Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 17:24   #1

How much should I pay for a 74 mustang?

Hi!

I have been looking for a Mustang for some time now. Finally found one in a decent condition recently. The issue is the owner does not want to part with it. He keeps telling me to make an offer and wont quote his price.

The details of the car are:
  1. 1974 4 cylinder
  2. Looks in good condition.
So how much should I be willing to pay for it?

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While Mustangs are rare to come by, I still don't think this is the car for you. For one, the '74 would be a second generation Mustang that (IMHO) simply doesn't have the persona of the 1st gen. Being a 4 cylinder, it would have the base body style (and performance).

Price is the tricky bit. See, with such rare cars, there isn't a "right" price. The owner doesn't seem to be keen on selling it either. Whatever price the two of you are happy with (he in selling, you in buying) is "right".

P.S. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say 6 - 7 lakhs.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:22   #3
BHPian

i wouldnt call the 74 ' 4-banger a mustang. it was a castrated child of the oil crisis, 6-7 lakhs would be if you are in a good mood. like GTO says, buy it only if someone put a gun to your head; but then you could just claim bankruptcy and offer not more than a couple of lakhs. its a pretty worthless car IMO.
Old 12th September 2010, 16:42   #4

Thanks for the response guys.

I agree that the Mustang2 was not the most wanted or the preffered Mustang.

But I have been looking for a vintage/classic for over a year now and have not been able to find one which I am able to really connect to.

This 74 Mustang is in good condition and single owner. It was driven by him in sunny California before he imported it into India.

Since its the 4 cylinder it should be very easy to maintain and not much can go wrong with it.

It will be my Sunday cruise vehicle which is rare and has a history behind it.

Any suggestion for a substitute?

If you were in my position what would be a good price to pick it up?

Thanks.
Old 12th September 2010, 17:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ace, I dont understand this part :
Quote:
Ace6120 : Since its the 4 cylinder it should be very easy to maintain and not much can go wrong with it.
I dont think an engine being a 4-cyl or 6-cyl has that much to do with it's reliability. Or am I missing something ?
Old 12th September 2010, 18:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace6120 View Post
Hi!

I have been looking for a Mustang for some time now. Finally found one in a decent condition recently. The issue is the owner does not want to part with it. He keeps telling me to make an offer and wont quote his price.

The details of the car are:
  1. 1974 4 cylinder
  2. Looks in good condition.
So how much should I be willing to pay for it?

Thanks,

Ace.
Hey Karan is this the mustang which stays in dover lane?

Which colour is the car?Red?

Please post some pictures too.

Take Care & Drive Safe

Last edited by cityvic : 12th September 2010 at 18:10.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you were in my position what would be a good price to pick it up?

Thanks.
From my experience the maximum price such a car would sell in the US would be for 5000$ in good running condition. I would pay no more than that especially since its a 4 cylinder.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:01   #8
BHPian

There was one in bangalore , early 70's model , parked with a mechanic for long , his quote in 2006 was 75K , It was at a mechanic shed in BTM Layout , bangalore , it's been missing from last 2 years , any one has an idea who's got the car now , any one from Team-bhp!!!
ACE6120
I guess you should start it as low as possible , leave it for some time and give follow up calls .
Old 12th September 2010, 22:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
There was one in bangalore , early 70's model , parked with a mechanic for long , his quote in 2006 was 75K , It was at a mechanic shed in BTM Layout , bangalore , it's been missing from last 2 years , any one has an idea who's got the car now , any one from Team-bhp!!!
ACE6120
I guess you should start it as low as possible , leave it for some time and give follow up calls .
Are you sure it was the ford mustang, because there is one Ford Catana in BTM layout with a mechanic in his shed black in color,
Old 13th September 2010, 19:44   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I have been looking for a vintage/classic for over a year now and have not been able to find one which I am able to really connect to.

This 74 Mustang is in good condition and single owner. It was driven by him in sunny California before he imported it into India.

It will be my Sunday cruise vehicle which is rare and has a history behind it.
Hey, its you who has to own it & drive it. As long as you are happy, that's all that really counts . Pick her Mustang II up if you want it so bad.

Quote:
Any suggestion for a substitute?
How about a Classic Merc? A fintail? Equally special, easy to maintain. Lower down the food chain, a Beetle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont think an engine being a 4-cyl or 6-cyl has that much to do with it's reliability.
The more the cylinders, the more parts that engine has. If he had to overhaul the engine (not uncommon with such old cars), the 8 would require 2X the spares. Plus, the larger engined variants generally have beefed up suspensions, brakes etc. which would cost more to maintain.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:12   #11

Apologies for the late reply guys.

@Condor - In my limited knowledge I thought a 4 cylinder would be easier to maintain here in Kolkata as most Indian cars are 4 culinder to. Am I making sense here? :-)

@cityvic - no man its not the one in Doverlane. Don't think its a good idea to post pics till I have a deal with the owner. So we'll have to wait.

@the mole - Thanks man. But dont you think it would be more valueble here in India considering its raretiy?

@Gto - Thanks man. But no Classis Merc or Beetle for me. Its either this Mustang or another :-)

I sure hope I can get her.

Eeerrrr - guys one more thing.
Though its in good shape. But it may not have been ever registered in India. So what kind of issues am I looking at? (the owner is to get bak to me on the registration part)

Thanks,
Old 20th September 2010, 13:27   #12
BHPian

do you have any pictures of the car? it's hard to give you a price without looking at it.... to be quite honest with you those things aren't worth much at all.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Eeerrrr - guys one more thing.
Though its in good shape. But it may not have been ever registered in India. So what kind of issues am I looking at? (the owner is to get bak to me on the registration part)

Thanks,
i wouldnt touch this with a 10 foot pole, how do you know the owner is actually the owner, even if he is, how do you prove it if another claimant pops up, then you would have purchased stolen property. or disputed property at the very least
Old 21st September 2010, 13:37   #14
BHPian

according to me a realistic price ( looking at the current price trends ) would be around 8-10 lacs easy, if you really want to strike a deal
Today people are quoting 2 - 2.5L for Stan-Heralds. Though I agree with all comments above that a '74 mustang aint exactly a global collectible, it certainly is, in India. Depends on how badly you want it....and also how badly others want it.
However only if it some with all papers, else it just scrap

Last edited by cmdalvi : 21st September 2010 at 13:38. Reason: add
Old 1st March 2011, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Re: How much should I pay for a 74 mustang?

I know Mustangs reasonably well, I own a 1966. I can tell you the 1974 is not a desirable model, and was a poor handling underpowered car. Steering was loose, and suspension was floaty.

Just my two cents.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks