Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 21:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Willy's Knight in India

This looks like a Roadster to me, maybe even a sports roadster, owing to the peculiar shape of the headlamps. It is a 1923-26 but more so 1925-26 because of the wheel design and the hood ornament cum radiator cap, not to mention the triple horizontal strip bumper.

Im guessing its a 1926 model 66 roadster.

This type of hood ornament with the Knight in his helmet with two horizontal bars is called "Knight on the dog bone"

This is a rare find and please let us know whatever history you can find about the car. May i add that its very very well preserved and that is a very welcome sight.

Last edited by V-16 : 12th September 2011 at 21:15.
Old 13th September 2011, 08:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

The center knob or pedal could be a starter and the bottom flat one could be the accelerator.

Some clearer snaps of the body and sides and rear if possible. which part of the country is this car ?
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Dear wasif Sir

There are two point circled in below picture. you mean that one of them is accelerator ( off course pedal is missing ) than what;s the use of other one. I remember me and dad tried to move both and one was connected to accelerator but i not sure for what other one was . we both were not able to trace it ..
I have no idea when the car run last . most probabaly she is lying like that for 10 + yrs now . excellent thing is that she is stored properly and jawans make sure that she is well taken care of .

On a separate Note :
- any ideas where can i find the chasis no / info sheet on this car. usually cars from that era come with a metal plate riveted to the chassis . if i can find out that info , most probably we can find out the actual history of the car.

Attachment 608086
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 10:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

That car looks more like a four door Tourer to me.

Kasli....The center knob is actually the accelerator and that bracket below it is where you rest your heel when you are driving.

Your toes press the knob to accelerate the car.

I think it is a 1927 Model 66 A as the air intake and the head light surrounds point to it being a 66 Series

Here is a link to the WORK Club showing the Sleeve valve engine in detail

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...ery/wk_78c.htm

Here is the link to the club home page, you should sign up with them and get them to guide you on where to find the engine / chassis number and once you have them maybe the club can help you get the early history of the car.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/wokr/index.cfm

Last edited by wasif : 13th September 2011 at 11:03.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 16:48   #19
BHPian

What a rare find and that too in original well preserved condition. Yes, Daimler's and Minerva's too used sleeve valve engines; Daimler till a certain point and I think Minerva right till the end.

I have read in books that sleeve valve engines were far smoother than conventional poppet valve engines in use at the time, though the former consumed much more engine oil and left a trace of blue smoke from the exhaust as the car went along

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 11:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Willys Knight Regestry feels its a 25 to 26 66 Series Willys Knight.

Those triangular headlamp surrounds are peculiar to the Model 66 and 66A only.

The actual year can only be confirmed once the Chassis / Engine numbers are found.

I am trying to get them to advice where to look for the numbers.

The chassis number starts with the model number so it should read 66 - or 66A -

The model 70 had just a 113.25 inch wheelbase whereas the 66 had a 126 inch wheelbase so it's a bigger vehicle.

The chassis number identifying chart is on this link below

[COLOR=#810081]www.wokr.org/gallery/WK_HIST.HTM[/COLOR]
Old 14th September 2011, 18:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

The car is most definitely a 1926 Model 66.

The ngine number would be on a small plate attached to teh lower crankcase just left of the carburetor. If teh plate is missing there will be four small holes showing where it was mounted and if you gently scrape teh paint between the holes teh number will be found stamped into the metal as well.

The chassis number can be found on the following places.

1. A small aluminum tag 3/4" tall by 1 1/2" long should be behind the left front wheel attached to the chassis.

2. Second tag should be found attached on top of the right rear frame rail about 12" up from the spring hanger.

3 Third plate should be attached to the seat frame under the the front or rear seat cushions.

I a sure you should be able to find atleast one of the chassis plates so please have a look and lt us know what engine / chassis numer turns up !

Happy hunting !
Old 15th September 2011, 02:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
This looks like a Roadster to me, maybe even a sports roadster, owing to the peculiar shape of the headlamps. It is a 1923-26 but more so 1925-26 because of the wheel design and the hood ornament cum radiator cap, not to mention the triple horizontal strip bumper.
Quote:
Im guessing its a 1926 model 66 roadster.

