Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 16:14   #1
BANNED

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations

Hi All,

There are so many of my full fledged restoration stories here, but thought let me share few of my Quick restorations.

These cars come to me with few problems, like, not running well, has mileage issues, just been parked for a looooong time and not starting, or if some street smart mechanic would have screwed it up.

It takes 2 days for me to fix such cars, so thought will share it over here.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:58   #2
BANNED

1969 VW Baywindow Bus

The story goes like this.

PAVAN KADAM goes to Hyderabad, Though i was on my official visit, that did not deter me to see as many VW's the city had. And that too in a days time

My friend had come along, and we picked up a 1967 Split window Bus. later since we had time, had gone to see this Bus, myself unable to hold on to my excitement, got the mechanic to start the bus and straight i decide to drive it out from there. But....! i ran out of luck

The engine just puttered and the bus was never moving, frustrated i leave and come back.

Few months later, a doctor friend of mine ( Bangalore Beetle Club founder Member, and owner of many classics ) calls me to enquire about the baywindow i had seen.

I put him on to the right people there at Hyderabad. He leaves and instantly purchases the Bus and sends it to me.

In that 6 months, more damage was done than anything......!

1) Engine not running
2) Brakes not working
3) None of the Electricals worked.

Well, only 3 problems sure enough to put us through a grinding task. The doctor was not interested in cosmetic restoration. He only wanted it to run first.

We take 2 days, opened up each and every mechanical component, replaced plugs, oils and other necessary things.

Though it went on to the 3rd day, mainly because of the electricals, finally the Bus was ready and sprinting on the road.

I drove it to Doctor's house, along with him (28kms from my place) The the Bus is running well.

Though we have a bit of work to be done on the front discs, the part is ordered few days back, will arrive in 2 days time. Later, it will be complete mechanically.
Attached Thumbnails
Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-cimg5616.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p241009_13.49.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p241009_13.50.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p241009_13.50_01.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p241009_13.53.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p241009_13.54.jpg  

Old 17th September 2010, 17:03   #3
BHPian

Interesting thread Pavan, keep it flowing.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:18   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Interesting thread Pavan, keep it flowing.

Thank you, Since there are only few . I shall post one every day.

And BTW, this Blue bus is lot more original than mine.
Old 17th September 2010, 17:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Glued to this thread, Pavan. Do give us the daily dose and we will be a happy lot

for the work you do to restore the classics, and I always consider you as a very good example of 'Have Passion, will Do'. I am sure learning more and more from each thread of yours.

Last edited by theexperthand : 17th September 2010 at 17:49.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting thread !!
As it is, the number of classic restoration threads you're simultaneously running on this forum gets me (huff, puff.. !) out of breath.
And now you have even more up your sleeve !
Keep it up buddy, I'm glued.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:21   #7
BANNED

1967 VW Deluxe Splitwindow Bus

Thank you all for your kind words

Continuing from where i left of the Hyderabad Visit.

Day 1.

First thing in the morning, i finish my office work, and i had the whole day at my disposal.

Went around searching of the Doctor friend of mine (Dr Krishna Reddy) A wonderful and a noble soul, a true Automobile freak. I was thrilled to bits learning about his passion for Automobiles, which led to his acquisition's of 2 Mercedes Benz's a 1967 VW Split Bus (Obviously some guys had taken him for a ride, by doing a crap job twice in 2 yrs) and a 1950 Fiat Topolino (Which story is here on T-BHP )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-topolino.html

My friend zeroes in on the VW Bus which was in rather sad state, But the deal was done at his Hospital over 2 stumptous and tasty meal of the World Famous HYDERABADI BIRYAANI We made the payments, Dr. helped us through the RTA process and by evening got the vehicle loaded in the truck.

The car came to my usual unloading bay near my house, and work begins.

6 months and lots of effort , the car finally turned ORIGINAL. Not 100% but close to be one(Even the paint shade is original)

Some pics to feast on.

Sorry guys, the pics have not got posted in order... I wonder how and Why.......!
Attached Thumbnails
Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-cimg5770.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-cimg5773.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-dsc09608.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0345-1.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0349-1.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0388.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p180610_14.44_01.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0368.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-imag_0183.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0353-1.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-img_0360.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-37534_415194994210_550274210_4868806_6090290_n.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-38772_478229299895_554919895_6673988_3483002_n.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-cimg5742.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd September 2010 at 00:29.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A very neat restoration Job Pavan. I got a chance to see your VW Split Bus parked last Saturday behind your Yellow VW Microbus. It was a sight to see both of these beauties in full glory!
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. Very tastefully done. I have seen one earlier from you but both together and the specially the last picture is fantastic. Must be making you proud ha ? And the choice of vibrant colors and their combination is very good. Waiting for more.
Old 6th October 2010, 00:27   #10
BANNED

1970 VW Baywindow Bus

Thank you guys for kind words

Its not always easy pursuing such selfless passion, thing can get dirty some time.

Our Beetle club member and sometime ago a good friend of mine persuaded me into taking up his Bus restoration. But once the Bus came to the workshop, things started taking a nasty turn.

I was blamed for few missing parts from the vehicle (One's that were never there in it).

As my usual practice, i have a habit of removing each and every component of any car that comes for restoration and storing them carefully in cartons for future use, i started doing the same, but one fine day , my friend comes over to the workshop and creates unnecessary scene about the same. I reach the workshop to sort out things, he had vanished.

Last thing i remember was talking to him over the phone, telling him to come over and collect all the parts of his car and be done with it. The Bus left, and its a year since, i've heard about it.

Although this is a bit Off-Topic, but wanted people to know, selfless act many a times leads to lot of suspicion. and restoration is not an easy task as everyone thinks it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p261209_15.26.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p261209_15.26_01.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p261209_15.27.jpg  

Few of my Quick Fix Restorations-p261209_17.40.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks