Team-BHP - Morris 8
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Morris 8 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/41901-morris-8-a-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 2124619)
Dear Raj Bajwa - the green morris MAR9827 is owned by our very well respected Parsi priest of the Vatcha Gandhi Agiary Mr.Aspi Dadachanji. This car has been with him since new and he has travelled with it all over the place, including Sri Lanka. It is maintained by his son Marespand Dadachanji. It is in absolutely pristine condition and has featured in all vintage rallies and won numerous awards. This car is an ICON OF OUR COMMUNITY IN IT'S OWN RIGHT. This is the way a classic car must be kept.

You can see its picture on page 1 of this thread.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks Dhabhar. I am an auto afficiando and love to maintain my cars. I was impressed with this car and I have immense respect for your community for the way you take care of your vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by morris1948 (Post 2125201)
Dear Behram , Thankyou very much for your kind comments i am humbled.
This is the car that started my love affair with old cars and has got me to what ever i am today , its all thanks to this car. We took the car by road to Srilanka in 1980 when my father was posted as a priest there , he drove down from nagpur to hyderabad, banglore , mysore , mandapam from there in a train to rameshwaram and from there in a ferry to talaiminar on the tip of srilanka.[ pl. excuse my spellings of the places] and further on to Colombo and again drove down to [Navsari gujrat] in 1982. I have a paper cutting of the trip which i will scan and put up sometime.
Thanks,
Marespand.

Marespand,
I hope you are cool with me taking a picture of your car and posting it online without permission. My in-laws have an apartment in Hilla Towers Parel. On Sunday Oct 3rd I was there and spotted your car in the complex. I waited for some time for you. I was super impressed to see a morris of this age to be in such an excellent condition. I later got to know about you and your car by researching online and also my wife's uncle - Soli Bhathena. You and your father truly deserve all the accolades and awards for maintaining a Morris 8 so well.

saw this Morris eight in standing condition in Tamil nadu

A neat pre-war Morris 8 spotted in Bombay.

Morris 8-02.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 1415984)
A pre war Morris 8 can be found here. Is this car known to anyone?

Prewar Morris Minor - a set on Flickr

Hello,

Well, actually the car is a 1934 Morris Minor SV 4 seater Touring. I got it a few years back and its still a work in progress, but we managed to sort out all the mechanicals and it runs like wonderfully. The flickr photos is were an attempt to figure out what was not original and most of the parts are now replaced with original parts. Much cosmetic restoration remains to be done, including the hood and the interior, but I have since got all the original meters and fittings. Here are a few photo and a video of what the car looks like today. Find the video here:
1934 Morris Minor SV Touring - YouTube

I was looking for tyres for my Morris 8. original tyre size 450 x17 is no longer manufactured/ available. Someone suggested Motorcycle tyres size 120/70-17,
which he says is equivalent to 450 x 17.

Can our experienced, learned and esteemed BHPIANS confirm this based on size, ply rating, treads etc.

Venkrish, Ive seen people running their cars on 120/70-17 motorcycle tyres wothout any problem. Although it gets the job done, it really looks out of place.
I came across an advert on olx for 4 used but good condition tyres for sale in HYD. I believe they were priced at around 7k a pop. Please check. I cant access olx from office or i would have posted a link for you.

How much do you guys think a morris 8 in 'good' condition would cost now a days? Decent paint job, strong body, smooth running motor, clean interiors, intact documents with expired fitness and some non-OE parts here and there. Something similar to the one in post #57. Looking for a ballpark figure please. :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post1730177

thanks james,

i thought about using 120x70 - 17 motorcycle tyres , but decided against it.

the bike tyres have weaker sidewalls and lesser ply rating and hence will not be able to take the extra load of the car and this would make a substantial difference in the ride quality .

i do not know if my reasoning was right , as some people are using these tyres on their cars.

i however managed to get 4 good tyres 450 x 17 tyres for my car , and restoration is under progress.

thanks once again for your inputs.

Spotted this old Morris car at one of the detailers at my hometown Anand.

Mods: I don't know the exact model and year of this car so posted in Morris 8 thread. Please move it to the appropriate thread.