This type of hood ornament with the Knight in his helmet with two horizontal bars is called "Knight on the dog bone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The car is most definitely a 1926 Model 66.
Thanks for confirming my doubts Wasif. Its comforting to know my years at looking for the rare oddity here and there weren't wasted

It would be interesting to know what cars came with the triple strip bumper at that era. Surely there must be something.

Last edited by V-16 : 15th September 2011 at 02:55.
Old 15th September 2011, 05:11   #23
BHPian

I think the throttle is in the steering wheel itself. Cars of similar vintage often had such controls. If you look at the picture, there are two slider controls on the steering wheel, one for ignition advance/retard, and another that's labeled open/close. My guess is that this is the accelerator.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Cars of this period always had two ways to accelerate, the standard or normal way was with the foot accelerator pedal (which in this period was always between the cluth and brake pedals) and once on the move you could use the hand lever to set the speed after which you could lift your foot off the actual accelerator pedal.

It ca be considered as an early form of cruise control.

The reason these cars featured an accelerator lever on the steerings is thant most of them would need to be had cranked to start and if you were alone it would be a nightmare to simultanously crank the car and hit the gas pedal so you set the lever to open the throttle a little bit and then cranked the car to start it.

V 16 ....your knowledge is encyclopedic .....will try to see what I can turn up on those bumpers !
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Cars of this period always had two ways to accelerate, the standard or normal way was with the foot accelerator pedal (which in this period was always between the cluth and brake pedals) and once on the move you could use the hand lever to set the speed after which you could lift your foot off the actual accelerator pedal.

It ca be considered as an early form of cruise control.

The reason these cars featured an accelerator lever on the steerings is thant most of them would need to be had cranked to start and if you were alone it would be a nightmare to simultanously crank the car and hit the gas pedal so you set the lever to open the throttle a little bit and then cranked the car to start it.

V 16 ....your knowledge is encyclopedic .....will try to see what I can turn up on those bumpers !
Nice info there, my fiat also have a similar function pull knob on the centre of the dashboard, the early form of cruise control.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:46   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Apologies for being off this thread gents. works taking it;s toll . posting some more Pics.Nice to get some Knowledge about this Beauty.

few more pictures of the engine bay , a closer look at the Tyre. definitely not original but can some body identify that trade mark in second picture and last one is the Back Side. it;s a 2 door .
Attached Thumbnails
Willy's Knight in India-img_4357.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4358.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4359.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4360.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4361.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4362.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4363.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4364.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4365.jpg  

Willy's Knight in India-img_4366.jpg  

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 15th September 2011 at 21:52. Reason: added comments
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 16:32   #27
BHPian

Interesting Thread and Iteresting Find. Would love to know the status of the vehicle as of now, and some more pictures if possible.
Old 13th March 2013, 07:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

Here's how the advertised the Willys Knight back in the day:

Willy's Knight in India-willys_knight.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th March 2013 at 07:33.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 18:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited Ranchi earlier this week and met a very dear friend who showed me his fully restored Willys Knight, 6 cylinder 1929 model. The car had been purchased from new by his paternal grandfather in 1929 and has stayed with the family since then for 93 years. He has restored the car with the support of a local vintage car restoration expert. I wonder how many Willys Knights are there in India. Probably not more than a handful. The photos were taken in their basement parking and do not do justice to the immaculate condition of the restoration. The car retains its original engine. It has just finished its restoration.

Willy's Knight in India-img202209291620022.jpg
Side profile. Those rear hinged doors look so comfortable and practical.

Willy's Knight in India-img202209291620172.jpg
Frontal view. If you zoom you can see the name on the red badge

Willy's Knight in India-img202209291620452.jpg
Mr & Mrs Sinha proudly pose with their lovingly preserved heirloom

Last edited by V.Narayan : 30th September 2022 at 18:38.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 01:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Visited Ranchi earlier this week and met a very dear friend who showed me his fully restored Willys Knight, 6 cylinder 1929 model.
Thank you for sharing these pictures V.Narayan
I have a question. How do the owners of Vintage cars obtain their tyres? I tried zooming in on your shared pictures but couldn't find a modern make on the tyres or rather wasn't able to tell on the pictures.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks