantastic one.6 people used to travel in it to thirupaty in it and was comfortable too.I just miss that car now(a look alike pic attached)
Wow!! really nice car and the way the picture is taken its absolute feast to the eyes. Bhoy!! she is so original. Petrol cap, boot handle, alimunium beadings, side repeators etc etc etc Hufff!! the list is long. By the way whose car is this by any chance TEAM BHPians? cool number as well. Another stunner here is Suren's car and yet to appear Shiva's I will ask them to take a snap this style.
Old 20th June 2010, 01:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
By the way whose car is this by any chance TEAM BHPians? cool number as well.
It's owned by Subhash Karmarkar, thefounder of FCCCI, Pune. It was a 1-owner car that he is said to have known from childhood and eventually purchased.
Old 20th June 2010, 01:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
It's owned by Subhash Karmarkar, thefounder of FCCCI, Pune. It was a 1-owner car that he is said to have known from childhood and eventually purchased.
Cool Car. Thanks Stanguru for the info. Is it still in the same condition or it has been restored. If so then we would love to see the outcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks