Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-7.html)

Some more Daimler photos

Apologies for my extremely poor photography.

The Rolls Royce 20 hp
Restoration completed 2002
A sweet little “Baby Rolls Royce” as they were called.
1923 RR 20 hp Ex Maharaja of Udaipur (Original photo in Faisal’s book on Twenty horse powers)
After 1 ½ year restoration
New pistons/cylinder rebore
New main and big end white metalling,
Camshaft re ground in UK
New lifter rollers/pins.
Rocker bushes/rocker shaft reground
Cylinder head and block retubed after internal cleaning (they all clog up with rust and sediment. (Essential, a hell of a job)
New Gearbox and differential bearings.
New clutch linings/New driven clutch plate (UK)
Water pump rebushed new shaft and rotor
New prop shaft coupling bushes
New wheel bearings
New Brake linings/drums reground.
New tyres spokes freed retightened and trued.
New fuel tank using all original fittings
Rewired
All rotten wood replaced
Very complex door hinges repinned
Chassis straightened, blasted and zinc metal sprayed.
New hood frame wood members steamed and bent/German hooding material.
All replaced parts supplied by Fiennes engineering uk
Every original part, nut, bolt, washer logged, photographed and replaced in its original place.

But there is a lovely ex Maharaja of Udaipur 20hp in Calcutta which has the original factory made hands only controls conversion and another one here:
Rolls-Royce Twenty "Maharani von Udaipur" 1922
This site also has some interesting photos:
Roop Gills Classic Motorcycles/The_Rajas
Any Indian motorcycle fans have a look here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...4-indians.html

I got the two colour photos from a gentleman in Pakistan who said this 1930-31 Cadillac V-16 belonged to his family. I believe it is a custom job by Van den Plas that was built by Lancefield in London, UK (see B&W photo). Does anyone know this car, or its current whereabouts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 726051)
I have never seen the car, but had read about it in a Parsee community magazine years ago. I have no idea what happened to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 728925)
Here is the Bahwalpur 540K. This car was offered for sale on ebay some time back, and this is what I can recollect from the description.

Completely original, the car had covered a genuine documented 5395 miles. Still in original paint, Engelbert tyres, headliner, carpets, door panels etc. Only the seat bottoms were redone in the 60s. The car was exported in the 60s from the family to Germany. The German continued to maintain the car in timewarp condition, and he was offering it for sale in the USA recently, making it a genuine 2 owner car.

karl they had another mercedes... no idea where it is now, if it even survives... thats the car to have.... its an SSK drophead coupe by i think, Windovers!!

One of the most comprehensive compilations of the cars owned by Indian Maharajas is the "Automobiles of the Maharajas " by Manvendra Singh of Barwani. ISBN : 8190060287. Rs. 3500/-

Here is a picture of the Lanchester 40/50 as it left the factory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veesixteen (Post 735575)
I got the two colour photos from a gentleman in Pakistan who said this 1930-31 Cadillac V-16 belonged to his family.....Does anyone know this car, or its current whereabouts?

@veesixteen
The photos you've posted above and this one that Karl posted
ImageShack - Hosting :: v1601pe2.jpg
are the same car and belonged to the Nawab of Bahawalpur

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 371454)
Ah, R 8818...silver ghost of Sir Michael Kadoorie of the peninsula hotel...he recently ordered 14, yes 14 phantoms for the hotel...quite a spectacle, all long wheel base, in trademark peninsula green...

When I was a student in Hongkong, a group of us pooled in money to use a Peninsula Hotel Rolls for a ride from the airport. They had a fleet of Silver Shadows then, all painted the same colour.

Are you 100% sure? Does anyone know where the car is currently located. The gentleman who contacted me said he was trying to get it back, for his family. We have since lost touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar (Post 737550)
@veesixteen
The photos you've posted above and this one that Karl posted
ImageShack - Hosting :: v1601pe2.jpg
are the same car and belonged to the Nawab of Bahawalpur

Daimlers and Lanchester
Some more India car images for those without other means of enjoying them for innocent educational purpose... A friend sent them to me, not sure where they came from...
Can anyone identify these 3 photos?

I think these photos of the magnificent Alwar Lanchester 40/50 should all be together for the first time...

Picture Source : Daimler Century by Lord Montagu and David Burgess-Wise

Moderator's note: Images deleted per user's request

Man these are fabulous photos. Look closely at the last picture you can see the photographer and his camera reflecting in the carriage like its a mirror!

A REAL Bentley, a 6 1/2 litre, any ideas anyone?

Picture Source : Bentley Factory cars 1919 -1931 by Michael Hay

Moderator's note: Images deleted per user's request

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 763117)
A REAL Bentley, a 6 1/2 litre, any ideas anyone?

Coo! What a monster, complete with a Lalique hood ornament no less. Bhogilal had a couple of blower Bentleys.

This book is too expensive & has Rolls Royces in all shapes & colors. Too much of these Rolls

Heres another gem, the 1921 Idar Farman A6B Super Sport

Farman A6B Super Sport, 1921 A6B Super Sport | Conceptcarz.com - Pictures, Pricing, Information, Wallpaper, History