Morris 8-1.jpg

Morris 8-2.jpg

Morris 8-3.jpg

Morris 8-4.jpg

Morris 8-5.jpg

Dear Friends,
A friend of mine is in the process of restoring a Morris 8 Series E in Bangalore. The current front grill has been soldered, but that has not been done properly. Could someone here please suggest any point of contact in Bangalore to get this rectified or also if there is a possibility to get a new grill ?
Details are listed in the attached picture.

Regards,
Rohan Shetty

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 2124619)
Dear Raj Bajwa - the green morris MAR9827 is owned by our very well respected Parsi priest of the Vatcha Gandhi Agiary Mr.Aspi Dadachanji. This car has been with him since new and he has travelled with it all over the place, including Sri Lanka. It is maintained by his son Marespand Dadachanji. It is in absolutely pristine condition and has featured in all vintage rallies and won numerous awards. This car is an ICON OF OUR COMMUNITY IN IT'S OWN RIGHT. This is the way a classic car must be kept.

Behram Dhabhar

Dasturji Asphandiar Dadachanji has expired today...RIP...🙏

Morris 8-fb_img_1634911094735.jpg

Name:  FB_IMG_1634911088198.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  54.9 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 5179251)
Dasturji Asphandiar Dadachanji has expired today...RIP...��

My prayers for the departed soul. Heartfelt condolences to Marespand and all family members for the very sad loss.

The car MAR 9827 was featured in the film "Shaukeen" in which actor Utpal Dutt is seen driving the car as a landlord.

I have seen the car in person and have quite a few memorable pictures of it clicked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5179281)
My prayers for the departed soul. Heartfelt condolences to Marespand and all family members for the very sad loss.

The car MAR 9827 was featured in the film "Shaukeen" in which actor Utpal Dutt is seen driving the car as a landlord.

I have seen the car in person and have quite a few memorable pictures of it clicked.

Are you sure it was the same car? As in the movie the car has BMZ plates. Indeed a super special car and family for the community.

Name:  m802.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  61.1 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz (Post 5179251)
Dasturji Asphandiar Dadachanji has expired today...RIP...��

Some more information passed on by Mr Shahrukh Cassad about Mr Dasturji Dadachanji and his passion for vintages :-

Quote:

Mr Ervad Aspandiar Dadadchanji passed away on Friday, 22nd Oct. 2021.

He was the High Priest of our Nagpur Agiary during the 1970s. His love for motorcycles, cars and road travels was well known amongst his friends. His Morris ( MAR 9827) was bought from Mr. Cawas Poacha, Grandfather of Mr. Khushroo Poacha of indianblooddonors.com and Seva Kitchen. Its original number was BYJ 1311.

Ervad Dadadchanji travelled in this Morris with his wife and two young sons to Rameshwaram from where he shipped the car to Colombo, the place of his new posting. Years later when he came to Bombay this Morris was reregistered as MAR 9827. He also had a Matchless 3.5 hp with a sidecar when he was in Nagpur. In the 1980s, he bought a Morris low light 1948 ( BYJ 3639) which had belonged to Mr. Brahmadutt of Western Book Depot, Sadar.

May His soul rest in eternal peace.

(regret the error, this car did not feature in the Hindi film Shaukeen as was inadvertently posted in a trailing post)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5180692)
Some more information passed on by Mr Shahrukh Cassad about Mr Dasturji Dadachanji and his passion for vintages :-

Its original number was BYJ 1311.

A small correction - the original number was BYJ 1113, and subsequently Gujarat registered before getting the MAR registration. Dasturji's meticulous hand written notes of all travels over the years remain in the glovebox even today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 5179281)

Some pictures clicked on 21st and 22nd October 2017 during the pursuance of the 2000 + kms Rudyard Kipling Drive 2017, by the Mumbai vintage fraternity wherein Mr Marespand with his MAR 9827 was a participant :-

Morris 8-img_20171119_185925856.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_190109689.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_185918018.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_190202691.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_185946582.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_185932471.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_190439470.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_185957442.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_185938521.jpg

Morris 8-img_20171119_190155889.jpg

Morris 8-dscn0030.jpg

Morris 8-dscn0024.jpg