Team-BHP - Harley Davidson's in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Harley Davidson's in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/44827-harley-davidsons-india.html)

This is a 1917 Harley Davidson at Nagpur a part of the family heirloom for a family-won't name it they like privacy.The bike has a sidecar which is seen,has a V-2(cylinder) engine that sometimes overheats after running a few kilometers but had completed the 2007 Nagpur Rally (42 Kms) as the oldest participating vehicle.
It runs 7 kms for a litre of petrol!! More pictures later.
Harley Davidson's in India-harley-1.jpg

wow. this looks mean. the handles are sooo simple and devoid of any other thing.
BTW, what's the 2 discreet wires coming from the handles? accelerator/brake?

:Shockked:1917. And still running and giving 7kmpl. Wow that so great. Appreciate the family for maintaining it and still USING it. :)

Theres a Harley which I presume is late thirties to mid forties, owned by Arjun Khanna the designer. I have pics of the car which I shall post later. Thats another well restored machine.
Incidently Arjun is an ardent vintage and classic bike collector.
Gurus should be able to specify the year and model of that Harley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 956314)
Theres a Harley which I presume is late thirties to mid forties, owned by Arjun Khanna the designer. I have pics of the car which I shall post later.

Wow, a Harley Davidson car! That must be a rarity indeed.:D

its a bike Karl not a car that Arjun Khanna has. it is a typo by Gogi bhai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 956505)
its a bike Karl not a car that Arjun Khanna has. it is a typo by Gogi bhai.

Indeed. Thank you Speedy. Though I was merely pointing out Gogi's typo in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 956535)
Indeed. Thank you Speedy. Though I was merely pointing out Gogi's typo in the first place.

opps stupid:, i thought otherwise.

there used to someone in Bombay having a vintage Harley Davidson that my father knew. i shall ask him to find the pictures of it.
Mr.B hogilal too had a couple of Harleys. some with side car and some without. there was one model which had a side car and reverse gear, it used to stand or rather stacked in his godown. i shall try and see if we have any pictures of them.

@ speedy - I think you bought a 1932 Harley sometime back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -GS- (Post 956730)
@ speedy - I think you bought a 1932 Harley sometime back.

yes bought and sold too. i had posted its picture also on the forum. will look for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 955839)
wow. this looks mean. the handles are sooo simple and devoid of any other thing.
BTW, what's the 2 discreet wires coming from the handles? accelerator/brake?

One is accelerator & the other one is to manually advance/retard the magnetto timing.

More pictures of this 1917 Harley
Harley Davidson's in India-harley-2.jpg

Harley Davidson's in India-harley3.jpg

Harley Davidson's in India-harley-4.jpg

Harley Davidson's in India-harley-5.jpg

The 1917 61 cu. in. Model J looks like a nice bike, but it should have bead edged rims/tyres its been fitted with Bullet rims? and the saddle has been changed and the toolbox is missing. The sidecar frame is original but the sidecar has been changed from the original Rogers sidecar.

Here is a early 40s Model U 74 cu.in. HD in Kasmiri gate in about 1979. I seems to have a fairground ride sidecar.
Harley Davidson's in India-hd-model-u-1940-kashmiri-gate-delhi.jpg
Photo by me.

[quote=Julian UK;957162]The 1917 61 cu. in. Model J looks like a nice bike, but it should have bead edged rims/tyres its been fitted with Bullet rims? and the saddle has been changed and the toolbox is missing. The sidecar frame is original but the sidecar has been changed from the original Rogers sidecar.

Not to miss, the kick rachet is broken,with the kick pedal hanging down

Incidentally I recall this same bike was featured (maybe from this very rally?) in an Indian auto mag. years ago!