Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-12.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 809163)
Jeep: I am entirely in agreement with you, Sir. Their hegemonies and excesses are probably precisely why they are history. Exactly why the Government abolished the privy purse too but, cars are cars, and we salute them, not necessarily their erstwhile owners (who also went about decimating our fauna for photo-opportunities).
There's a similar stirring vis-a-vis the Taj Mahal that's adored around the world as a symbol of love- not many know that Shah Jehan had the artisans' hand cut off after it was completed.

lets stick to cars here, and preferably authenticated historical facts, avoiding serious discussion on legends, based on figments of imagination, whether they be chopped hands of artisans, or even duesenbergs slung between elephants.
im sure there would be plenty of forums on the internet for political discussion, this certainly is not one.
i find your posts offensive because some of my finest friends belong to erstwile royalty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 809731)
lets stick to cars here, and preferably authenticated historical facts, avoiding serious discussion on legends, based on figments of imagination, whether they be chopped hands of artisans, or even duesenbergs slung between elephants.
im sure there would be plenty of forums on the internet for political discussion, this certainly is not one.
i find your posts offensive because some of my finest friends belong to erstwile royalty.

Couldn't agree more. I was resisting (have since I became a member) getting involved in these discussions.

The only reason I joined was to hopefully be able to share some info on those wonderful machines from our past! Let us stick to cars please!!!!!!

Damn Brits:), Damn Maharajas but cars only is good. I agree with you both entirely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 809783)
Damn Brits:), Damn Maharajas but cars only is good. I agree with you both entirely.

Those Brits (pardon me Julian) sure brought the railways, the telegraph and some interesting cars to Indiaclap:

Austin 20 H.P. in Kashmir and a RR by Cann (circa 1914):

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-india-cars.jpg

Some Gondal cars.

Gondal Palaces

A period photo of the 300SL roadster here, still with original headlights.

Gondal Palaces

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 810475)
Those Brits (pardon me Julian) sure brought the railways, the telegraph and some interesting cars to Indiaclap:

Austin 20 H.P. in Kashmir and a RR by Cann (circa 1914):

Attachment 11491

But the Maharajas brought far more interesting cars to India:)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-cann.jpg
Source from a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of an ancient Flying lady magazine so old no one is ever going to bother about it:)

[quote=travancore;807153]Since many of us seem to love cars and elephants, here are two views of a 1937 Packard Super Eight, body by Rollston (Maharaja of Gwalior)
Fodder for more fables....

Packard 1937 Maharaja of Datia ( in Madhya Pradesh). Colour scarlet-red.

This is owned by sirohi maharaj.

[quote=Chhayanat;813641]
Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 807153)
Since many of us seem to love cars and elephants, here are two views of a 1937 Packard Super Eight, body by Rollston (Maharaja of Gwalior)
Fodder for more fables....

Welcome back Chhayanat :)
Was the Packard also carried out of a jungle by 1000 camels, sorry, elephants?:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chhayanat (Post 813641)

Could this perhaps be the same car? Currently with the Goenka family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 813749)

WOW!!! A 56 studebaker president! Haven't seen this model here before!
P.S: Its got commander wheelcaps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 813865)
WOW!!! A 56 studebaker president! Haven't seen this model here before!
P.S: Its got commander wheelcaps!

Heres one we see at Pune rallies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 813749)

Any pics of the Chevy next to it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 813904)
Any pics of the Chevy next to it?

impala is not in good condition.. These are taken by camera phone. will take good shots with proper cam, next time I visit them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 794740)
The Idar Farman also went to Bharatpur

Tranancore, this is for you:)
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-farman.jpg