Team-BHP - A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/52733-1934-fiat-other-pre-1950-fiats.html)

I think this is my first thread in the vintage section, but here goes:

A gentleman has emailed us with the following 6 pictures. Car is apparently for sale as well. Looks like shes going to require some restoration work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1152053)
I think this is my first thread in the vintage section, but here goes:

A gentleman has emailed us with the following 6 pictures. Car is apparently for sale as well. Looks like shes going to require some restoration work.

And this car comes with an accessory, a brush to clean the radiator!

Seriously, this car has had an alteration made to the Radiator, originally it should have been honeycomb type. And the replaced core is smaller.
Pictures of the side view and interior would be appreciated, and also the engine bay.
What is he asking?

I dont intend to hurt anybody here but the moment I saw the pics, I got think of what a fellow bhpian say "a rust bucket".

BTW, this thread can be merged with classics available or rust in pieces thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkr2k2 (Post 1152446)
I dont intend to hurt anybody here but the moment I saw the pics, I got think of what a fellow bhpian say "a rust bucket".

BTW, this thread can be merged with classics available or rust in pieces thread.

Sir, you are indeed kind about the hurting part. :)

But jokes apart, this does not appear to be a rust bucket. Before we get into discussion, let me explain. A rust bucket is one where the metal has corroded, will require you to cut the metal out and replace a new panel. This car must be lying in the interiors, at least away from coastal humidity. So the paint got weathered off, the car is NOT corroded. Please see carefully. In fact this is a solid car with substance which will require full restoration, but minimal tinwork as seen in these pictures. What you see indeed is largely the bare metal and maybe some remnants of the primer, the paint is completely faded away. I would not hesitate to take this on, the project depends on the mechanicals etc. which we do not see.

About the thread, well the BOSS should know where to post such pictures. I see this as a new thread for a 1934 FIAT.

I am highlighting this about the rust bucket because this error is made by many when they see pictures of such cars while the project is actually not so bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 1152543)
Sir, you are indeed kind about the hurting part. :)

But jokes apart, this does not appear to be a rust bucket. Before we get into discussion, let me explain. A rust bucket is one where the metal has corroded, will require you to cut the metal out and replace a new panel. This car must be lying in the interiors, at least away from coastal humidity. So the paint got weathered off, the car is NOT corroded. Please see carefully. In fact this is a solid car with substance which will require full restoration, but minimal tinwork as seen in these pictures. What you see indeed is largely the bare metal and maybe some remnants of the primer, the paint is completely faded away. I would not hesitate to take this on, the project depends on the mechanicals etc. which we do not see.

About the thread, well the BOSS should know where to post such pictures. I see this as a new thread for a 1934 FIAT.

I am highlighting this about the rust bucket because this error is made by many when they see pictures of such cars while the project is actually not so bad.

Thanks harit for your words. Such beauties need to be restored and move on roads.Fiat cars of the pre-WW II era are rare at least in India.I remember reading an article in Indian Auto in the 1980's or early 1990's where a full sized tree had grown from through the floor-board of a 1920's Fiat parked for decades just like that. The car was restored by an enthusiast.

Rust bucket or not definately a intresting project:), Harit do you know of similar restored cars in Bombay?

Harit, that was bang on target! I am one of those who dont know anything about classics other than few bits about standard herald(that too thanks to stanher). Never the less, I could extract some thoughts out of you.:D

What is the asking price?

IIRC, the gentleman quoted 3 lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkr2k2 (Post 1152736)
Harit, that was bang on target! I am one of those who dont know anything about classics other than few bits about standard herald(that too thanks to stanher). Never the less, I could extract some thoughts out of you.:D

And what about fiats as well?? (although from now on, it's going to be thanks to Suren! :D)

Oops, the picture is taken in 2007 and no idea by this time how much it would have been rusted in these 2yrs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1154528)
IIRC, the gentleman quoted 3 lakhs.

I agree with Harit,its a restorable car. From what I can see it is weathered but no corrosion. Any more pictures of the insides rear etc? Is the price negotiable too?

is this car still for sale

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 1152430)
And this car comes with an accessory, a brush to clean the radiator!

Seriously, this car has had an alteration made to the Radiator, originally it should have been honeycomb type. And the replaced core is smaller.
Pictures of the side view and interior would be appreciated, and also the engine bay.
What is he asking?

Dear Harit,

It sure is a small world... I came across this car a couple of days back. The surroundings in the photographs above arent familiar but the car sure is..So may be it has changed hands since....

Its in Delhi and in the same condition as in the pictures above. The gentemen wants to sell it and allowed me to take some pictures, so here are some more pictures that might interest you.

I must tell you that the current owner said it was a 1927, model 514....

rgds
saif

That Fiat might be in need of a lot of work but from the pictures appears to be in a very original condition.

The radiator may have been replaced at some time but the other parts are intact. Note the advance / retard and the choke linkages and the original instruments on the dash with the speedo drive still connected.

What is that green wire / pipe draped over the block ?

Would be an expensive project but whoever will take it on will end up with a very original car. Are those Bosch headlight glasses still intact ? What is the price ?

Also that blue Fiat 1100 Balila to be seen through this cars windows is a very interesting car. The engine was the same that is to be found on the later Fiats.

It is one of those four door Fiats with the pillarless clap hands type doors. If one was to open both doors on any side there would be no pillar in the middle, doors latch on to the floor and top.

There was a similar car with a collector in Hyderabad with limo styled "jump" seats giving the car a three row seating configuration.

Do try to get pics of this car and post them too.