Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 04:55   #1
BHPian

The vintage cars in the Queenie film 1986

This is in 1986 when a certain Lagonda M45 owner in Delhi (one of the major driving forces of the vintage car movement since the beginning in Delhi) and I took a dozen Delhi cars down to Jaipur for 6 weeks for the filming of a US TV film called “Queenie” Queenie (1987) (TV)
The life of Merl Auberon, an Anglo Indian film actress Merle Oberon
Had to take them by truck as in those days some of the cars were not quite as sorted as their owners believed them to be..
So 6 weeks of hard graft unfolded, trying to get 12 cars running and ready for film sets miles away at 7 am every day. (Not my best time of day)
The nicest car, unfortunately all the best photos have gone astray over the years, was the beautiful Derby Bentley 4 ¼ French body (fastback) of the Maharani of Jaipur (Gayatri Devi). It was totally original and ran beautifully, lovingly maintained by her awesome driver who polished the “dashpots” of its SU carbs daily with great care. (I presume the needles were still straight..) I drove the RR Phantom II Limo (now in Delhi) in the film which I’d extricated from a garage in the University of Jaipur, got it running, and the film chaps gave it an instant paint job to tidy it up and and the much loved and respected Delhi Lagonda owner drove his 1923 RR Silver Ghost Hooper torpedo tourer (the same one as in the Gandhi film) in the film as well. Hilarious dramas unfolded throughout the film a lot of which was at the Ram Bagh Hotel.
Yes 6 weeks of filming resulted in about 30 seconds of actual car shots in the film. But we all got to wear pugris and I earned 200Rs a day ha ha.

The RR Phantom II 1934? I drove

The same in the University campus.

Backsides of the Ghost and a Cadillac and a Packard. Damn American trucks Ha Ha.

The lovely 30s Lancia Astura, which was still in Delhi at the time. Had a brief drive, lively but this one rattled a bit. Lancia Astura Pictures

Cadillac from Jaipur, Ghost and elephants in the Ram Bagh Hotel

American truck in the compound

1920 RR Silver Ghost 40/50 Hooper torpedo tourer on the Gurgaon Road just south of Delhi.

Lancia, Stupid Chrysler Royal, RR PII and the Maharani’s Bentley and the Cadillac truck under a cover. Ghost in the background.

[FONT=Arial]That RR PII was like a truck too…Ha Ha.[/FONT]
Julian UK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2008, 10:16   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

You are without a doubt a veritable treasure trove. Thanks again for sharing. Is the 34 Packard the Delhi car too?

Last edited by DKG : 27th February 2008 at 10:19. Reason: to prevent one more post
Old 27th February 2008, 22:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You are without a doubt a veritable treasure trove. Thanks again for sharing. Is the 34 Packard the Delhi car too?
yes the packard is a delhi car, recently sold to a friend of mine.
Old 27th February 2008, 23:00   #4
BHPian

I must apologize for not writing much but the time I have spare has been spent in scanning, hosting and uploading etc which takes time. Some more to come though the most exotic stuff is getting thin now.
Regards
Julian
Old 27th February 2008, 23:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes the packard is a delhi car, recently sold to a friend of mine.
And if I remember its crank/main bearing/big end bearings were very loose then and it had already had metal filed off the bearing caps to reduce the play (UGH!!) It needs remetalling and crank grinding. It used to smoke a bit as well. The whole engine needs rebuliding.
Old 28th February 2008, 00:20   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
And if I remember its crank/main bearing/big end bearings were very loose then and it had already had metal filed off the bearing caps to reduce the play (UGH!!) It needs remetalling and crank grinding. It used to smoke a bit as well. The whole engine needs rebuliding.
Yikes!!! That is a total NO NO with Packards. Under no circumstances can you use shims or worse fiddle with bearing caps to reduce play. All manuals strongly recommend against any such ploy. The best option is to source new bearings, they are available from the US and only if you have no option must you consider re-metalling.

However I am not too sure about the quality of re-metalling done here in India. I doubt if the bigger bearing manufactures would indulge us on some remetalling.
Old 28th February 2008, 01:08   #7
BHPian

Fry - Altoona, PA USA

Fry's metals bearing white metal was available in Delhi from their outlet. As long as you personally buy it and have it done in front of you, in the right place its ok, I've had it done many many times in Delhi and its the same stuff you buy in the UK. I just never trusted anyone to buy it and you must see it melted in front of your eyes. The machining being done on new equipment is as much of an issue. Too many machine shops have worn out machinery.
Old 13th March 2023, 14:01   #8

Re: The vintage cars in the Queenie film 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
This is in 1986 when a certain Lagonda M45 owner in Delhi (one of the major driving forces of the vintage car movement since the beginning in Delhi) and I took a dozen Delhi cars down to Jaipur for 6 weeks for the filming of a US TV film called “Queenie” Queenie (1987) (TV)
Hi Julian,

By any chance, do you still have the picture of the first blue car you have posted. It's a Chevrolet I believe. I am unable to see these pictures because the post is very old.

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd April 2023 at 02:59. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 17th March 2023, 04:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.ARPIT View Post

By any chance, do you still have the picture of the first blue car you have posted.
The vintage cars in the Queenie film 1986-packard-super-eight-1934-queenie-movie-tbhp.jpg

It is a Packard (1934 Super Eight, I believe). Registered DHL-67 in the movie.

Last edited by travancore : 17th March 2023 at 04:51.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 01:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The vintage cars in the Queenie film 1986-packard-super-eight-1934-queenie-movie-frt-3q-l.jpg

The Packard as seen in the movie "Queenie"
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks